Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Perhaps we ain't seen nothing yet...

Nope, already taken from purely hypothetical to early working prototypes.

http://www.theglobea...article4516380/

Quote:

Scientists have built a new quantum chip that will enable the creation of completely secure mobile phones and ultra-fast computers with capabilities far beyond today’s devices. The international research team behind the breakthrough, who are based at the University of Bristol, will detail the development at the British Science Festival in Aberdeen this week.

In the short term, the team are applying the technology to safe communications for mobile phones and computers, which would make online banking and internet shopping more secure. Phones could be protected against hacking attempts.

Quantum technology has long been a scientific dream. The quantum chip, made from silicon, works on light and is thousands of times smaller than the glass chips used previously. It will enable mass production of quantum technologies, leading first to secure mobile phones and eventually to ultra-fast quantum computers.

Fabricating quantum circuits in silicon has the huge advantage of compatibility with modern electronics. According to Jeremy O’Brien, physics professor at Bristol, quantum processors could be integrated with conventional microelectronic circuits within three to five years.

The research – carried out in collaboration with high-tech companies Toshiba of Japan, Nokia of Finland and Oclaro of the UK, and with Heriot-Watt University in Scotland and Delft University in the Netherlands – is an essential step towards miniaturising optical quantum computers.

Antti Niskanen, research leader at Nokia Research Centre in Cambridge, said: “Understanding quantum photonics opens exciting prospects for further research into security, sensors and information processing. Security of personal data, the ability for a device to sense the world around it and the ability to quickly interpret this information all offer future benefits for mobile device users,” Mr Niskanen added.

The new chip is made from silicon, like the microprocessors in all computers and smart phones. Unlike conventional silicon chips that work by controlling electrical current, the quantum chips manipulate particles of light, called photons, to perform calculations. A quantum computing device with 100 photons could in principle solve trillions of equations at the same time.

Because the technology uses the same silicon manufacturing techniques as conventional chips, a manufacturer can easily produce millions of quantum chips.

The new circuits are compatible with existing optical glass fibre infrastructure used in broadband communications, because they operate at the same wavelengths. “The global communications network, including the internet, is powered by fibre optics which use light to move information at high speed between countries, cities and buildings,” said Mark Thompson, deputy director of Bristol’s Centre for Quantum Photonics. “Our devices are directly compatible – in a sense they talk the same language.”

A quantum computer can solve complex problems that ordinarily take too long even for supercomputers. Tasks include financial risk analysis, object recognition in images, database searches and the design of new materials, drugs and clean tech devices.

Unquote

The Globe and Mail

Sept. 3. 2012

Sadly, quantum computing can't accelerate traditional non-database driven, human interactive algorithms like games, FSX included.

Sadly, quantum computing can't accelerate traditional non-database driven, human interactive algorithms like games, FSX included.

Really? :t0117: Well that sucks doesn't it?

Then why in the WORLD are they wasting their time on these things?! lol

The international research team behind the breakthrough, who are based at the University of Bristol, will detail the development at the British Science Festival in Aberdeen this week.

Oh, I think I won't be unpacking boxes in my new house the next few days than... How have I missed that the British Science Festival is on in Aberdeen?!? (Probably because work has been keeping me somwhere else but never mind). I couldn't find that particular event in the program (wierd) but a lot of other interesting stuff to go and see. I guess FSX will have to rest a little bit longer

Will FSX still be relevant by the time a processor comes out which can run it silky smooth with 100% pegged sliders (and all the sneaky fsx.cnfg settings maxed)? Perhaps by then P3D v2 or a resuscitated Flight will be the platform of choice, or then again maybe not....

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

By the time we will be able to run FSX on max settings with all eye candy and other stuff enabled on a steady 60 FPS it will be another 10 years from now and FSX will probably already be buried. CPUs will maybe run at 10 GHz and be a lot smaller too, wouldn't that be awesome?! Remember the first Apple PC in the 70's, it had a 1 MHz (yes MHz) CPU, and now we are running CPUs that are more than 5000 times faster. CPU development is going lightning fast...

CPUs will maybe run at 10 GHz and be a lot smaller too, wouldn't that be awesome?!

Ehh... We have just about hit the limit for CPU clock speed. Multicore is what Intel thinks is the future. - Unfortunately, this puts a HUGE burden on software developers.

CPU development is going lightning fast...

GPUs are developing even faster....

Even phones have a 1GHz processor, which is kinda like a bad netbook's speed.

1GHZ = Doesn't always equal fast.

In your post you are insinuating that just because the processor is 1GHZ then it must be fast. It all boils down to IPC and achritecture efficiency.

For example,

(Hypothetically) Ivy Bridge @ 4.5GHZ = Sandy Bridge @ 4.7GHZ

1GHZ = Doesn't always equal fast.

In your post you are insinuating that just because the processor is 1GHZ then it must be fast. It all boils down to IPC and achritecture efficiency.

For example,

(Hypothetically) Ivy Bridge @ 4.5GHZ = Sandy Bridge @ 4.7GHZ

I never said it was fast. I just said that, for a phone, it's a lot, I guess.

Edited by linux731