Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed P3D and EULA's for Add-On's

We won't chase you with lawyers if you port a FSX aircraft that has a P3D version, but you have forfeited your right to tech support.

This policy may change, but it is the one we have for the time being.

This is a very sensible and level-headed view that I would like for more developers to adopt or at least openly acknowledge.

Who is threatened (except maybe lawyers, and not even with their life) if you port an unlicensed product into P3D?

+1

I don't understand the 'danger' in moving a product over to an improved platform.

-Maybe it does violate the EULA to port the product to P3D. - You don't get support but, beyond that, what is the big deal with developers being so strict about porting products?

-Maybe it does violate the EULA to port the product to P3D. - You don't get support but, beyond that, what is the big deal with developers being so strict about porting products?

At the end It all come down to $$$.

At the end It all come down to $$$.

They aren't going to get a cent from me if they are going to try to 're-sell' their products in a new installer... :lol:

I really like what FSDreamTeam and Carenado are doing.... If only others would follow! :rolleyes:

Problem is there is too little real information and quite a bit of misinformation available about the issue which leads to some weird speculations. for example - who can and cannot buy the "academic" version? Answer - anybody who has $50. The "academic" version is a ploy intituted by many manufacturers to allow price fluctuation on a product. Not a big deal. Anyone who is not a student buy the "academic" version of MS Office? Did ANYONE ever ask you for your student ID? And they never will. According to the spirit of the "academic" EULA (both LM and MS), the purchaser is violating the agreement. But in practice the "intent" of the EULA appears quite different, else both LM and MS would be chasing down the violators.

The situation with P3D and add-ons can be much more complex with some developers who have other business areas. For example - suppose a developer made a product priced for retail FSX. Suppose the same developer provided the SAME product, under a different name for a commercial purpose at a greatly increased price? Now let's say this vendors retail product is apparently working in the "commercial" version of P3D. If I were a commercial customer of developer, I *might* ge quite annoyed. That's just one possible scenario that stretches the " i paid for it and i can use it where I wish" logic.

I have a feeling it's leading more to a "I paid for it and I can use it as I wish but I won't tell too many people that I did it" logic.

Personally, if I port any add on I have purchased over to P3d and the developer later releases a P3D only version, I will support them and purchase it. Up until that time, If I can get it to work, I will without fear of retribution or any guilt whatsoever.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

"I paid for it and I can use it as I wish but I won't tell too many people that I did it"

:lol:

Did ANYONE ever ask you for your student ID?

People have shown me their IDs - but not on my request :lol:

Makes all sense IMO. And btw. I paid for REX-E P3D key... supporting is the key.

And btw. I paid for REX-E P3D key... supporting is the key.

I don't mind a very minimal fee; I was referring to the idea that 3PDs could charge full price for P3D.

I don't mind a very minimal fee; I was referring to the idea that 3PDs could charge full price for P3D.

Of course charging is not bad, but you have to take the whole thing into perspective... imagine buying a FSX version of NGX for $70, and then PMDG wanting $200 for commercial version. Or more? The thing is we are still using the sim at home. Privately. Not commercially.

This is where the problem is, something vgbaron pointed quite correctly - many people buy the student version, although not being a student. Why? Because they are using it at home. Because MS wants them to.

So how about the same scheme for P3D and 3PD addons for P3D? Man, that sounds sick... :lol:

Futher more, about $$$, the day that P3D will be fully DX11 compliant what do you think will happen...of course all your today's addons will work with P3D DX11... BUT...your addons will not show any DX11 benefit as they were made under DX9 or DX10 ...

So from there let say that a 3PD make a new version of their addon (let say Orca airport) P3D DX11 compatible and it's two times better compare to what you already have under DX9 or DX10....what will you do if you want this addon, you'll have to buy the same addon again unless the same 3PD make a patch (if that is possible) to convert your existing Orca airport addons to be DX11 compatible....will a patch like that be free of charge....I don't think so, that was just an example about one airport, what about a whole region like PNW....phew.

