Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Is x-plane 10 worth it?

Well I tried the demo, and results are mixed :)

Default joystick assignments were arbitrary to the point of peversity..but easily fixed.

Yet to make sense of the viewing system though, can't find a sensible way to use the joystick POV hat, and I'm too old to turn myself into a christmas tree.

This helped me out tremendously in that respect. http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=30233

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Keith .. assigning the hat switch for viewing is quite easy .. @ work right now but will detail when I get home!

Posted Today, 07:55 AM

Well I tried the demo, and results are mixed :)

Don't give up Keith... try a glider winch or tow start, near some hills...

The views can be set to better results than what I had in FSX, and I'm also too old to turn into a chritmas tree :-))))

Glad you found the difference in the flight dynamics even on the default Baron58. I've been playing around with the LES dc-3 (gorgeous) and now the Carenado Seneca (great feel for a GA twin). I am studying the An-24 manuals :-/.... (superb).

Helicopters are a must - don't forget to use the artificial stability sliders !!!! I have mine set at 20% on all axis since I do not have the rudder pedals (yet)

After flying X-Plane10 for a couple of weeks, when I decided to try LMp3d I was at the same time impressed very positively by the smoothness compared to fsx, the landclass etc... but those flying machines in MSFS/P3D really feel like trains now for me :-(... Well..., felt...

I am placing big expectations on the 64 bit version - probably 10.20

Follow interesting news of the day at http://xsimreviews.com/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks Jon, that looks to be the answer. I do have both X45 and X52 sticks, but prefer a lighter stick for GA...but have a Nostromo with another POV hat on it, hopefully that can be assigned.

Is there a complete list of all the XP10 keyboard commands somewhere?

Jcomm - will try soaring and rotating next chance I get.

Cheers

Keith

Keith- I've never checked online, but you can see what's set up by default in the Keys section of the controller assignment window, and make changes or new key assignments to suit you.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

If you are looking for a new experience to FSX and are willing to embrace a bit of change, then X-Plane is absolutely worth it. Do not expect a point for point comparison with FSX (would be naive and ignorant to do so). I fly X-Plane, FSX, Prepar3d, DCS World, Falcon BMS 4.32 and Strike Fighters (may have missed something), and jump between them quite often. Each offers something that the other one doesn't. There are some things in X-Plane (poor ATC) that still need a lot of work, and some things (like clouds moving due to wind) are still in the development pipeline for X-Plane 10.

There are some poor attempts at advice on this thread already; best is to make up your own mind. Perhaps indicating what type of virtual flying you intend to do will give members the opportunity to give you more relevant comparisons. Personally, I fly X-Plane when I do bush-flying and millitary type flying. The physics and modelling feels much more alive than what FSX can deliver. FSX offers better eye candy (this won't last forever), and obviously more addon variety. I own FSX and X-Plane versions of some of the Carenado aircraft, and I prefer flying these in X-Plane.

As for sloped runways being a bug - it's a matter of garbage in, garbage out. The implementation (great) is let down by the source data (points too far apart), and the result is not that pretty. However in saying that, if a developer could create a digital terrain model from accurate contours or height mapping and can import it into X-Plane, it will offer a very accurate representation of the real thing. So unless a scenery package was designed to make use of this, this feature is best left unchecked.

The physics and modelling feels much more alive than what FSX can deliver.

Since I've had the oppertunity to fly a varity of real life aircraft.............that can be, rather lively; such as small high powered two seaters, ultra-lights, gliders, the Pitt's, Marchetti SF260, etc...

I don't feel that real flight is "always" as "alive" as some think it should be. At least in terms of a constant bounce, or yaw & pitch changes. That's why I have no problem adding "artificial stability".....as in mentioned in a new thread today.

Perhaps indicating what type of virtual flying you intend to do will give members the opportunity to give you more relevant comparisons.

O.K., so what I am going to be mostly doing, is having fun with the heavy jets that come with x-plane 10 and take them on long hauls and medium hauls. If anyone has any other suggestions about getting free addon aircraft, feel free to help me please. I'm not really much of a spender of getting all paware addon aicraft. I also don't need the sophisticated fmc's. The default is fine for my purposes. And the last thing that I'll be doing is a little bit of GA time flying the small Cessna aircraft, and then some turbojets maybe.

Adam

I am placing big expectations on the 64 bit version - probably 10.20

Is the x-plane 10 64 bit out yet? And if anyone can recommend what kind of computer I should be using with x-plane 10, please tell me. I'm going to be getting a new computer soon. Thanks!

Well, I don't use the default "Heavy Metal" in X-Plane10, but have downloaded and will soon install this 737-800:

http://www.eadt.eu/

Other interesting free stuff at that site.

X-Plane10 runs perfectly on my i5-2500@3.3GHz, with 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 card, 500GB WD Sata disk. Windows 7 64 bit is the OS. The system was bought to run MS FLIGHT, and that (great) flight simulator ran just fine as well.

An i7 would most surely be a better option as well as a more powerful, 2GB graphics card.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Well, I don't use the default "Heavy Metal" in X-Plane10, but have downloaded and will soon install this 737-800:

Do you know if the default heavy metal is good in x-plane 10 compared to FSX? And since I'm not a big spender on addon aicraft, is there any freeware addon aircraft available that is at least good? I don't really need aircraft that have a sophisticated FMC, the default FMC that comes with XPX is fine for my purposes. But if someone could recommend any good aircraft for me that are free, that would be great.

Thanks, Adam

I also heard that the default 747 in XPX has a good cabin view of where the passengers are. Do you know if the default aircraft have good flight handling especially the default 747 in XPX? XPX seems pretty fun. I'm excited about getting XPX. Thanks for the great answers!

Thanks, Adam

X-Plane10 runs perfectly on my i5-2500@3.3GHz, with 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 card, 500GB WD Sata disk. Windows 7 64 bit is the OS. The system was bought to run MS FLIGHT, and that (great) flight simulator ran just fine as well.

Well, I'm going for AMD right at the moment. Do you know a good AMD card? Thanks!

I've been playing a bit with the default 747, and it's pretty much on par with the FSX default 747, with maybe a few extras.

So I guess what your saying is that the default 747 is descent right? I'll probably be flying that mostly. Thanks, Adam

I've been playing around with the demo for about a month now and since finding out today that the a really amazing-looking 777 has been released I'm VERY tempted to get XP10 now. I normally fly heavies in FSX, primarily the PMDG NGX and have been waiting a while for a good 777 to be released. PMDG have yet to release their 777.

Beware that if you do than you should revert to the latest rc05, and not stay with beta 11 because of several incompatibilities...

I haven't bought the T7 (yet...) :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Since I've had the oppertunity to fly a varity of real life aircraft.............that can be, rather lively; such as small high powered two seaters, ultra-lights, gliders, the Pitt's, Marchetti SF260, etc...

I don't feel that real flight is "always" as "alive" as some think it should be. At least in terms of a constant bounce, or yaw & pitch changes. That's why I have no problem adding "artificial stability".....as in mentioned in a new thread today.

I understand what you are saying - my experience from flying microlight trikes and shotgun time in light tin had sufficient dosage of constant change. Especially when flying at high density altitudes and a bit of turbulence. There would be smooth days, and there would be action packed ones. FSX does it well, but in my opinion X-Plane does it slightly better, especially the ground handling. Control inputs are slightly over exaggerated in X-Plane imho - it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Control inputs are slightly over exaggerated in X-Plane imho - it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Adjustable.

:wink: