Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Helicopters for FSX...Which is absolute best?

Which helicopter for FSX has the best overall combination of flyability, realistic detail, best VC, superb sounds, etc.? I've flown many of them, but for some reason or other, I haven't found ONE that seems to be "addictive" to fly. No problem if it's payware.

I've always respected the opinions of simmers on this forum, and I'd like your valuable input on this.

Stan

The Dodo Sim Bell 206 probably.

Nemeth Designs and Milviz have some really nice ones too. The Nemeth AW109 keeps catching my eye

Cheers

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

The DoDo Sim B206 Ranger is the consensus most realistic simulator helicopter available right now. Check over at Hovercontrol for detailed information. I have it and have around 150 hours of sim time on it and have flown a real heli in the passed. The DoDosim is very well done.

Danny

For eggbeaters, there's really only Dodo's 206 and then all the rest are in a TOTALLY different league. Some of the others, including the Milviz/ND stuff can look nice, but they don't fly like helicopters. The Aerosoft Huey is in second place, and it's a nice second-place. But the Dodo is as close as I think FSX will ever get, according to the RL heli guys. You can autorotate in it. It does a credible ring-vortex state. I fly the Huey sometimes, as it's a nice bird as well, but 90% of my heli flying is the Dodo for years now.

dodo 206 absolutely in a league of its own although its age is starting to show.

Fight dynamics / Real life heli simulated etc.. Nothing even compares. as above.. Vortex ring state etc etc etc.. huge list that is not available in any other helicopter..

Want good looking eye catching set of flying heli textures... nemeth design , aerosoft huey as well as cera huey's 212 & 412.

WOW.....it's a true consensus of opinion. I'm off to get the Dodo 206.

Thanks a lot. I'll use today, Labor day, to put some time into that heli. Appreciate it.

Stan

Do people actually fly those wingless wonders? I deleted all my whirly birds..I know they hate that term..anyway my favorite is none of the above..

I think helicopters are a blast to fly every now and then. The ones with good flight models provide a nice challenge and provide hours of entertainment when trying to fly and land them into tight spots.

I like to fly them in the Orbx PNW area and land on some of the mountain top heliports/ranger stations. It can be a nice challenge that can take many hours of practice to do successfully.

The only thing with helis is that a good set of flight controls is a must to make them easier to fly.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I love flying the dodo but the VC is a huge disappointment. Its so default FS2004. I wish someone would sort it out, or even better the Dodo people would start again with a Hughes 500. Now that is a sexy chopper. Generally though your looking outside 99% of the time so it doesnt really matter.

I couldnt fly it very well untill I discovered (actually read in the manual I think) to zoom right out. 30%. Then you get proper depth perception. (might not be necassary with wideview=true though)

I love flying the dodo but the VC is a huge disappointment. Its so default FS2004.

That's the main reason I never bought it. That and I don't have realistic chopper hardware so what's the point of flying an ultra realistic helo without something that resembles helicopter controls?? (Maybe this is the reason I stick to GA fixed wing)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah but theres some things you need a chopper for. I have just got the PlayHorizon Scotland North scenery (covers where I live) and it is amazing. I have had some of my best sim moments ever in that dodo, trying to land on my favorite mountain tops or exploring tracks I intend to go mountain biking on in RL. Its definately worth it, you can almost forget the horrible cockpit.

The Dodosim is for folks who are really into Helo's. Cause you need to reconfigure your yoke and throttles and what not for that sim. I understand that it has as various levels of difficulty where you can get by even if you are not a heavy helo flyer.

But if you want eye candy..then look at that Augusta by Nemeth design for casual helos flying which is not much more than the default then

http://www.nemethdesigns.com/payware/44-agustawestland-aw109-fsx.html

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Dodosim it is! and I use a Saitek X52 to fly it along with CH pedals. If you check the following thread on the EZdok forum, you'll find my post dated 30 December 2011 which contains my joystick configuration adapted to Dodosim which I need not change when flying other 'stick' aircraft. In addition to using only slight movements of the joystick and pedals, remember these two things when configuring joysticks to fly helicopters: Sensitivity set at maximum and no Null Zones.

http://www.simforums...W=configuration

JJ

I can only echo the comments about the Dodosim 206. The only helicopter I have real flight hours in is the JetRanger. The only thing the sim is missing is the smell of fuel burning and the sensation of moving. Otherwise the systems are modeled well. CERA 212 and Nemeth CH-53E, and Aerosoft SH-60 Seahawk are my next favorites. I'm looking forward to the Cera UH-60 Blackhawk.

I enjoy systems andI try to stay away from the auto-starts and ctrl-e starts for my rotorary-wing simming and try to mimick the checklists as much as allowed in FSX.

Keith Guillory

good flight dynamics can be had for any helicopter by using the HTR package from Fred Naar (available at hovercontrol). vortex ring state, ground effect, afcs, etc .all possible. so, a good model by cera. nemeth, or whatever can be upgraded to have 'realistic' behavior.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

MilViz/Nemeth Design Boeing CH-47D Chinook is awesome, superb VC, fun to fly. You need Acceleration to get it working.