Sign in to follow this  
enrico68

Pondering whether to buy it

So this is what I will get: Carenado Bonanza F33 A, which I will integrate with a GNS430 from Reality XP. After that I am leaning on getting either the piston Duke, or the Carenado C340. The Turbine Duke is very fast and during the IFR examination you have to pretty much hand fly all the routes, sids, stars, using vor and ndb, and a slower and easier to control airplane is likely the most appropriate.

Absolute great decision.. You will not regret the F33 for training purposes.

you also 100% correct. It does not help to get a plane that is fast as when training you fall so quickly behind and then it only get frustrating.

First train with the slower planes get everything sorted and then much later move over to the fast ones (turbine duke etc)

First train with the slower planes get everything sorted and then much later move over to the fast ones (turbine duke etc)

I agree - a good choice for this purpose, but I still have to chuckle a bit. Only in the world of sim GA would an F33 Bonanza be considered a slower plane! :unsure:

Way back when, I did my first CS prop time in a fixed gear Cessna Cardinal (177B), which was a fun plane to fly, and then transitioned to a 172RG (the gutless Cutlass!) to add in the retractable gear element. Both were excellent for the purpose of learning and slowly stepping up. Flight1 does make the Cardinal, but I don't know of anyone who makes a good 172RG.

In any case, enjoy the Bonanza.

Scott

Wonder Woman flew an invisible plane. A 6 pack just hovering over the taxi way with nothing else in sight, I think, qualifies as invisible.

For fun, you can have anything you like, but for IFR training, I would suggest you use what the school will use, and that will very probably be the 182 RG. Carenado does an excellent one, not the new 182T as that is an all glass cockpit and useless for your training, but the older (cheaper) one. No fancy electronics at all but a lot of fun to fly and navigate.

With all the talk about RealAir and the requirement for a single-engine aircraft, I'm surprised nobody mentioned RealAir's SF260. Single engine, complex, IFR capable, reasonably quick and with a nice bubble canopy for the view. In terms of performance, it's probably on a par with the default Mooney.

H

Keep in mind the SPP exam on IVAO requires a TWIN Turboprop or Propeller aircraft. You would do much better with a B200 King Air once it's out from Carenado or even the C-90 which you were thinking about initially, albeit slower. I had to take my SPP exam on a freeware B200 because no good twin turboprop was available at the time for FSX :(

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

A2A B-17 :lol:...its actually a pretty stable flyer, tho the vintage navigation instruments, your head will be spinning trying to handfly an NDB approach in it.

The OV-10 Bronco could be intersting too, it to has non standard navigation instruments...and no autopilot.

Honestly tho start you should start with somthing really slow like the Archer or 172 to get your brain and eyes used to instrument scans. The Archer is actually pretty nice for brushing up on hand flying approaches. Make sure you do it at night or in poor visiblity to get the full effect of relying soley on instruments. Once your brain gets up to speed, then hop in somthing like the Piston Duke. The T duke might be too much to handle, you have to plan way ahead with your power settings.

The Legacy is awesome, I hand flew a DME ARC-ILS approach in it the other day, it was quite stable....more stable than the RV-7 which handles like a fighter. If you want to work on precise control...try to handfly the RV-7 on an ILS :)

Cheers

TJ