See, you'll have to buy the same addons all over again (or a patch) if you want them fully DX11 compatible unless you get a free patch for every addons you have...do I hear "can of worm"...

PS: to get a real answer concerning my point would be to ask the question to 3PD making addons for P3D.

Futher more, about $$$, the day that P3D will be fully DX11 compliant what do you think will happen...of course all your today's addons will work with P3D DX11...

You think ? -- you hope !! , but the reality may well be quite different.

Remember the issues with addons, when FSX went from DX9 with RTM, through to DX10 with Sp2.

Surely the issue is using an addon sold and licensed for the FSX entertainment: market, being run in P3D, when it will be used Commercially. It's the EULA of the ADDON, not that of FSX or P3D that applies here.

As with P3D, it would seem reasonable, when a product is used Commercially, as opposed to personal entertainment/education, that the developer should have the rights and options to charge the Commercial user more, and license the Commercial user in a different way.

At the moment, the addon developer can do this, but can only enforce this by license & legal means.

If P3D has some programatical way to be tested to determine that it was running under a Commecial License, then the addon developer would have the OPTION, to make that test, and decide if he is going to allow his addon product to run in Commercailly Licensed P3D environment, or not, depending on the Addon's License / EULA.

This would programatically prevent the abuse of a P3D Addon Non-Commecillay licensed product. from running in a Commercial sim.

It would be hoped that if a developer knew with some certaintly, that they could control and charge Commercial rates, for Commercial use, then they could better afford to keep the entertainment/education licensed products at an affordable cost.

-----------

Also, can imagine that some addon developers may be so concerned about legal action, should their product malfunction in a Commercial environment, that they will either not develop the product, or will actively prevent it from running in any product that "can" be used Commercially. ie ALL versions of P3D.

( I think we are starting to see this happen already !! )

If the developer had better and more relaible control over the environment that their product ran it, it should be win-win situaion for all concerned.

You think ? -- you hope !! , but the reality may well be quite different.

Remember the issues with addons, when FSX went from DX9 with RTM, through to DX10 with Sp2.

Of course 3PD had a problem with that, they were making DX9 addons, some 3PD started to make their addons DX10 compatible after the released of SP2, still some are not fully DX10 compliant, I bought a plane DX10 compatible BUT without VC shadows...not 100% compliant as FSX DX10 vanilla if you ask me.

I like the answer I got from one developer when I asked why I was seeing black square boxes in front of their cars in DX10, they told me that this was a DX10 bug because DX10 was a preview and they could not do anything about it since their addons were only 100% DX9 compliant...Steve here got this bug fixed (and more) in DX10.. http://forum.avsim.n...hints-and-help/

Here is a example, I got Crysis 2 some time ago, Crysis 2 was DX9 and DX10 compatible, the game was working on DX9, DX10 and DX11 card (mine is DX11), some time after released we got a free DX11 patch with a free high resolution patch, I was a happy camper because with my card I was able to get all the benefit of DX11 since my card was a GTX 480, if one was running a GTX 285 ..to bad for them since this card is DX9 and DX10 compliant only.

Same with P3D (FSX) you can run P3D in DX9 or DX10 assuming your card is DX10 compliant (who does not have a card like that these days), so let say that P3D become DX11 tomorrow like Crysis is now, your addons will still be working in DX9 and DX10, but for them to get the DX11 benefit I'm assuming that they will need a patch after you downloaded the DX11 patch for P3D like we did with Crysis to get the DX11 benefit.

Again, there is not to many possibility here, either you get a patch for your addons or you buy new addons to get the bebefit of P3D DX11.

Now knowing that, did somebody asked 3PD making addons for P3D how will their present addons work in P3D DX11, will you need a patch or will you have to buy brand new addons to get the benefit of DX11 in P3D? Nothing like getting the answer from the horse's mouth right? About asking them? I'm sure they will be more then happy to answer that, and that will put a end to all speculations.

Your right -- If I want to know more, I'll go ask some horses. :t0152:

( Once I have helped Ben get up off the floor !! )

( Once I have helped Ben get up off the floor !! )

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

My day has been made Geoff.