Sign in to follow this  
RudiJG1

Noob user with the MD-11

I've just purchased MCE and am getting up to speed on its use...so far, I'm enjoying it. But I've got a couple of issues that I suspect are due to user error.

I did a test flight (KMEM-KGSO) last night with the PMDG MD-11F and MCE, and I used the flow/script provided by MCE. The only change I had to make was pointing the program to the MD-11F checklist as opposed to the MD-11 one.

The first command in the script was for FO to put the parking brake on...no problems there. But when I next go to Cockpit Preparation, which the FO begins by turning on the battery, he skips that step, and the Prep stalls. I can hear him throwing switches, but no battery or APU kicks on. I then have to do those steps myself.

A related question - in the same flow, I'm instructed to "tell MCE" which runway and what takeoff speeds are to be used; how do I do that?

I'm probably overlooking a setup step, but this noob neeeds some guidance, which would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hello Wayne, welcome to the forums and the group who enjoy the MD-11!

I wrote those scripts many months ago and the FS++ team put them with the package to showcase what you can do.

I have since updated those scripts about 4 or 5 times....you will find them in the avsim library. If you fly the NGX, I strongly suggest Dan's scripts and flows, you will also find them in the Avsim library, they are great, all the way to engine fire and apu fire procedures.

As for the MD-11, if you like, PM me your email address and I can send you what I now use.

I removed the command "Battery On" which is why it is not working for you...you need to do that manually, then call for Cockpit Preparation Procedure and away you go.

The MD-11 has some differences in the cockpit...it has NAV, PROF and AUTOFLIGHT buttons....with MCe, you can control these with the commands LNAV, VNAV and AUTOPILOT respectively, but if you wish to command them by their proper name, the process is simple, it takes a couple of minutes....

Start up FSX, go to ADDONS/PMDG/KEYBOARD COMMANDS...click on FCP, find NAV and click SET...then enter PMDG's default key combination which is TAB+N, then go to PROFILE and enter TAB+P and finally AUTOFLIGHT SHIFT+TAB+T or you can create your own combination, that is why PMDG set up this tool.

Next, with MCE turned off, go into VOXKEY, select FSX profile, click VIEW, click NEW, type NAV, then hti NEXT, then enter the key combination for it...do the same for the other two...fire up MCE adn you will find that when you say "NAV" you will see the NAV key being pressed, same for the other two...you can create your own combinations if you like.

Cheers,

Will

ah and forgot your last question...how to tell your First Officer the runways and take off speeds....just do it as if you were talking to a friend sitting next to you...MCE does not follow a single line of phrases....it will understand many variations...

Try these ones:

"Departure Runway is 07Left"

"Takeoff V1 is 135".....he will ask you to confirm, if the value he read is correct, just say Yes or Affirmative

"Takeoff VR is XXX"

"Takeoff V2 is XXX"

to tell him the destination airport, try:

"We're going to KJFK" reading the letters via the phonetic alphabet...ie Kilo Juliet Foxtro Kilo

"Once you are on your way, and have set up for arrival, share the info with your F/O

"Landing Runway is 07Centre"

As simple as that! In the NGX you dont need to tell the F/O the speeds as he can read them off the FMC thanks to the SDK integration, but there is no SDK for other aircraft.

Cheers

Sometimes the FO asks "What's the active runway?" even as we're taxiing into position for take off. I sorta wish MCE was able to understand "Hey look down.. see that big grey concretey thing stretching away in front of us? That-a-one!" :lol:

I sorta wish MCE was able to understand "Hey look down.. see that big grey concretey thing stretching away in front of us? That-a-one!" :lol:

I'm sure they are already working on it. B)

Hello Friends.

Do MCE work with the PMDG MD11 for FS9? Until this time i´m not able to make it work with the MD11. Everything else in MCE works great

Regards

Mauro Modesto

Yup, it works really well with the MD11, what issues are you having?

Hi Will.

I´n not able to use the first officer flows in the MD11. I´ve set the coorect check list and i can command the cockpit preparation procedure but nothing happens. Must i do something to make it work with fs9?

Regards

Mauro MOdesto

Hello Friends.

Do MCE work with the PMDG MD11 for FS9? Until this time i´m not able to make it work with the MD11. Everything else in MCE works great

Regards

Mauro Modesto

Hello Mauro.

Please check the following...

Windows 7 or Vista UAC is disabled.

FSX running as administrator.

MD-11 patched to the latest service pack.

Hi.

It's the fs9 version fully patched... The fs9 and mce are installed outside the program files folder, UAC is disabled and i start both fs9 and MCE. As administrator.

Regards

Mauro Modesto

Mauro,

What happens when you command "emergency lights arm" or "landing lights on" can the first officer obey those command and move the switches?

Hi Will.

Nothing happens. if i command by voice to show the overhead panel, appears the complete autopilot module instead. I´ve tried to completely uninstall, even in safe mode to prevent windows protection from messing with mce, outside the program files and still no luck. I open FS9 an MCE as admin by the way!

Thanks for the help

Mauro Modesto

Hello Mauro, try reinstalling with UAC turned off and anti virus off.

Once you install, before you run the program itself, run the app wizard.

Load the aircraft, then start MCE. Go to checklists and select md11 and wait for it to scan the aircraft.

It should work from there, unless you selected the wron type of md11 before? This is certainly strange.

Hi Will.

First of all, thank you very much for your help! :)

I have my UAC turned off since i installed windows 7. I installed everything outside the program files folder, as administrator, UAC off and in safe mode.i have a specific folder for FS9 and Multi crew in the C:\ I have the IFLY 737 and as you all know, it´s very sensitive to the UAC and Anti virus program, and because of that i chose to install everything in safe mode. On my FS9 computer i dont have any Anti virus installed and i disabled the windows firewall and i dont have also Microsoft Security essencials. I dont use internet on my FS9 computer and i run all the programs that need, like ASEon my laptop networked with my main machine.

I Think that the checklist that i use with the MD11 is the correct one (it´s MD11 only right?).

What is strange for me is that if i give a voice command to show FMC it opens the Autopilot module. Does MCE interact with MD11 by the PMDG kdb.ini, or it has a specific dll?

If i command to change the altitude and heading it doesn´t change nothing and if i try to, for example to turn on the EMER EXT LIGHTS My FO tells me that the switch is already on but is off in reality.

Regards

Mauro Modesto