Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Prepar3D Flight Dynamics

I see that the FSX aircraft Prepar3D includes in the stock installation are the Baron 58, King Air 350, CRJ700, Maule, Mooney Bravo, Piper Cub and R-22. Are those aircraft just ported from FSX or have they received any improvements, especially in the flight dynamics? I'd expect better flight dynamics from Prepar3D since it's a training product.

From what I can tell (limited time experimenting) I'd say they're exactly the same.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

From what I can tell (limited time experimenting) I'd say they're exactly the same.

Thanks for the response. Seeing that the Baron 58 and King Air 350 were added at a later version, I was wondering if they have received an improvement.

Prepar3D's flight dynamics engine is better, but I believe that there are no current commercially available aircraft that makes use of it. FSX ports use the FSX developed .air files, but I think that the fsx engines tend to be more powerful than they should be.

What about the Lionheart Mooney Acclaim included in V1.4? Would it be P3D native. regardless, it fly nice.

So what I've understood so far is, that the aircraft themselves have received no special treatment, but the general flight dynamics engine in Prepar3D is improved, right?

EDIT: "but I believe that there are no current commercially available aircraft that makes use of it" I had missed that previously. Well, I guess all the other aircraft make use of it?

So what I've understood so far is, that the aircraft themselves have received no special treatment, but the general flight dynamics engine in Prepar3D is improved, right?

EDIT: "but I believe that there are no current commercially available aircraft that makes use of it" I had missed that previously. Well, I guess all the other aircraft make use of it?

Yes. The FDE has been improved, but not the aircraft themselves. All of the stock aircraft that come with P3D are just FSX ports.

Yes. The FDE has been improved, but not the aircraft themselves. All of the stock aircraft that come with P3D are just FSX ports.

OK. So the FSX aircraft aren't affected by the improved FDE at all, but the new aircraft can take advantage of it, right?

What exactly has been improved? Is there any list? I'm really interested on that!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hi guys,

Iirc, LM haven't tweaked the FDE in so much as they've changed the code allowing for more advanced FM to be done outside of the sim. At the moment though, no one has taken advantage of this nice new feature.

Best wishes,

Jess B

Ah! Ok! That's an ESP-inherited feature... Now I understand :-) Thx Jessica

Main Simulation Rig:

Ah! Ok! That's an ESP-inherited feature... Now I understand :-) Thx Jessica

Uh... no, it's not. LM provided a new interface to Prepar3D that they call 'ExternalSim'. It doesn't exist in the copy of ESP I have.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

LM has cleaned the FDE making it more exact. ExternalSim is the gateway that enables a developer to use his own FDE in the sim, bypassing P3D's FDE. This is the way that a developer can create things like vectorial thrust and variable geometry wings. Stuff that is not supported the built-in FDE.