Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Are you using the ATC in X-Plane10?

Airport Ai is also strange and seems to be task/processor dependent. I have tried the experiment of turning graphics features on to near max and then setting the sim to "AI Flys Plane" then watched the plane pretty much wander around semi-drunkenly for an interminable amount of time before final takeoff.

Turn the sim to lowest graphics, and the plane races right to the end of the runway like a pro and soars into the sky.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Turn the sim to lowest graphics, and the plane races right to the end of the runway like a pro and soars into the sky.

Interesting finding! I have my AI set to 0 aircraft (only 1 aircraft - mine, in the simulation, like in MS FLIGHT when not online :-)) I'll have to check that one :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This is the player (Ga) aircraft behaving like this. I learned early to leave the other AI craft off, so I have no idea if this applies to the "Big Metal"

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am an avid FSX user, but there are a lot of attractive aspects about X-Plane 10 and the more that I use it and get comfortable with it, the more I like it. I will be starting to buy more scenery and airports for it to make the environment look better as I get even more comfortable with it.

No one on the LR team have said ATC will not be improved. They are very receptive to customer feedback, and there have been calls for an improved ATC system.

Actually Austin himself said as much when asked in the AVSIM team speak conference. He stated he didn't see anything wrong with it and added he thought "It Rocked" He also outlined the development plan for the next 2 years, in which he termed other then the GUI and implementation of 64Bit, changes would be relatively minor, and ATC/AI was not one of the changes mentioned.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

He also said, as recently as early last year, he never had any plans to change the UI...but he did.

He does listen to his customers. As long as it's a majority vote.

I flew a good flight for my VA today, choosing a Horizon Air flight from KBOI to KSEA. This was to be my first full trip using the XP10 dreaded ATC.

Getting airborne was no hassle and I was vectored on a 360 heading which I obediently followed. Then 2 mins later "You are off course".

I immediately changed heading to get me back on the flight plan FMS track. "You are off course".

Okay, I thought if I can just get past my 1st waypoint this psychological harassment should stop. "You are off..."

Oh **** this, so I flew the rest of the way without ATC.

I can understand that this is WIP but if they could squash this "off course" bug now, at least ATC would be sort-of usable!

David

I can understand that this is WIP but if they could squash this "off course" bug now, at least ATC would be sort-of usable!

E-Mail Austin! :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

i have to admit that the ATC in XP10 is a major step up from XP9 and previous versions, and I use it on all my flights. However, in approach, i'm going missing. Last week, i flew an approach into Vienna (LOWW) and the ATC told me to fly heading 130, until intercepting with RWY34's approach. Then however, it forgot about me and i kept flying until i was over the Balaton Lake (roughly 150nm south east of Vienna). Any attempts to fly back to Vienna (FUEL!) were met with the constant 'you are off course' status from the ATC. I really like the ATC feature, and i will continue using it, but for most approaches, it is better to fly with no ATC coverage, at least in the approach.

FSX has a similar issue with ATC and "off course."  In FSX, if you aren't locked on with the autopilot and GPS, and you get a wind drift, it will vector you back and forth across the flightpath like a fish, making too much heading change, then overcompensating the other direction.  I used to calculate the approximate drift and then ignore the assigned heading change and just fly what kept me on course.

To be honest, I have not tried XP10 ATC yet.

For those who are talking about "no airports", be sure to check out  http://x-plane.cleverest.eu/ . There is a good supply of nicely built airports here for free that only require "unzipping" (just one click in windows) and placing the result in your "Custom Scenery" folder.  This is a growing database and is a great asset for users of XPX.  No - it won't help ATC, but I find the window generated in FSX to take away from the experience as much, or more, as the lack of ATC in XPX.

Just my two cents worth!

John

John Wingold

Hi John, 

Thanks for sharing this. Quick question, when I go to the site, it brings me to a map. If i click on one of the airports, then hit download, It redirects to the gateway x-plane page and then says, scenery not found???  It happened on several airports so far. Below is one of them I tried... Do you know which airports are available and which are not? Thanks in advance. :-)

Best, Jeff

Peter O Knight Airport Scenery

Airport Name: Peter O Knight
Airport ICAO code: KTPF

recommended.png = Recommended version
History

No scenery found...

Hi John, 

Thanks for sharing this. Quick question, when I go to the site, it brings me to a map. If i click on one of the airports, then hit download, It redirects to the gateway x-plane page and then says, scenery not found???  It happened on several airports so far. Below is one of them I tried... Do you know which airports are available and which are not? Thanks in advance. :-)

Best, Jeff

Peter O Knight Airport Scenery

Airport Name: Peter O Knight

Airport ICAO code: KTPF

recommended.png = Recommended version

History

No scenery found...

Hmm, maybe the gateway was down when you tried? I can see that scenery just fine. I used the link from the map and also went there directly. It shows a 2D scenery added by the WEDbot. Hopefully you can grab it by trying again.

Vince