Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Objectflow FTX modules causes crash to desktop when alt tabbing?

so it will crash on d3d9.dll.. if d3d9.dll is put in there

There should be no d3d9.dll in your fsx folder and I apologize as we went over this earlier in this discussion. Been busy. Forgot what we had done.

**I can confirm that if i take out all objectflow entries from the dll.xml file, then it never seems to crash on an alt enter, thus far anyway

Have you tried uninstalling the objectflow related sceneries then reinstalling? Your dll.xml could be corrupted. If you go into FTX Central and disable FTX sceneries and go to the default, does the crash still occur?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

There should be no d3d9.dll in your fsx folder and I apologize as we went over this earlier in this discussion. Been busy. Forgot what we had done.

Have you tried uninstalling the objectflow related sceneries then reinstalling? Your dll.xml could be corrupted. If you go into FTX Central and disable FTX sceneries and go to the default, does the crash still occur?

Best regards,

Jim

Yeah, I dont have the d3d9.dll in there, let me rephrase, because before the way i worded it sounded confusing i think:

if d3d9.dll is in fsx i get crashes related to ntdll.dll.. if d3d9.dll is removed and only in sys32, then the crash is related to d3d9.dll.

So far, all i've done is remove the entries from dll.xml for objectflow (all is fine then).. I ran the dll.xml tool check, it said it appeared fine on the check button anyway.

As far as "uninstalling orbx sceneries", there doesnt appear to be an easy way to uninstall.. no entries in add/remove.. but what i have done is gone into ftx central and set it to default mode, this mode crashes as well.

I could try deleting the existing dll.xml and create another one pasting in one objectflow entry to see what that does.

No change on deleting the xml and recreating, unfortunately.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Here are my dll.xml entries. They should be the same as yours as FTX will not allow any of their sceneries to be moved to another HDD.

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>ObjectFlow_W16.dll</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_W16\scenery\ObjectFlow_W16.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>ObjectFlow_KJAC.dll</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KJAC\Scenery\ObjectFlow_KJAC.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

If FSX is still crashing even with ftx disabled and the default enabled, then it cannot be a FTX problem. There's something else. Look in your main fsx folder and look for a .ini (initiator) type file. It sounds like something is calling for the d3d9.dll and it cannot find it. The only way I know of that could cause this to happen is if you still have the enb.ini in the fsx folder.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here are my dll.xml entries. They should be the same as yours as FTX will not allow any of their sceneries to be moved to another HDD.

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>ObjectFlow_W16.dll</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_W16\scenery\ObjectFlow_W16.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>ObjectFlow_KJAC.dll</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KJAC\Scenery\ObjectFlow_KJAC.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

If FSX is still crashing even with ftx disabled and the default enabled, then it cannot be a FTX problem. There's something else. Look in your main fsx folder and look for a .ini (initiator) type file. It sounds like something is calling for the d3d9.dll and it cannot find it. The only way I know of that could cause this to happen is if you still have the enb.ini in the fsx folder.

Best regards,

Jim

Ftx cant go on another drive or just may not work right?

I installed fsx to my O partion.. so everything is O:\program files (x86) etc..

So by default when i installed ftx it went to O.. my entries in my dll.xml point to O:\path

I dont have enb so i doubt its enb ini related, though ill poke around in the folder to look for others.

I just assumed since i can remove the ftx entries and everything is fine, that it must be ftx related.

I installed fsx to my O partion.. so everything is O:\program files (x86) etc..

So by default when i installed ftx it went to O.. my entries in my dll.xml point to O:\path

I dont have enb so i doubt its enb ini related, though ill poke around in the folder to look for others.

I just assumed since i can remove the ftx entries and everything is fine, that it must be ftx related.

Only 1 ini in the fsx directory.. a 2007 mpc file.. the only other change to the fsx folder i did, was moving the uiautomationcore.dll file into here.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

No it just has to be installed on the same drive as FSX so you are okay. Have you tried checking for corrupt system files by running sfc /scannow? Perhaps that d3d9.dll is corrupt. Are there any other dll.xml files in the folder (that were renamed?). Some of the programs I install back up my dll.xml before they modify the original. You might try renaming the current one to dll.xml.orig then rename one of the backups to dll.xml and see if that fixes things.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

No it just has to be installed on the same drive as FSX so you are okay. Have you tried checking for corrupt system files by running sfc /scannow? Perhaps that d3d9.dll is corrupt. Are there any other dll.xml files in the folder (that were renamed?). Some of the programs I install back up my dll.xml before they modify the original. You might try renaming the current one to dll.xml.orig then rename one of the backups to dll.xml and see if that fixes things.

Best regards,

i havent tried sfc but i may.. i tried the original dll.xml and also deleting it and letting orbx recreate it, no luck either.

I may end up sticking in another harddrive for the OS and start clean just for a test, one thing at a time, till i find something that breaks it.

Jim

i tried the original dll.xml and also deleting it and letting orbx recreate it, no luck either.

You cannot delete the dll.xml and let it rebuild. It won't do that. Only the FSX.cfg will rebuild if you delete it.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

You cannot delete the dll.xml and let it rebuild. It won't do that. Only the FSX.cfg will rebuild if you delete it.

Best regards,

Jim

Strange, at least in my case it did recreate it.

I just renamed my dll.xml. Ran FSX and fsx ran great but no new dll.xml was rebuilt. It's impossible as the entries are installed with each addon installation program and FSX has no way of knowing what you installed when you start it up. Think this must be your problem. On a personal note, deleting the dll.xml got rid of the StackHash error I have been getting everytime I shut down FSX. The problem must be somewhere in the dll.xml.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I just renamed my dll.xml. Ran FSX and fsx ran great but no new dll.xml was rebuilt. It's impossible as the entries are installed with each addon installation program and FSX has no way of knowing what you installed when you start it up. Think this must be your problem. On a personal note, deleting the dll.xml got rid of the StackHash error I have been getting everytime I shut down FSX. The problem must be somewhere in the dll.xml.

Best regards,

Jim

Ahh... but by rebuild, i actually meant when i ran an airport setup from orbx.. it recreated the base dll.xml file.. not fsx itself.

Okay, yes, that's the only way. You have to reinstall all the items in the dll.xml. Just remember you need the mandatory top lines that Microsoft put in there when they first built your dll.xml. You can get those from the dll.xml repair program (I believe) or on the PMDG support site they have a posting for corrupted dll.xml's. Make sure FSUIPC.dll is listed in the dll.xml too (you'll have to reinstall) as it is loaded even if you don't have it in your dll.xml. It will no longer be shown in the fsx menu ADDONS.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

well i made some headway..

new drive new install..

all was going well..

until...

I installed 12.8 ati drivers for my ati 5850, then boom.. alt enter crashes

So i may try to go back to the "windows 8 preview version" if i can find it.. otherwise i'm not sure what ill do.. as i need the ati driver to enable eyefinity mode.. what a bummer.

Since all my old win 7 images are gone, i cant confirm or deny that versions 12.7 or previous did the same thing on win 7 at least (compared to 8)

well i made some headway..

new drive new install..

all was going well..

until...

I installed 12.8 ati drivers for my ati 5850, then boom.. alt enter crashes

So i may try to go back to the "windows 8 preview version" if i can find it.. otherwise i'm not sure what ill do.. as i need the ati driver to enable eyefinity mode.. what a bummer.

Since all my old win 7 images are gone, i cant confirm or deny that versions 12.7 or previous did the same thing on win 7 at least (compared to 8)

I did try directx 10 mode and it appears i can alt enter without issue there, i just need to go through the steps of optimizing directx 10..

(i did try removing all ati drivers and going back to 10.6 on win 8 with the same results unfortunately).

You must be having an issue with your display drivers if the sim is crashing when you change drivers. You should do a clean install of your drivers. When you uninstall them through the add/remove programs, the drivers are not completely removed all the time and old entries are left in the system registry. I use the IObit Uninstaller - http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html to uninstall things. It does a better job. It's freeware. Once it uninstalls everything, it also looks for things left over and lists things it finds and asks you if you want to delete those items too (yes). Once uninstalled, reinstall the new drivers.

PaulJ in the DX10 forum has some excellent documents to optimize DX10. He's also there to provide valuable assistance if you do have issues. I can help too but I have been very busy lately.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

You must be having an issue with your display drivers if the sim is crashing when you change drivers. You should do a clean install of your drivers. When you uninstall them through the add/remove programs, the drivers are not completely removed all the time and old entries are left in the system registry. I use the IObit Uninstaller - http://www.iobit.com...ninstaller.html to uninstall things. It does a better job. It's freeware. Once it uninstalls everything, it also looks for things left over and lists things it finds and asks you if you want to delete those items too (yes). Once uninstalled, reinstall the new drivers.

PaulJ in the DX10 forum has some excellent documents to optimize DX10. He's also there to provide valuable assistance if you do have issues. I can help too but I have been very busy lately.

Best regards,

Jim

It wasnt crashing due to changing drivers.. it crashes because the driver from ati (on windows 8 at the very least) is installed.. 12.6 or 12.8..

I did a clean install.. ran fsx without installing ati drivers, so it was using the windows wdm driver only (but no eyefinity wide mode ability).. alt enter, alt tab.. no issues (with orbx installed)..

Install ati 12.8.. alt enter, crash, boom.

I then used driversweeper to clean the drivers off after uninstalling the ati.. installed 12.6 legacy.. same deal..

Granted maybe the driversweeper didnt do a good job.. or maybe 12.6 is buggy too (on win 8)..

Ill have to try the app you referenced and/or use my system restore states i saved to try again.. but pretty sure either way, only the engineering sample wdm driver works without crashing fsx on alt ent in windows 8.

I may also try a win 7 partition just for a sanity check that its not OS related.. either way i know the root of the cause, so for now i have my old drive back in and continuing reinstalling fsx components for now.

I appreciate the help along the way.. at least there is some light now.. maybe someone else who has win 8 and this video card will run into this and have a fix too. either that or its time to say bye to ati and go to an nvidia card :D