Sign in to follow this  
enrico68

Pondering whether to buy it

Hello world!!

I have passed the IVAO Private Pilot exam, and I have flown with the default Cessna 172 until pretty much today. My next step is the Senior Private Pilot exam, where you have to fly IFR, NDBs, VOR radials, SIDS, STARS; I could use the default Baron 58, which is probably a good thing to start with, mainly because the IAS is still relatively low, but I am thinking of flying something more fun, enjoyable, and here come my questions:

Real Air Turbine Duke or Carenado C90B King Air, or maybe both. I have read pretty much all the 13 something pages of this thread, I see Carenado released two SP since first release, there is the RealityXP integration.

What do you people suggest? If you had to choose one, which one would you go for?

Is it hard to install the Reality XP GPS in either aircraft?

Would they be a little too fast, in order to hand fly a SID or a STAR, since of course there is no FMC, and I don't think you can follow them with a GPS and the autopilot, unless you can insert the waypoints but you would still have to take care of the vertical navigation..

I am interested in your personal opinions, tell me the good things and the bad things of both airplaines, so I can make my mind up...looking forward, and thanks in advance,

Enrico :smile:

Since I only have the Duke of these two, I can only comment on that one. I love everything about the aircraft and you don't need to read many threads until you realize that's the general opinion. It has the Real Air stamp on it - 'nuf said!

The Duke is a quick bird but of course you can handfly a SID or STAR with it - you don't have to have the throttle buried in the firewall all the time! :D And the Garmin 530 corresponds to the navigational part of the FMC, ie you can can enter waypoints, load SIDs and STARs and then either have the autopilot follow the magenta line or you handfly it accordingly.

If you have the Reality XP and the Duke installed, all you have to do is enter the configuration panel and put a mark where it asks if you have the Garmin installed. Couldn't be easier and the integration is absolutely flawless.

For me it's easy on the fps and the only crashes I've had is when I have blown an engine and made a botched landing. Can't blame Real Air for that! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Dear Krister, thanks a lot for your input. Two more questions then:

is either Reality XP GPS ( 430 or 530) capable of flying SID/STAR procedures, or just the 530?

does the product come with any kind of tutorial?

Again, thanks for your input, I really appreciate it,

Enrico

The Turbine Duke is a great aircraft, but it is quite a handful.. It does have a nice modern cockpit

with all the instruments right in front of you - good for IFR training. Do install the RXP GNS530!

For a top quality airplane, the Turbine Duke, or it's earlier sister, the piston Duke are hard to beat.

The King Air is less suited for training since the radios are off to the right

and the autopilot is on the floor where you can hardly see it.. and you can only fit

a GNS430 with it's smaller screen. Also, the quality level does not match RealAir's.

Another aircraft to consider is the Carenado C337 with an RXP GNS530.

It is less of a step up from the C172, than either of the above, but it offers full IFR capabilities and is

a retractable gear twin.. The downside is that the autopilot does not have an altitude

preselector, so there is a bit of manual effort involved in climbs and descents.

Lastly, if you would like a sporty two-seater, look at the RealAir Lancair. It has all the quality

of the Duke, in a smaller package. It is the latest aircraft from RealAir, and their best IMHO.

As a personal aircraft, it would be my preference.. It feels like driving a sports car, rather than a minibus..

The bubble canopy gives you great visibility and it has all the IFR instrumentation you need.

Again, add the GNS530!

Bert

Hi Bert, and thank you, I'll go for the Turbine Duke, with the RXP GNS530, no doubt about it. For the Lancair, you know, I never thought about it that way, as a matter of fact it's like driving a sports car, and like you said, the canopy let's you enjoy the scenery around....hmm, let me go and have a look at it, of course with the RXP GNS530 !!! Many many thanks to all who answered my questions, I knew I would get the info I was looking for, awesome forum, thanks everyone... B)

Enrico

Enrico,

Of course it depends on what you are looking for in the airplane, but the Realair Lancair is really an amazing add-on and the one I'd buy first again if for some reason I would lose all my add-ons.

It fun, fast and really feels alive. I love and have everything from Realair but this one is their best so far!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

In case you are still looking - I would actually choose the piston Duke over the Turbine Duke, if IFR training is the goal.

The instrument layout in the piston version has the navigational instruments closer at hand... In the Turbine version, a lot of panel space is taken up by engine gauges (however pretty they may be..)

Bert

The Legacy is a tuff one to control compared to the others mentioned... very light on the stick, and rolls over with no hesitation. Energy management is key, because she wants to be at warp 9 all the time once in the air. Piston duke has very tame manners, and would be the best IFR trainer like Bert said. The T duke has good manners too, but another one that wants to go warp 9, and added fickleness of turbines.

I'd also suggest the Carenado B58.

With a Dual screen set up, the KingAir would be OK, but it would keep you busy with buttons configing for landing.. the Legacy controlling speed... and the t duke controlling the turbines.

Piston duke has very tame manners, and would be the best IFR trainer like Bert said.

Actually for IFR training, I would echo another of Bert's suggestions for the Carenado 337. Almost the perfect step-up twin and very nicely set up for IFR training with everything visible and accessible (not always the case with VC's), though note Bert's comment on the AP. Excellent RXP 530 integration. Maybe I'm too grounded in the real world, but much as I love my RealAir Dukes and Lancair, I think the 337 is the far better twin/IFR trainer and platform for next-step learning.

Scott

when training I would also recommend the Piston duke.. Just remember the Turbine Duke, things happen rather fast and you have to be quick to stay ahead of the plane, but then again o boy the turbine duke is a joy to fly.

Again as others quoted.. The Real air Legacy is the best ever GA plane around with full IFR capabilities. the legacy is a real no brainer..

Hi everyone, and thank you all for your suggestions. This is what I finally came up with: a single engine with retractable gear and variable propeller pitch ( in the FAA documents, it is called a complex aircraft), which I have never flown. The thing about the prop pitch was raised by some other members on this forum. As twin engines have this characteristics, I'd rather deal with it at first with a single engine, since I still have to learn how it works, how to manage rpm and map. So this is what I will get: Carenado Bonanza F33 A, which I will integrate with a GNS430 from Reality XP. After that I am leaning on getting either the piston Duke, or the Carenado C340. The Turbine Duke is very fast and during the IFR examination you have to pretty much hand fly all the routes, sids, stars, using vor and ndb, and a slower and easier to control airplane is likely the most appropriate.

I always wondered what that "blue" lever next to the lean mixture was, and now I am getting into studying the workings of a prop pitch airplane. Very interesting indeed. Well, I have to thank you all once more for all of your suggestions, it seems I now have a plan to work on. Now, let me hit the Carenado website and get my new airplane... :lol:

Take care, any more questions I have, this is where I'll post, I have been a member of AVSIM for quite a while, but I have really started to come here just very recently, and I have to admit this is the best website for flight simulation there is...

Enrico B)

The F33 is my favorite Carenado plane..

If you read the F33 support forum, you'll see that I modified the autopilot and altitude

preselector to make it more like the real aircraft. Send me a PM with your email address,

and I'll send you a copy.

Also, if you are keen to make it realistic, I would advise to purchase the RXP FLT gauges.

They are first class and can be used in other aircraft as well. Attached a screenshot of the modified panel.

Bert

bert

only problem is that currently 90% of new releases come out with 3d gauges installed an you cannot use these replacement RXP FLT gauges anymore. or do I have it completely wrong?

No, that is correct - but for the F33 and C182Q they are a great fit!

I typically still add a Minipanel to each plane, using FLT gauges though...

Bert