Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Clandenstine with the Cub

So finally I have spent some flying time with the Deluxe Carbon Cub, have been flying some clandenstine cargo jobs in Alaska for the last couple of days with it. I figured I would give it a try knowing it would be easier to takeoff and land at some of these smaller airstrips with nice tall trees off the end of the runway. Only drawback is , it can be a little slow.

I had previously only done one short flight with the Cub, now that I have done a few more I am enjoying it more. I find though the prop effect to be pretty strong whilst cruising, I have to continually feed in a fair amout of right rudder to keep the wings level. Thankfully my rudder pedals are pretty comfortable using, so not too big a deal. I guess I could disable the prop effects for flying the Cub, just hate too as I like to fly with full effects. The rudder also seems really, really sensitive on the Cub, much more so than on the Maule, or even the Stearman.

Here are some pics of the small airstrip I landed at on my last clandenstine job a few minutes ago, man those pine trees almost just reach out to grab you when crossing over the runway.

2012-9-3_8-58-32-881.jpg

2012-9-3_8-59-59-322.jpg

2012-9-3_9-0-41-49.jpg

Dang., sorry Louis, I really did not pay much attention to the name - I will try to make note if I do something like this again.

So many great short dirt strips surrounded by tall trees and so little time. Even more fun in the dark.

Ok so this one, was a clandenstine job, from TOK Junction to Paxson.

Started out cutting through some valleys, even following a road for a bit, to cllimbing over some snow capped mountains before finally getting to my remote destination.

2012-9-3_10-54-35-365.jpg

2012-9-3_11-1-43-354.jpg

2012-9-3_11-3-49-316.jpg

2012-9-3_11-14-43-197.jpg

2012-9-3_11-35-12-411.jpg

2012-9-3_12-5-46-783.jpg

2012-9-3_12-10-39-271.jpg

2012-9-3_12-11-4-706.jpg2012-9-3_12-11-12-781.jpg

2012-9-3_12-12-21-406.jpg

I find though the prop effect to be pretty strong whilst cruising, I have to continually feed in a fair amout of right rudder to keep the wings level.

Set the fuel selector to the left tank and burn some fuel out of it to balance the plane. You'll need to run on only the left tank for several minutes, but it's not that critical, just get close. It straightens the plane right out, no need for other correction. This works the same with the Maule.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Set the fuel selector to the left tank and burn some fuel out of it to balance the plane.

I never would have thought of something like that, thanks for the tip and will give that a try the next flight!

I've flown several clandestine's with the cub and always at night. That can make landings interesting sometimes especially when you can't see the trees guarding the runway until they are almost in your windscreen. I've never seen the law in the cub either. Now that I said that, I'll probably run into them on the next one I fly.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals