Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed P3D and EULA's for Add-On's

I've always been on the sidelines of this P3D/EULA talk. Played it safe, but I'll just leave this here. This is Microsoft's official word on the EULA (not Lockheed's). Doesn't state anything about entertainment purposes. They refer to it as "consumer", which I assume most people here are consumers, instead of commercial entities (No one here on this board runs a flight training business). More like a hobby for most people than something you're doing for a job or for school. Least that's how I see my FSX usage, so I've pretty much stayed away from P3D. I've learned to respect their rules and I do not have P3D installed, nor any add-ons and such for it.

I've always been on the sidelines of this P3D/EULA talk. Played it safe, but I'll just leave this here. This is Microsoft's official word on the EULA (not Lockheed's). Doesn't state anything about entertainment purposes. They refer to it as "consumer", which I assume most people here are consumers, instead of commercial entities (No one here on this board runs a flight training business). More like a hobby for most people than something you're doing for a job or for school. Least that's how I see my FSX usage, so I've pretty much stayed away from P3D. I've learned to respect their rules and I do not have P3D installed, nor any add-ons and such for it.

That post is from 2007. It has little, if any relevance to how Lockhead Martin chooses to distribute P3D and what the licensing is now. LM has made their position clear. Anyone can buy and use P3D legally but they will not market it as entertainment software.  

Also, the only mention of a EULA in that post is to say that ESP could be used for commercial purposes that FSX forbids. 

But do whatever makes you comfortable. 

I find it curious that some folks continue to consider themselves outside of the all inclusive meta-group "anyone..." :Hypnotized:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I find it curious that some folks continue to consider themselves outside of the all inclusive meta-group "anyone..." :Hypnotized:

Agree 100%!

I bet that some folks are a couple of inches shorter because their heels are dug in so deep! Hope that they are able to come out the hole that they've dug and join the rest of us as we start using and enjoying P3D V2.0!!

Lyn

That post is from 2007. It has little, if any relevance to how Lockhead Martin chooses to distribute P3D and what the licensing is now. LM has made their position clear. Anyone can buy and use P3D legally but they will not market it as entertainment software.  

Also, the only mention of a EULA in that post is to say that ESP could be used for commercial purposes that FSX forbids. 

But do whatever makes you comfortable. 

Sorry about that. I'm just a bit of a rule freak. Both inside and outside simming. I guess I just need to relax more and go with the flow (I mean Prepar3D).

Are there any plans on updating the list that is linked to in the OP? The last update is more than a year old, so it seems. Now P3D 2.0 is coming very close, an updated list might be of interest to a lot of us. (Or maybe just a few...).

I just read the last posts and it was an interesting read btw. I have to say I agree with Alain: it's a ridiculous idea to expect a developer to mention every product his add-on does NOT work with, of course.  It's the same as saying every XBox game should have a sticker on it saying it won't run on a PlayStation. When you are interested in an addon you simply look on the add-on's site to see for what program the addon is meant. If you only see mention of FSX, it probably is only meant to be used in FSX. (I had a look at the PMDG 777 site and it clearly says 'This is an FSX ONLY product' so everyone who bought the plane for P3D could have known better.) Life can be so simple...

Luckily LM also made it quite clear who can use P3D (which is anyone) so that solves another problem. So let's forget about the EULA's and focus on flight simming instead!

Hi Jeroen,

Well put, Personally, I've been enjoying training with P3D since day one and have "NO" intentions of going back to FSX and/or Xplane. Bring on P3D 2.0...

Are there any plans on updating the list that is linked to in the OP? The last update is more than a year old, so it seems. Now P3D 2.0 is coming very close, an updated list might be of interest to a lot of us. (Or maybe just a few...).

I just read the last posts and it was an interesting read btw. I have to say I agree with Alain: it's a ridiculous idea to expect a developer to mention every product his add-on does NOT work with, of course.  It's the same as saying every XBox game should have a sticker on it saying it won't run on a PlayStation. When you are interested in an addon you simply look on the add-on's site to see for what program the addon is meant. If you only see mention of FSX, it probably is only meant to be used in FSX. (I had a look at the PMDG 777 site and it clearly says 'This is an FSX ONLY product' so everyone who bought the plane for P3D could have known better.) Life can be so simple...

Luckily LM also made it quite clear who can use P3D (which is anyone) so that solves another problem. So let's forget about the EULA's and focus on flight simming instead!

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

:shok:  :Shocked:  :friends: