Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Objectflow FTX modules causes crash to desktop when alt tabbing?

I have reason to believe that the modules related to objectflow from FTX are causing FSX to crash to the desktop if you alt tab or alt enter and switch to desktop.. If i remove these entries, I dont experience the crash.

The event viewer on my windows 8 x64 box show errors related to d3dl.dll however (fsx crash dumps).

I've tried running FSX both as "administrator" and in normal mode to no avail..

Has anyone else ran into this and knows what could be causing it to crash related to the ftx modules?

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

The event viewer on my windows 8 x64 box show errors related to d3dl.dll however (fsx crash dumps).

The d3d9.dll in the FSX main folder is related to the ENB Series. If you have this addon installed, it's causing your crashes. It's a common crash and I removed it from my FSX a long time ago. Many have gotten it to work and have nothing but total praise for the addon. To get rid of the crashes, delete the d3d9.dll from the main FSX folder. Also delete enb.ini or you'll get even more crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The d3d9.dll in the FSX main folder is related to the ENB Series. If you have this addon installed, it's causing your crashes. It's a common crash and I removed it from my FSX a long time ago. Many have gotten it to work and have nothing but total praise for the addon. To get rid of the crashes, delete the d3d9.dll from the main FSX folder. Also delete enb.ini or you'll get even more crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for that.. however, it didnt turn out to be this (so far).. I dont have that series.. i didnt have d3d9.dll in the main fsx folder.. the event log showed it in system32.. so i copied it to the fsx folder instead.. renabled the objectflow entries and thus far i can alt tab multiple times without fail (so far)..

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Good to hear you might have fixed the problem. Never heard of this type of 'repair'. The d3d9.dll is related to DirectX. You might want to run a dxdiag with your Run command and check to make sure there are no problems.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Good to hear you might have fixed the problem. Never heard of this type of 'repair'. The d3d9.dll is related to DirectX. You might want to run a dxdiag with your Run command and check to make sure there are no problems.

Best regards,

Jim

Actually my issue transformed itself..

While the original situation is fixed.. It seems that now if i directly load a saved flight off the harddrive then alt tab in and out it crashes with ntdll.dll error.. if i open that same file after first opening fsx no issues..

Trying to figure out why this may be currently.

Most likely this is a memory issue. The ntdl.dll is related to that. Alt/tab takes up a lot of resources for any game, not just FSX. Instead of alt/tabbing, I would alt/enter to go from windowed mode to full screen and vice-versa. Remember FSX can only 'see' 4 GB's at the most. Any other memory you have installed is used for the system functions.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Most likely this is a memory issue. The ntdl.dll is related to that. Alt/tab takes up a lot of resources for any game, not just FSX. Instead of alt/tabbing, I would alt/enter to go from windowed mode to full screen and vice-versa. Remember FSX can only 'see' 4 GB's at the most. Any other memory you have installed is used for the system functions.

Best regards,

Jim

It does the same if you use alt-enter or alt-tab..

I'd think similar, except for the fact i can load the same saved flight after first launching fsx directly, then loading the same flight.. no issues alt tabbing or entering. Only when i launch from the file explorer, the flight, do i run into this issue.

I think i solved my issue.. ok well not solved, but figured out what the cause was.

It turned out that the fsuipc entry in the dll.xml file was causing ctd when alt tab/alt enter, after having launched a saved flight directly from the hdd. I removed the addon entry and i can alt tab multiple times on multiple loads no issues. I'm running v4.8x of FSUIPC as of this moment.

Flight One has a nice utility that checks your dll.xml and repairs it http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library. You can also reorder the items within the dll.xml. Hard to believe the FSUIPC.dll entry caused the problem but at least it's fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Flight One has a nice utility that checks your dll.xml and repairs it http://www.flight1.c...sp?page=library. You can also reorder the items within the dll.xml. Hard to believe the FSUIPC.dll entry caused the problem but at least it's fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for that tool tip.. i tried the tool.. for some reason it only showed about 4 sections when there were quite a bit more. Havent dived in deep enough to figure out why just yet.

You have to click on Extract Sections and select no to open the current dll.xml. If you say yes, it will just open the default dll.xml.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I started having issues again.. so this time i wiped the machine and went clean install.. all to a separate partition/drive..

Unfortunately i'm back in the same boat..

So far installed:

UTX, GEX, Orbx Au areas and FTX PNW.. Anytime i do an alt enter it will immediately crash.. with ntdll.dll.. if i dont put d3d9.dll in the fsx directory it will crash with the d3d9.dll error.

I've tried disabling utx and taking out portions of the dll.xml (and tried the tool).. to me, once again, it seems that some part of the dll.xml is causing the crash, possibly the dll's related to au and objectflow (just a guess so far).

I've tried removing fsx.cfg and rebuilding it (same result).

I also reran the directx setup just to be safe, with no success on a fix.

Looking at the debug info, it seems to be related to an access violation.

**I can confirm that if i take out all objectflow entries from the dll.xml file, then it never seems to crash on an alt enter, thus far anyway

to add to this, the d3d9.dll i'm running (via system32) is fairly new:

Version 6.2.9200.16384 dated 7/25/2012 (and the directx 10 dll's are present in the system32 directory, though as of now i'm not using dx10 with fsx, but i am with other games)

Do you have the ENB Series mod installed? It places the d3d9.dll into the main fsx folder. For many people, this will create a crash 100% of the time with ntdl.dll as the faulting module. There is a d3d9.dll that comes with Windows and that should be left in the Windows/system32 folder. If you installed the ENB series, you will have to remove the d3d9.dll in the main fsx folder PLUS the enb.ini. If you just remove the d3d9.dll and leave the enb.ini in the folder, you will get a crash. It is highly unlikely any FTX texture, scenery, object caused your crash as this would be reported by everyone. I have almost every FTX scenery and no problems. If you have the enb series module, you'll need to search fsx to see if anyone can give you a link to the one that works. I removed it soon after getting it due to all the crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Do you have the ENB Series mod installed? It places the d3d9.dll into the main fsx folder. For many people, this will create a crash 100% of the time with ntdl.dll as the faulting module. There is a d3d9.dll that comes with Windows and that should be left in the Windows/system32 folder. If you installed the ENB series, you will have to remove the d3d9.dll in the main fsx folder PLUS the enb.ini. If you just remove the d3d9.dll and leave the enb.ini in the folder, you will get a crash. It is highly unlikely any FTX texture, scenery, object caused your crash as this would be reported by everyone. I have almost every FTX scenery and no problems. If you have the enb series module, you'll need to search fsx to see if anyone can give you a link to the one that works. I removed it soon after getting it due to all the crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Unfortunately i dont have that mod (though i had found others with that issue with enb in my searches for poss. solutions).. at this point i dont have d3d9.dll in the fsx directory.. so it will crash on d3d9.dll.. if d3d9.dll is put in there, then yeah i end up with ntdll.dll crashes as the source.