Sign in to follow this  
camaflight

White Autogen Squares

Hi all,

all of a sudden I have encountered a problem with autogen textures.

White squares pop up and disappear continually at GROUND level where ever I move around in the FS world - default or addon sceneries.

I have searched a lot of fora for this problem, however, without finding a clear successful solution.

Setting the autogen slider to none (all the way to left) will leave the problem out. Hence I assume that this is related to the autogen textures.

I have tried following to solve the problem:

Adjusting the FS cfg. file by setting other values for

¤ PAN_RATE

¤ TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS

¤ TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS

Replaced all agn.-files in the sceney\world\texture with the default ones (I assume these are the autogen textures)

Updated my graphic card driver with the newest offered by NVIDIA.

The problem still persists.

Here are my specs.:

- Intel Core Quad i7-920

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

- Socket-1366, DDR3, ATX, SLI&CrossFireX, 3xPCI-Ex(2

- 10000RPM, SATA, 3 Gb/s, 16MB

- Sata 3 Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM

- SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB, 7200RPM

- W7 Home premium 64 Bit

- Wide FS client PC with ASE-weather engine and more

Hope someone knows about this problem and could assist me in order to help me back on track.

Carl

This is a texture problem. FS9 can't find the textures for the autogen objects.

Try to replace the default textures from your installation disks.

This is a texture problem. FS9 can't find the textures for the autogen objects.

Try to replace the default textures from your installation disks.

Hi,

thanks for responding on this. You mean the scenery\world\texture-agn.files ? That's what I have done, as described.

Carl

Hi,

thanks for responding on this. You mean the scenery\world\texture-agn.files ? That's what I have done, as described.

Carl

No, I mean the *.bmp files in C:\Flight Simulator 9\Texture.

Before you replace the files in that folder I recommend to try what N60JBravo suggested (replacing the Tree*.bmp files) because your screenshot looks like tree textures are missing (thus showing as white boxes).

No, I mean the *.bmp files in C:\Flight Simulator 9\Texture.

Before you replace the files in that folder I recommend to try what N60JBravo suggested (replacing the Tree*.bmp files) because your screenshot looks like tree textures are missing (thus showing as white boxes).

Hi rainerk,

of course, and as you see now - your and Joe's information surely made my day !

Thanks to you too !

Regards,

Carl

To expand on this a bit, there should be 5 files named trees*.bmp in your ...\FS9\Texture folder.

For instructions on how to restore the originals from your install disc visit this site - Jim's Flightsim Pages - Restoring Files From the Installation Disks

regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

just got aware of that my thanks to you wasn't posted properly. So again, thanks for helping me out of this, much apreciated !

Have not a clue though what caused those textures to vanish from my sim.....

Regards,

Carl

Installing some texture replacement apps might have caused that as they should move the original textures to a backup folder before inserting their own. If it is an .exe installer maybe it did not finish.

Hi Joe,

just got aware of that my thanks to you wasn't posted properly. So again, thanks for helping me out of this, much apreciated !

Have not a clue though what caused those textures to vanish from my sim.....

Regards,

Carl

Installing some texture replacement apps might have caused that as they should move the original textures to a backup folder before inserting their own. If it is an .exe installer maybe it did not finish.

Hi Ron,

yes, sounds logical - I have "a couple" of such apps :wink: and they're all supplied with .exe installer

Regards,

Carl

Hi Ron,

yes, sounds logical - I have "a couple" of such apps :wink: and they're all supplied with .exe installer

Regards,

Carl

As OPA used to advise . Be wary of exe files that install directly into FS9.

When installing stuff into FS its always a good idea to install into a folder that you can create yourself outside of the FS main folder(I use one I named zippo) all downloads are are installed into this first so I can take a look at what I may be putting into my main FS installation .This is also good for downloaded aircraft as well as you can get any editing, fiddling ,texture altering (32 to dxt3) ,sound and panel changing done before adding to the main aircraft folder.

If you install any downloaded stuff directly into your main FS installation folder, you may get more than you bargained for.

cheers Andy

David's (OPA) is still helping us all.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

As OPA used to advise . Be wary of exe files that install directly into FS9.

When installing stuff into FS its always a good idea to install into a folder that you can create yourself outside of the FS main folder(I use one I named zippo) all downloads are are installed into this first so I can take a look at what I may be putting into my main FS installation .This is also good for downloaded aircraft as well as you can get any editing, fiddling ,texture altering (32 to dxt3) ,sound and panel changing done before adding to the main aircraft folder.

If you install any downloaded stuff directly into your main FS installation folder, you may get more than you bargained for.

cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

just to supply a bit. OPA was quite right about this and so you. I'm usually do according to this advise, except for those addons that come from vendors that already have a "hub"-folder in my sim. (Multiple installations from same vendor). Maybe one should use the same procedure as you describe for them as well..... But, won't that be a problem later on with updates, uninstallation and so on ? (a registry problem I mean).

Further more there exists addons that replace textures at users discretion so to say."REX" or "Ground Environment" f.ex.; which gives you the option to change themes. When one of those replacement processes get hung up or don't finnish the replacement for any reason some texture may get lost?

There is of course also a problem with those addons that come with .exe-installer that gives no option for adressing the files.

Regards,

Carl

Some .exe installers get your FS path from the registry and install directly to FS and sub folders from that. They may not allow an installation folder choice. Worst are the sceneryu installs that replace the default scenery APxxxx.bgl and ABxxxx.bgl files which have multiple airports/areas in them (tiles). They can knock out a change from another scenery that does this.

In all fairness, however, there are certain items in the APxxxx.bgl afd files that can not be excluded from add-ons such as default ILS/LOC navaids. The ID can not be changed, just the frequency and some other properties. Therefore the designers modify the default tile folders for those.

Some .exes are packed Winzip autoinstalls and the file contents can be examined as a .zip file. Others not so such as InstallShield packed files.

I recommend installing these Addons into a sandbox first to observe what they change, then to make backups of the changed file and then to install the Addon properly. From time to time I write a little .txt file with remarks about the changes and save it into the FS2004 directory.

If possible, I just copy the Addon from the sandbox into FS2004 and edit scenery.cfg myself. Caution - I only do so with freeware or legally bought Addons.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

All textures restored, thanks !

My sim is pretty well organized; All changes that I'm aware of, are not done without making backup of the default files in question. I always (well 99 %) then write a text file with reference to installation file and so on. All freeware scenery installations are devided into continents and then countries......, library files are picked out and put into a common folder to avoid duplicates of .bgl files and .bmp-files.....well and much more...

I also have kept all downloaded scenery .zip's in the same way and a copy of every text-file made lies in respectively download folders....

(It's a lot of work all together, made over several years though. It's all a little

bit ----> :Nerd:'y you know, but it usually pays off...)

(No wonder that I find it troublesome switching to FSX :Whew:)

It's difficult of corurse when a problem sneaks unseen into the sim. Good to have this nice forum here then....

By the way, (a little off.topic) one of the most beneficial efforts I've made lately is to change all .bmp's in the AI-folders and scenery folders to DXT3 with alpha channel. A lot of airports that were slow before are now showing a tremendous increase in performance.

Well, thanks to you all again.

Carl