Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Is x-plane 10 worth it?

Just to be picky, the F-27 quoted actually does have a 3-d panel.

Oops!... :-/ I'll check it .... sorry ....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions, will do.

I remember reading that the demo didn't really show the program to advantage, but maybe that's changed.

Are there any detailed local airfields, gliding areas and helipads in the demo, rather than the main Seattle international airport?

Cheers

Keith

Are there any detailed local airfields, gliding areas and helipads in the demo

I don't now about any, but I didn't explore it in depth... As soon as I got X-Plane10 Global and the OSM for Portugal (and Spain) I've been flying around my RL well known laces :-)

I did try the As k-21 at some hills nearby KSEA, and even with faint winds the slope winds effect is very close to real and to what I sometimes did near Sintra Airbase (LPST) when we were allowed to operate from there and do some ridge soaring in "Serra de Sintra" :-)

BTW: I don't think that thermals are subject to wind effects, nor do clouds in anyway relate to their presence, but I haven't explored it yet...

In X-Plane the clouds do not move with the wind, like in MSFS/P3d or Condorsoaring. But even in Silent Wings, a dedicated soaring simulator, clouds are still....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Is X-Plane better than FSX? Is FSX better than X-Plane? No and No :-) Each has it's virtues and it's drawbacks.

And this is the problem. When Xplane is head and shoulders better than FSX in all areas, that is the time to buy it. I'm guessing that won't be till Xplane 11 or 12.

Hi,

Of course you should try the demo but answering direct your answer,No,it doesn't worth.For now stay with FSX/FS9.

Rgds

Hamilton Müller

Hi,

Of course you should try the demo but answering direct your answer,No,it doesn't worth.For now stay with FSX/FS9.

Rgds

Can you briefly outline why you think it isn't worth it?

In X-Plane the clouds do not move with the wind, ...

Yes ... that's a pity, because in XP9 they did move. When I recently tried in XP10 to do a timelapse video with moving clouds (as I did in XP9), I was a little bit disappointed. I didn't ask the devs, why this feature was removed in XP10, though. Or ist it simply a bug? I don't know - someone :lol: should ask or file a bug ...

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

I also love the sky, the slopped runways, and the fact that even modelled in a basic way, X-Plane includes thermal and slope lift models more than sufficient to give me great time flying gliders, which is the only type of aircraft I fly officialy in RL :-)

In ways, the slopped runways add.................but then they can also take away from the realism. For instance, the other morning I fired up X-Plane. The runway looked cool, as it sloped down and then back up. I took off, and flew around. I couldn't recognize the area I was at. I then went into the airport menu to check my location. It's an airport I've flown to many times in real life....................only the runway doesn't have near the noticeable slope factor that's portrayed in X-Plane. If I get some time, I could do some comparison picks.

I think it's grossly unrealistic to assume that every single airport in X Plane is going to have accurately sloped runways when the terrain data that was used isn't accurate in the first place.

Sloped runways are more bug than a feature as long as they simply follow the mesh. Some look nice, some make landing impossible.

Well, around where I fly from, in RL and in X-Plane10, I have them very well reproduced in the sim, so, 5 stars for me :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

If X-Plane can't start did you check your Log.txt file inside your X-Plane folder ?

I actually meant that my computer just isn't powerful enough for x-plane 10. So then I don't have the recommend system specs for it. And that's why I have to get a new computer. On the other hand, you guy's are right. There's no yes or no answer to if x-plane is better than FSX. It just has it's cons and pros and that's it. Now, will I buy it. I think so. It does seem worth it for me. :P BTW, do you guy's mind by showing me screenshots of the new x-plane 10 for me? Thank you all very much for your help!

The demo is quite representative of the full XP10 package - just in a smaller dosage.

If you find yourself enjoying what the demo brings to the table, you will probably like the full version. if you find yourself cautious of the demo and not entirely enjoying it, there is little that the full version wil bring to the table other than your local flying areas and you might not be pleased with your investment.

I'm a bit of a scenery guy when it comes to simulation flying. After lengthly trials with the demo, waiting for it's scenery world to improve in various and sundry ways, I decided to give XP10 the benefit of the doubt and purchase it when the price dropped to $70. I thought it might be better if enjoyed as a whole package. Unfortunately for me, I was incorrect. After spending a month with X-Plane 10, I've wiped it from my hard drive and returned to FSX. Depending on your interests, you might find XP10 to be more than well suited to you simulation flying... for me, it doesn't match up. Perhaps someday it will meet my needs, and if so, I have it at the ready. I keep abreast of the X-Plane goings on by reading these and other forums, and should they ever correct the issues I have with the package, I'll be reinstalling faster than you can say "Finishing asyncronous loading".

If you aren't enamoured with the demo, you will not be in love with the full version. If you ARE impressed with the demo, the full version is simply lots more of the same!

Good luck with your decision!

-Greg

Greg, thanks for the response! I will be sure to try out the demo when I get my new computer. Now one question, if I want to stick with FSX, do you think I should have some addons for it, like UTX? And what about the weather, do you recommend active sky or REX? By the time I got FSX, I kept it just default.for all the time I had been flying on it. Thanks!

One more thing, do you know if there's any free scenery and weather addons for FSX that are good? I would love to have free weather and scenery addons for FSX that I can download. If there's no free addons do you know the best addons that are the least expensive? Thanks!

For me it took it's time - I am not at all exigent with AI traffic, highly detailled scenery, or even airliners. What I look for in the first place is a sound base for simulating flight on various types of aircraft, as close to real as my limited RL experience (in terms of number of types) goes, my experience as a passenger, but also as someone who have dedicated many years to flightsimming...

X-Plane10 was my final choice, and the more I use it the more I find it was the best decision I have made :-)

Main Simulation Rig: