Sign in to follow this  
Gh3003

Runway angle indicators?

Hello everyone!

Today when i took my Queen for a spin a question struck me...

The 747-400 must have that ability i'm thinking about. How else will pilot manage to land at zero sight?

I do not know what it is called, but the "standard" gps has it in one of the Cessnas.

When closing in on an airport, one can se some long green cones indicating the angle of the runway. I have not found that on the 747-400.

I called it cones... What i try to say is the green lines in the gps showing wich angle the runway is to avoid landing through the terminals)) it is not on the 747.

For me this mean i have to take a visual overlook (and overfly) everytime i go to a new airport, so i know where the runway (angle) is.

I hope i presented this understandable.

How to do this?

Best regards from Gunnar

In low-visibility conditions, the instrument landing system (ILS) would most likely be used. You have glide slope indications at the right side and localizer indications at the bottom of the primary flight display, which provide precise visual guidance for vertical and lateral navigation, respectively, and take shape in the form of pink/purple diamond scales. In normal operations, you would have selected the airport, runway, and standard terminal arrival route (STAR) in the flight management computer (FMC) before approach (so you would already know the heading and orientation of the runway). Once the approach is established and the GS and LOC captured, you use the flight director and the GS and LOC indications as references instead of outdoor visual references, keeping the GS and LOC diamonds in the center of their respective scales through making small corrections. You should always review charts or maps before flying to an airport, though, so you know what to expect.

The glide path is listed on the approach plates for each airport that is CAT III (near zero visablity) capeable. Also inidcated on the plates is the decision height, the minimum height in which you must be able to see the runway or else you MUST go around. The 747 has the "cone" indications as stated by Owen. Also realize that in true CAT III operations, most carriers require piolots fly the approach in Approach/Land autopilot mode at least to decision height and sometimes all the way down. So get some practice setting that up as well.