Sign in to follow this  
Redric1970

Any advice for a complete noob (much appreciated)

Hello, I am really after some advice and help if possible, I am a complete and utter flight sim noob and I mean noob, I played FA18 interceptor on my commodore Amiga around 28 years ago, then around a year ago I purchased xplane on my iPad, I loved the game but longed for a better version, so around a week ago I purchased xplane 10 and a Saitek x52 controller. I tried it out and oh my god is it complicated, just setting up the joystick has completely thrown me, I have managed to get a Plane in the air once lol (I told you I was useless) but a lot of the time the plan goes to the right, it never goes straight own the runway. Any advice would be much appreciated where should I start, what do I need to program in my joystick (and how), thanks for reading my waffle.

Morning,

While it hasn't been 28 years since I last played a flight sim, it has been sometime and so I started off buying the right equipment. For me that was a yoke, rudder pedals and trim control. But that is pretty expensive.

The X52 is a popular controller so I would start by searching Google or this Forum for X52 and X-Plane to see what past posts were like.

Which plane are you trying to fly? My suggestion is the Cessna 172 as it is a pretty easy plane to fly. Once you get used to X-Plane you can change to faster and more complicated planes.

Take care,

Right, I have had a play around now with Both xplane and fsx ( I'm still bloody useless) but I definately prefer fsx but graphically it's very poor, i know there are lot of add ons both free and costing, where do I start, I have spent ages reading things on the net, and I have to say the more I read the more confused I am. I really am as much as a novice as you are going to get, I bought a nice system to run these sort of games (dell xps 8500 i7 ivy bridge 3770, amd hd radeon 7870) so hopefully it will run anything I throw at it, what do you think are the add ons I need to get to make this game look good and how does it work, if I download something does It automatically update the game, sorry to be a pain as I said I am a complete novice who really does appreciate your help.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "X-Plane Tips and Tricks" to "The X-Plane General Discussions Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The x52 has a twist control for rudder and that should keep you on the runway as well as being able to correct the drift to the right. I think it is programmed that way by default, but if not, go into your joystick settings and the axis tab, and twist the stick and label that as yaw. There's a lot to learn, but, once into it, it starts to make sense.

John

John Wingold

The x52 has a twist control for rudder and that should keep you on the runway as well as being able to correct the drift to the right. I think it is programmed that way by default, but if not, go into your joystick settings and the axis tab, and twist the stick and label that as yaw. There's a lot to learn, but, once into it, it starts to make sense.

John

Thanks John, Its much appreciated, these games are so in depth, ric

Right, I have had a play around now with Both xplane and fsx ( I'm still bloody useless) but I definately prefer fsx but graphically it's very poor, i know there are lot of add ons both free and costing, where do I start, I have spent ages reading things on the net, and I have to say the more I read the more confused I am.

I know how you feel, Redric. I have the same. There is so much info it only makes you more confused. If I can offer some advice, pick the sim of your choice and go for it. What I like about FSX is it has lessons and missions which are quite fun actually. They are really a great starting point. Once you get more aquainted with your sim and you're sure it's the one for you, then you can start investing money in it. Until then, just sit tight on your money or you'll be spending your hard earned cash on something that might be collecting dust in a few months.

Happy flying!

That's right Redric,

I have used FSX and it's ancestors for years and they are more intuitive than XP10 or any of it's kin. I have only recently come to XP10 as Microsoft seems to have abandoned it's loyal following, only within the last few days actually announcing it's drop of support for FSX - whatever support they offered... I still fly FSX (and will as long as it will activate) as it is more familiar to me, but am trying to expand and finding myself into X-Plane more every day. You can find FSX Gold for under $30 online (Amazon for one) and try that for kicks, but I believe X-Plane is where it is heading.

John

John Wingold

Cheers chaps, I really am struggling with xplane, its very difficult, but have read so many good things about it, I'm just struggling with it, there are no begginers lessons unlike fsx.

Yeah, if there's one thing Laminar really needs to do to tap the MSFS fanbase it's making the new-user experience a bit more welcoming. Even veterans of FS struggle with getting used to the interface. Providing some sort of new-user roadmap in the sim would go a long way towards easing the transition for those switching from FSX and also serve as a friendly welcome to new simmers altogether.

Until then, just feel free to ask whatever you need. There's sure to be someone who can help you out.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Cheers chaps, your advice is invaluable, I can't believe how much there is to these games the addons, scenery, planes, mesh, weather, it just goes on and on, I tried downloading a free area from orbx (north America) I downloaded it but tried for over 3 hours to use it but to no avail, I actually think I'm going to have to ask my 12 year old son to help, I must be getting old. Any advice for getting better scenery on fsx, the graphics aren't great.

While many of us here in the X-Plane forums are pretty versed in FSX, we try to adhere to the rules about keeping discussions on forum topics. You might want to direct that question to the FSX forums.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

While many of us here in the X-Plane forums are pretty versed in FSX, we try to adhere to the rules about keeping discussions on forum topics. You might want to direct that question to the FSX forums.

Oh sorry I thought this was all one site, I didn't realise.

Oh sorry I thought this was all one site, I didn't realise.

It is, but with many subfora. Management prefers that we try to limit topics to the forums that cater to a specific topic (in this case, general discussions related to X-Plane). It might seem a bit irritating, but it's necessary to maintain some semblance of order. Plus, whenever someone asks a question, there's a good chance that many other people may have the same question, so it's easy for them to browse through the appropriate forums and find solutions to problems that others have found before them.