Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Are you using the ATC in X-Plane10?

Your comments on this subject will be important!

I am starting to use it, and would really like to "hear" from others experiences...

Regarding AI I have mine set to 0 (1 aircraft only - mine :-) ) in the skies of X-Plane10.

I never used any commercial products for MSFS, I really enjoyed Propilot99's ATC, and Fly2!'s ATC was also promissing... I use ELITE ATC scenarios, very basic, but useful :-)

• Upvote 1

I try XPX ATC with each new update. At present I do not use it...yet.

If you depart and arrive from an airfield with a nav-aid you choose for your route, proceeding directly on course, then it seems to work OK. However, if you join a route more than 4nm from your departure point it seems to consider you off course and keeps chirping at you.

Jerry

I used the ATC it for the first time last night. I bought this over the weekend:

http://www.flythissim.com/FTS1000_Diamond.aspx

Running it with 3 monitors (2 stretched across the panel, 1 for the x-plane view) I followed a flight plan from KSEA to WN88 and rather surprisingly got the correct vectors to WN88. "Report when runway is in sight" Okelee Dokelee. Actually quite a pleasant experience, except for the occasional "YOU ARE OFF COURSE" repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...But that was only for the initial departure stage.

The AI however, I don't touch with a 10 foot cattle prod. Still though the ATC needs some pretty hefty work. I do have confidence in Chris Serio (is it Chris???) doing the ATC justice.

Rhydian

I bought this over the weekend:

Whow! Friends, aren't we :-))))) Are you going to invite me to visit you :-)

Whow! Friends, aren't we :-))))) Are you going to invite me to visit you :-)

LOL...of course. :lol: So far it's a great bit of software. I'm trying to read the Garmin G1000 manual to be able to use it. I've got some pictures, I'll post them up soon. If all goes well I may start a design for a new simpit based around it...but it will be full scale, so it depends on how the wife feels about having an Diamond DA40 in her living room B)

...but it will be full scale, so it depends on how the wife feels about having an Diamond DA40 in her living room B)

LOL, always the same, in every living room and with every flight sim.

Every time I attempt an ATC controlled flight in X-Plane I want to shoot my monitor within 5 minutes of departing, so... eh.... I'm going to say "not yet".

Won't touch x-pane until the ATC and interaction with, is atleast on par with FSX ATC, ie configurable with a speech software.

I find clicking with a mouse uninspiring.

Without this capability X-plane is just not worth spending money on.

I understand the developers has no intentions of improving the ATC so as I said before, it stays in its box until VOXTAC finally gets here. In the mean time I will stick with fsx and upgrade to Prepar3D.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I understand the developers has no intentions of improving the ATC so as I said before, it stays in its box until VOXTAC finally gets here.

Really?? :( Where did you read that? On the dev blog?

I've used VOXATC. I really like it. I find it really adds immersion in FSX (despite the electronic voices). I attended the talk when it first came out at the Birmingham Flight Sim Convention hosted by RC Simulations. Tegwyn West (developer) is pretty clever bloke. It's a very sophisticated bit of software. I'm sure he'll make wonders when he makes it for X-plane 10. I wonder if he can add the Ai traffic like what happens in the FSX version.

Rhydian

No one on the LR team have said ATC will not be improved. They are very receptive to customer feedback, and there have been calls for an improved ATC system.

I have the VoxATC FSX version but haven't used it since moving towards XPlane. In an email several weeks ago, Tegwyn did hint that he will be looking into an XPlane version after the next FSX update is released. More email requests may help.

More email requests may help.

Count on mine :-)

I try to use ATC on a regular basis now. It works OK if it wasn't for these 2 annoyances:

1. Taxying is a pain with the ATC constantly repeating the route / runway, and more often than not kicking me out of ATC because I "violated the rules" (the box appears).... all I did was trying follow the (erratic) taxi route. Any ideas?

2. Upon arrival at my destination, I always get vectors for the visual, when I really want to do an IFR approach. Bad luck?

No, I don't.

