Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Unusual framerate problem

Recently, I have noticed an unusual problem. Basically, I will start FSX, load my plane at the required airport, taxi out to the runway, take off......and then suddenly the framerate will drop to a slideshow. When I pan the VC view, it does so in horrible "jerks". However, after exiting FSX, rebooting it, and loading up exactly the same start parameters a second time, I can take off without any problems. The framerate this time is nice and smooth.

What on Earth is happening here? Why would it "chug for Britain" the first time, and then be nice and smooth after that? I really don't get it :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Anything running in the background? A scheduled Windows Defender scan or something silly could do that.

Hi!

I really don't know about your system exactly what's happening but something definitely sounds wrong. FsX from what I know is quite well programmed regarding memory leaks and stuff compared to Fs9 where you had to do the old Default.XML autogen tweak. If I was you I would try two things first:

1. The framerate slider in settings. Sometimes with another video card I would get big stutters with unlimited set and would be much smoother with 30.

2. More likely I think maybe the graphics card driver. If you can try installing different drivers (but uninstall the one you have first before reinstalling and try to keep a backup). From my experience the newest drivers are definitely not always best and sometimes you get better performance from an older driver or the one which came on the CD with your card.

3. Also quickly are you running with SP2 and in DX10 mode. That might be the problem or a possible solution!

Hope it might help.

Many thanks.

P.

Yes, but why does it work fine when I try it a second time? If it was a problem with graphics drivers, then surely it would happen all the time?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi!

I'm sorry I don't know exactly how FsX or any flightsim works but they do work in mysterious ways from my experience so if you can just try anything and hope that works.

Another quick thing to try might be to move your FsX.cfg to a backup folder and let FsX rebuild a new one. You have to set up everything settingswise again but sometimes it can fix things.

Also do you have SP1 or SP2 installed? Maybe try installing these. They are available on the web although I think Microsoft amazingly have taken them down from their website which is kinda mean!

Hope it might help!

P.

I have FSX Gold Edition installed, which means that I already have SP1, SP2 and Acceleration. I will have to check to see if it happens with any other plane than the Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang (which is the only aircraft that I have been flying for some considerable time).

You know, the ironic part of this story is that quite often I have to post each AVSIM forum message twice to get it to work!!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Are you loading a save? If so, possible corrupt save, make a new one? As you said, try other planes and airports, does it happen all over?

The way to find out, is to tab out of FSX and start Task Manager / Processes when this happens.

That should show you what is running and taking CPU or I/O resources.

If that does not catch it, run Procmon concurrently with FSX and examine the trace after

pausing FSX when the hickup occurs.

Last time something like this happened to me, it was Java doing an update in the background.

Bert

Hi Christopher, sadly I don't have much of a solution for you, but I can certainly empathize with you. Perhaps there is something here for you to consider : http://forum.avsim.n...es/page__st__25 . The folks here have been very generous with their help!

then suddenly the framerate will drop to a slideshow. When I pan the VC view, it does so in horrible "jerks"

I struggled with a way to say the exact same thing you did!! My frame rate dropped so low (less than 1 FPS) that in autopilot, my aircraft was unable to maintain it's course as it was unable to process the commands fast enough to keep it on course.

My guess something is running in the background ... but I have no idea what. When I use resource monitor in WIndows 7, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. FSX, system idle, and system/kernal are the only processes consuming any power or memory, yet 2 of the 4 CPUs are maxed at 100%.

Hope you find a solution!

RM Killins

Hi!

I have FSX Gold Edition installed, which means that I already have SP1, SP2 and Acceleration. I will have to check to see if it happens with any other plane than the Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang (which is the only aircraft that I have been flying for some considerable time).

You know, the ironic part of this story is that quite often I have to post each AVSIM forum message twice to get it to work!!!

To be honest I think we're offering you a lot of things to try but so far you haven't reported on trying anything. My advice would be to actually try some of them and then report back!

Many thanks,

Pierre

The only insight to the better performance the second time is that Windows has the scenery objects and textures cached in memory so you get the better fps the second time since it doesn't have to reload it from disk. It sounds like the speed of the loading initially might either be slow or stuttery. Do you have a fast hard drive or even a SSD? Do you need to defrag? Have others reported that this particular scenery is difficult to load? Try other scenery areas? Best of luck!

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I may try a defrag of the hard disk. Very Bumpy also mentioned about loading from a save, which I do for every one of my flights. I can easily create a new one, so I will try that aswell.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Have you checked your system for a virus/Malware? What about open network connections?

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.