Sign in to follow this  
watermouse

Microsoft Flight - Mission Editor - Possible?

Hello guys/gals,

So I have been flying a TON of jobs in Alaska. I like to visit as many of the airports as I can, some are dang hard to get into and others I would have never ever gone there. So with these jobs, it makes it a lot of fun for me and my pops to fly around on Multi-player and do jobs and explore.

Anyways, I was thinking. Most games have Mission Editors I know flight is done with, but what would it take to have a mission editor?

I was thinking how cool that would be to make our own missions from here to here to there, ect.

That way we could maybe have a community upload or download or whatever to import new jobs into the game.

This could allow us to see other airports that no one goes too and also use some of the sea bases with the Icon in Alaska to land in.

Also, it would allow for heavier loads/passengers for the C46.

Just a thought -- Probably wont happen, but it would make it that much funner I think. Hrrmmppffh

Ahhh, that needs the SDK? The same SDK that 3rd party devs could make aircraft? That SDK?

If it is, then I retract my question as it will never happen. :(

I believe that was actually on Scruffy's big wish list for Flight.

Now of course we will never know if it was considered or could have been implemented.

While apparently they are doing a little with the current title, like bug fixes/tweaks, they will not be working on any new features, at least I would not think.

It would be nice though.

I like to visit as many of the airports as I can, some are dang hard to get into and others I would have never ever gone there.

Some of those clandenstine jobs will sure send you to some interesting airstrips.

2012-9-4_14-57-52-161.jpg

Its not possible now, but I would hardly ever say never. If Flight ever becomes true abandon-ware, some clever people might find ways to tweak things here and there.

What I would really love is access to an external scenery editor. I had one for FSX and spent quite some time annotating Hawaii. (My interest in the area predated Flight by quite a bit) but I was never pleased with my results. I would love to take a crack at Flight, though!!

201062923220990.jpg

2010629232032520.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If MS does truly abandon Flight, someone just might be able to figure out a way to convert and add scenery from FSX to Flight. Now wouldn't that be something!

Flight just has too much promise to be allowed to wither away; here's hoping the program will have future life someday.

Ken

Microsoft Flight is tightly closed. Unless Microsoft open it up, I really doubt someone can find a way to tweak it.

There actually was already a thread from somebody who was making some small inroads on making minor changes and that was months ago. Thread was locked, for obvious reasons.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Its not possible now, but I would hardly ever say never. If Flight ever becomes true abandon-ware, some clever people might find ways to tweak things here and there.

What I would really love is access to an external scenery editor. I had one for FSX and spent quite some time annotating Hawaii. (My interest in the area predated Flight by quite a bit) but I was never pleased with my results. I would love to take a crack at Flight, though!!

201062923220990.jpg

2010629232032520.jpg

Very nice job on Sand Island! The close-up alone was enough to identify it for me, before I scrolled down to the wider shot.

I spent many hours walking up and down that beach picking up sea-glass. :)

If MS does truly abandon Flight, someone just might be able to figure out a way to convert and add scenery from FSX to Flight. Now wouldn't that be something!

Flight just has too much promise to be allowed to wither away; here's hoping the program will have future life someday.

I strongly agree and I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I just can't see how it's in anyones interests to keep it closed. I know someone put a save Flight page on facebook but it seems geared towards asking MS to return to development which they seem to have no interest in. Also only 100 people or so have liked it so not exactly persuasive numbers for MS.

I'm wondering if the community could be more energized to support a campaign asking MS to open it up. I think even the Flight haters would be interested to see what 3rd parties could do with what everyone agrees is a very good engine.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It's called finding a computer scientist/computer engineer and telling them what you need help in. Of course, because of Flight, my aim is to be a Computer Scientist/Computer Engineer and program Flight Simulators for the community (maybe from scratch).

I strongly agree and I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I just can't see how it's in anyones interests to keep it closed.

It benefits Microsoft to keep it closed, as it remains an "asset" on their books. The code developed for Flight may be useful to them in the future, either in the development of another project or as something to be sold off.

Even if they know they will never do anything with it, it would not benefit them (except in their public image, which MS has no concerns over) to open the code. It's rarely helpful to show your current or potential competitors how you do things.

Microsoft as a company seems to actively be down on the simulation genre. Even flight seemed extremely (extremely!) poorly supported, and in many ways even when it was still under development, they seemed to be trying to kill their own product by neglect of even basic marketing 101

As much as I would like it not to be the case, I suspect that rather than giving somebody else the chance to do it right, they will simply hide the code in a cave (just out of habit) and by the time any interest is generated again, that code will be completely out of date and worthless.

In other words, a total loss. For everyone.

Devons rig