3 things limit the ATC from being effective or ultimate:

AI traffic with data-based generation (making 747s at a grass strip a thing of the past) and parking spots

ATC that understands the en-route system, both VFR and IFR

Interface that allows for easy voice control of built-in system, either built-in voice control or 3rd party

The 3rd one is kind of an annoyance, not really a big deal, but would make ATC far superior to most others if the ATC system was more like a young adult instead of a toddler. I think most people expected the ATC in XP to be more like a teenager than an infant at release.

I hate to say it, but ATC is only in the back of my mind of things that prevent me from fully enjoying my flights. More important to me are the empty airports all over and the plausible-yet-unrealistic autogen and the handling of the aircraft in shifting, unstable winds. The last one is better, but still not yet realistic for me. A small gust still does too much yawing and is far too sudden, never slowly building and dissipating as real winds do.

A small gust still does too much yawing and is far too sudden, never slowly building and dissipating as real winds do.

But I am almost sure the problem is in the weather engine, not in the flight dynamics...

X-plane10 translates variable wind fields in METAR strings to shear AND turbulence!!!! This is the problem...

I also find turbulnece modelled not very realistically... That's why after reading RW Weather I allways open the weather screen an ZERO the turbulence sliders...

you know, it's really a shame this x-plane thing...i guess some of you are new to the flightsim world and don't realize this but...you know all the "crap-ola" that everyone has been complaining about in x-plane lately?....well this isn't news because it's the same exact "crap-ola" that we were all complaining about in x-plane 10-15 years ago when it was a much newer product!

VERY LITTLE has changed with the x-plane software (at least from a mainstream end user's POV)...the lack of a proper atc engine, bad weather engine, flight dynamics issues (especially handling in winds), poor GUI, difficult to find settings/missing options, etc etc etc...these are all things that 10 or 12 years ago I was hoping would mend with time and maturity in the development process.

But now, a decade or so later, to see/hear all these glaring issues are STILL present is really quite sobering to me. You see, to my way of thinking...if the x-plane designer had an interest in or WANTED to fix these issues then certainly by now they would have all been moot. Afterall, he has had a VERY long time to learn and grow with his engine and skills.

I think he needs to either sell the code at this point, take on a hefty partner, or open source it if we are ever to see really big things come of it. 3rd party interest from FSX addon devs is nice but it's not going to fix the inherit and serious flaws within this title that have kept it and will continue to keep it a non contender.

I want to be dead wrong...but I've been wanting to be dead wrong about it for more than a decade now :-(

PS - just so you know...I've purchased X-plane twice over the years in trying to support it's author and development. Versions 5 & 10.

But I am almost sure the problem is in the weather engine, not in the flight dynamics...

X-plane10 translates variable wind fields in METAR strings to shear AND turbulence!!!! This is the problem...

I also find turbulnece modelled not very realistically... That's why after reading RW Weather I allways open the weather screen an ZERO the turbulence sliders...

The thing about that is, why does the flight sim genre habitually require you to do detailed work on the engine just to drive the car? It can get to the edge of drudgery, eventually.

The thing about that is, why does the flight sim genre habitually require you to do detailed work on the engine just to drive the car? It can get to the edge of drudgery, eventually.

:-(

Very true Devon ....

X Plane is constantly evolving. Example: HDR, jet exhaust, volumetric clouds and improvements/adjustments in the flight model. Code optimization. Extra features (some of which I have noted that I would like to see.) The constant work is necessary.

you know, it's really a shame this x-plane thing...i guess some of you are new to the flightsim world and don't realize this but...you know all the "crap-ola" that everyone has been complaining about in x-plane lately?....well this isn't news because it's the same exact "crap-ola" that we were all complaining about in x-plane 10-15 years ago when it was a much newer product!

VERY LITTLE has changed with the x-plane software (at least from a mainstream end user's POV)...the lack of a proper atc engine, bad weather engine, flight dynamics issues (especially handling in winds), poor GUI, difficult to find settings/missing options, etc etc etc...these are all things that 10 or 12 years ago I was hoping would mend with time and maturity in the development process.

