Sign in to follow this  
StubbinMyToe

FSX and REX Essentials - "REXWX" window is black

Hi All,

First I apologize but I did check the REX forums, they are giving me a "Website is currently unavailable" error all day, and there is no support email I can find there.

Anyway, I am running FSX Deluxe with SP2 on Windows 7 64bit, and today I decided to purchase REX eXtreme Essentails. I installed it in its default location with default options, configured it to my FSX path and typed in a name for my profile, and created the initial backup. Leaving everything else default, I click Fly Now! It fires up my copy of FSX and it opens up a window titled "REX WX" that has a radar image and a Load Weather Button". I left that window alone and in FSX selected the Cessna (or whatever) and jumped into it sitting on the runway at KMCO.

Once in FSX, the "REX WX" window turns black and displays nothing. All it has is the frame with the green buttons on the border, and the on/off in the top right, the clientr area is just black and the Load Weather button is gone. No matter what I do, this window never displays anything! I have seen other posts with this exact same issue, and there was no posted solution.

Notes:

* I am running it as administrator

* I have UAC disabled

* I am not running a firewall

* I do not have any virus or spyware scanners installed

* I did register REX and that worked fine

* I do not have ANY addons installed except the PMDG 737 NGX

* FSX runs fine even when REX is running, but the window is black and I cant even tell if its working

What I have tried:

* By default it installs in C:\Program Files(x86)\ . I unstalled it and placed it into the place I have all my other apps installed (C:\FSIM\ or C:\GAMES), this did NOT work

* Tried right clicking on the "REX WX" Window and selecting various options such as Load Weather, nothing happens.

At this point I do not think it is communicating at all with FSX.

Anyone have any ideas or should I just get a refund?

thanks!

Hi All,

First I apologize but I did check the REX forums, they are giving me a "Website is currently unavailable" error all day, and there is no support email I can find there.

What do you mean "They given you a website currently unavailable"? If you registered and got verified, you should be able to post in the REX Essential support topic forum. The REX team are very helpful.

I mean exactly what I said, I get that error whenever I try to use (register or post) the forums.

So I am here looking for a solution because I am sure others use REX.

look like the registration engine is down, try later, think they are the best ppl to help you out with your problem. Good luck. :)

Just to update you that I am able to create a new account in their forum, after that you need to go to your email to activate. Then go into general discussion to verify your product.

Regards.

Anthony

Yeah probably. Don't get me wrong, I trust them, else I would not have purchased it :) I finally got in over there and was able to post, but I am not validated so I cannot get to the support forums yet.

I am itching to use the Weather Engine in this baby! LOL

Anyone have any ideas or should I just get a refund?

In the meantime you can try to look for clues in the Error Log folder in your REX installation.

As a registered REX 2 and REX Essentials paying customer I humbly submit you plan ahead to fix lunch and take the dog for a walk while REX downloads weather, converts textures, fiddles around and does other cool stuff..it takes forever.And you can't fly till it's all done!! Most find the several minutes long wait unbearable and ridiculous. Supposedly this is 'all fixed' in the new release which is still not here. The latest "News" on the REX site is nearly 3 months old...judge for yourself but be forewarned you'll likely fall asleep waiting for this product to interface with FSX. I regret I spent the moola on it. OTOH and to be 'fair' the textures are really nice and I just install them and then never launch REX again (takes too long) as I prefer the internal FSX weather engine..loads up in 10 seconds. It is a pet peeve that so many FSX so-called developers can't cut the mustard but still promise the world..for $$$ up front of course. Coming SOON (REX E w/Overdrive HD pack) has been on the REX site forever. It only took them over 6 months from last summer to get REX Essentials out the door..it is slow as molasses in December too..but they 'promise' it's all gonna be OK one day. It disgusts me. Either excrete manure or vacate the commode REX!

When I first start REX it downloads the weather and interpolates it, during that time I don't do anything (it tells you on the bottom not to do anything). Once its complete, I click Fly Now. It fires up FSX, minimizes itself and shows the green radar window. In FSX I choose the Cessna, KMCO, then click FLY. Once I am sitting on the runway (or gate, wherever I choose when FSX starts), the radar window is black forever. I even left it there for an hour :) In any case, the weather data was fully loaded, takes about 3 mins or so.

Venustats: I did that and posted the info on their website. Like I said I don't think its connecting the weather engine to FSX at all. I noticed 2 things:

in the log file:

ERROR TRAPING FOR REX ESSENTIAL

Class Location: frmWxEngine.loadRadar

Error: Input string was not in a correct format.

In simConnect.cfg:

Address=192.168.1.102

That is not my local IP, my local IP is static and is xxx.xxx.x.110 set at my router, always been that way. So I do not know how he gets .102 :) In any case I tried changing it to .110 and still have the same issue, so I set it back to the 102 address.

DEP and UAC are both disabled, no luck here

I see that I am not the only person with this issue, it looks like its busted on Windows 8 too. Hopefully they will "validate" me tomorrow so I can post in their support forums cause I am at a loss, can only wait now :)