Sign in to follow this  
SoloTwo

About to purchase MegaSceneryEarth Arizona, yay or nay?

PC Aviator has both the North and Central packages for 50% off, plus the 10% for the labor day special. I recently purchased Flight Beam's KPHX so I'll be flying in the area a bit more. I don't fly VFR, mainly over FL200. Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T purchase it for this price? Also thinking of getting the southern part but that is full price and I'm afraid of it becoming a deal of the day soon after I purchase it...

And yes I have the freeware Grand Canyon KGCN scenery as well.

I think I am right in saying that some of the Megasceneries are very good, but there are also some which are, well, crap. I purchased southern California and Las Vegas which are brilliant. I also bought some areas of Florida which are complete rubbish. Some of the sceneries, eg. southern Cal which are 1m per pixel, as is Hawaii, but I think I'm right in saying that there are many areas that are not so high in resolution. Personally speaking I won't install anything that is lower than 1m res on my rig. As for Arizona, well, no doubt you'll get some feedback... however, I would highly recommend you take a look at Bluesky sceneries at http://www.blueskyscenery.com/AZ.html

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi!

I agree with Rockcliff who has made some good suggestions. I have Megascenery Northern California (Napa Valley and the Bay Area etc.) for Fs9 and it is excellent. I have heard mixed things about the newer Megascenery Earth the main thing being the source of the photoreal images. Some people have said they come from lower quality Satellite photos but I have never tried them so I don't know. I have seen some very nice screenshots in the forum using Megascenery Earth so some parts must be good.

I don't know if you're interested or can be bothered but it's very easy to make Photoscenery using tools like FsEarthTiles. It takes a bit to learn the process but it's all pretty much automated and very easy providing you don't have much open water or coastlines you want to make. If it's just land you pretty much just enter the Lat/Long and drag a box over how much scenery you want to make and let it do it's thing. It can take a few hours to make a big area of 1m/pixel scenery so be warned.

I used this link:

http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/read.php?f=9&i=6835&t=6835</strong>

And an updated version of the program is called FSET103.rar available with a google search.

It's more work than it's worth sometimes though I'll warn you!

Hope it might help!

Pierre

The Arizona tiles I have flown around are pretty good actually. As said above some tiles are rubbish (like some parts of Florida such as Miami).

I flew into KPHX just last week and posted the flight on my blog>>>

http://altstiffsim.b...08/arizona.html

What scenery were you running in that screenshot with Colorado Springs?

Arizona/ Phoenix from Mega scerny is very good. Its got reasonable city autogens and the desert/Dry mountains don't need autogens and its perfect for Megascenery. With Flightbeam's Phoenix, its a perfect mix. I also have Puma country (freeware) Can't recall where I got it from..so I can fly Phx to Tucson. I love Photo scenery for deserts.

Dusk/Night approach to KPHX from the west is really good...

Manny

Here it is Flightbeam KPHX and Mega Phoenix with UT Terrain night street lights

7860130118_f2effbe7bf_k.jpg

7860568568_7a03e955d6_k.jpg

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What scenery were you running in that screenshot with Colorado Springs?

MSE Colorado..

The Arizona tiles I have flown around are pretty good actually. As said above some tiles are rubbish (like some parts of Florida such as Miami).

I agree. I have MegaScenery Phoenix and filled in the space between what it covers down to Tucson with the MegaScenery Earth tiles and they look pretty good, not quite on par with the Phoenix title, but I like it better than GEX. Unfortunately MSE is pretty hit or mis. The Arizona and New York stuff is pretty good, while the Florida and Chicago tiles are not as nice. The south Florida tiles have clouds on the ground and bad coloring, while the Chicago tiles have no clouds but the colors are really bland.

Hopefully when "Woodson" the Simsaavy fellow, gets to work on the MSE stuff, we will be able to get some updates to those older tiles that look so bad.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well I was going to buy the complete Arizona pack but the PC Aviator store has been down for a few hours now...argh.

Why not just buy the Sim Savvy scenery? You will get the entire Continental US at 50cm resolution.

I have all the MegaScenery products and I Arizona is one of my favorites. Couple of tips;

Only buy when they are 50% off. If only two regions are on sale right, don't but the 3rd. It will come around on sale again.

If you are planning to use it with FlightBeam KPHX place the MegaScenery a higher priority than FlightBeam. Why? KPHX appears to have a large airport footprint that wipes out a lot of the autogen next to the airport. By placing MegaScenery higher you'll retain those buildings and you won't lose anything in KPHX as far as I can tell.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yeah all there stores were down for around 8 hours last night starting around 10pm CST. Annoying when you are trying to throw money at people and they won't let you.

Why not just buy the Sim Savvy scenery? You will get the entire Continental US at 50cm resolution.

Done my research. Its not for me. Too many things that would annoy me, not to mention that the seasons do change and I wouldn't want to be flying around Wisconsin in winter while its snowing only to see green grass and trees from above.

MegaScenery Arizona is super! I have the entire Arizona, Las Vegas, and Calirfornia. In my opinion these are their best sceneries. WA is lite and un-real, along with New Mexico, and Florida--stay away from those. But Arizona , heck Ya! Really, really Nice..You can touch the hills and mountians, the sand and the forests.