But now, a decade or so later, to see/hear all these glaring issues are STILL present is really quite sobering to me. You see, to my way of thinking...if the x-plane designer had an interest in or WANTED to fix these issues then certainly by now they would have all been moot. Afterall, he has had a VERY long time to learn and grow with his engine and skills.

I think he needs to either sell the code at this point, take on a hefty partner, or open source it if we are ever to see really big things come of it. 3rd party interest from FSX addon devs is nice but it's not going to fix the inherit and serious flaws within this title that have kept it and will continue to keep it a non contender.

I want to be dead wrong...but I've been wanting to be dead wrong about it for more than a decade now :-(

PS - just so you know...I've purchased X-plane twice over the years in trying to support it's author and development. Versions 5 & 10.

This sounds like another anti-x plane post.

The GUI has been completely changed. As requested by the consumer.

I've made a post about turbulence and its effects on the flight models. And I can tell you, there is nothing wrong with the turbulence/weather as far as I can see. The problem is in the actual aircrafts flight model if it is not done correctly. I have proven this with screenshots.

You can bet your house and life savings that Austin will never sell his src code for X Plane nor will he take on a hefty partner.

The settings are all found on 1 page within X Plane. It doesn't really get much easier than that.

Controller and key settings are arranged as "basic" and "advanced". If you can navigate through a registered version of FSUIPC, then X Plane controller and key settings navigation will prove to be no problem.

The ATC engine has only just been introduced. I remember FS2002's (the first time the MSFS franchise introduced ATC) ATC engine was actually even worse than the current X Plane ATC engine. Give it time. I hear VoxATC are showing some interest in X Plane.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but some of your statements are incorrect.

...if you think the ATC has only recently been implemented then either you havent been around long enough to know or you simply are not able to remember...but it's been in there for quite alot of years now...I have a copy of the v5 disk and atc is included as it was even before that. Actually my points aren't incorrect...they are more liken to conjecture unfortunately. The point is...there is alot of things that could have/should have been attended to many years ago. Now everyone's hoping to breathe new life into it because the long term future of Microsoft's platform is virtually non existant at this point in time. It's just a shame thats all im saying, because xplane has had so many development years ###### away IMO. Now that he's getting some attention maybe things will change for the better now...but it'll require some change in thought and vision on the Author's part.

I've been around X Plane long enough to know it had ATC prior to V10. But it's dramatically improved and now includes AI.

I don't think anyone is hoping for anything really. It's a matter of personal choice. Larry Adamson has himself said that 3rd party developers can keep FSX alive for quite a while yet.

There are those of us who simply believe that XP is the better overall platform. And I expect nothing different from those who believe that their choice of platform is THEIR preferred choice.

I've been around X Plane long enough to know it had ATC prior to V10. But it's dramatically improved and now includes AI.

I don't think anyone is hoping for anything really. It's a matter of personal choice. Larry Adamson has himself said that 3rd party developers can keep FSX alive for quite a while yet.

There are those of us who simply believe that XP is the better overall platform. And I expect nothing different from those who believe that their choice of platform is THEIR preferred choice.

But, I don't yet. Perhaps some day....

In the meantime, there is still too much good development for FSX, to dismiss it.

L.Adamson

But, I don't yet. Perhaps some day....

In the meantime, there is still too much good development for FSX, to dismiss it.

L.Adamson

-sigh-

Larry, it ISN'T about YOU and what YOU prefer.

Just when I start developing respect for you and some of your thoughts and opinions, along with letting bygones be bygones, you go and shoot it all down with a post like that.

-sigh-

Larry, it ISN'T about YOU and what YOU prefer.

Just when I start developing respect for you and some of your thoughts and opinions, along with letting bygones be bygones, you go and shoot it all down with a post like that.

Then you're still "reading" it, much too strongly. It's not that big of a deal. I suppose I'll just temper Jcomms enthusiasm a bit. In other words, I'm not totally moving away from the other brand. As I said, the other brand is still getting some good addons too. It's not dead, and unsupported. And yes, I'll still want the DC-3..........seriously.

L.Adamson