Sign in to follow this  
sleightflight

Horizon photo scenery still blurring with high end pc

In the [TERRAIN] section of your fsx.cfg set

LOD_RADIUS=9.000000

Dave.

That's extremely high and might cause out-of-memory errors. A value of 6.500000 is better.

At 7.5 one of the first cfg tweaks I do , along with affinity mask 14 & texture max load 4096 for Rex.

Was going to get a nvidia 670 if my 5870 wasn't sorted but as I got a 6970 for free I went with it , & I've seen some YouTube vids of fsx & a 6970 & they looked really good.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

That's extremely high and might cause out-of-memory errors. A value of 6.500000 is better.

Sleightflight has a higher spec computer than I (although my i5 2500k is running at 4.8), but I run with nearly everything maxed out and can happily run Horizon and other photo sceneries all day long with a Lod Radius of 9.00000 without OOM issues.

Screenshot taken in flight at over 300kts without pausing sim:

I can FORCE an OOM by flying with max settings over UK2000 London City Extreme, with VFR London and UK2000 Heathrow Extreme in view (usually whilst hosting a Multiplayer session for 6 or 8 people), but this is the only circumstance in which it happens.

Certainly 300kts is a big ask, but then in real life only the military are allowed to exceed 250kts below 10,000 feet. Also, I'm not sure that an ATI card is capable of the same results as NVidia.

Dave.

@dave belsey: It's true that you've got a very high-end system, but the OPs system has a lower core clock and an AMD card which is going to perform worse. So I guess that such high a LOD is too much for him.

@FreeBird(Josh): FSX is different than FS9, so such a high TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT value is going to cause problems according to most FSX tuning guides.

You're a lucky guy then, Dave. I have to stick to LOD 4.5 in DX9 mode, although I suspect that I could go much higher in DX10 mode. I don't think FSX really likes my graphics drivers when running in DX9 mode...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris

I have to stick to LOD 4.5 in DX9 mode

I don't see your specs on here, but I'm surprised at that.

I run the same settings on my secondary machine, which only has an i7 920 running at 4.0GHz, 6GB of RAM. and a GTX460 with 1024MB.

Dave.

Chris

I don't see your specs on here, but I'm surprised at that.

I run the same settings on my secondary machine, which only has an i7 920 running at 4.0GHz, 6GB of RAM. and a GTX460 with 1024MB.

Dave.

Your secondary machine is still considered a high-end system today. Though I guess Chris has an AMD cards because "FSX doesn't like his drivers". The AMD drivers don't support FSX's older rendering engine, which is why NVIDIA cards get better performance.

Nope, I use an Nvidia graphics card. This is my PC spec....

Gigabyte Z68A-D3 motherboard

Intel Core i5 2500k CPU @ 4.3Ghz

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

700W Xigmatek NRP-PC702 PSU

8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM

1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti

SB X-Fi Xtreme Music

Windows 7 64bit

I think that I have the Forceware 196.19 drivers installed. My statement that I have to stick to LOD 4.5 isn't strictly true. I have increased it to 6.5 in the past, but I reduced it again because of my OOM errors. However, this may not make any difference at all.

By the way, Dave......this is the Chris from the UK2000 beta team :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have increased it to 6.5 in the past, but I reduced it again because of my OOM errors.

With 8GB ram and 64-bits system you shouldn't experience OOM errors if you have correct, up to date FSX.exe file. Which version of FSX do you have installed? Do you have installed FSX Service Pack 2 which replace old FSX.exe with new one having LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag set on? It should be hard to get OOM errors with 4 GB of virtual address space avaliable for FSX.

I have similar configuration, always fly with Lod_radius=6.5 setting and never experienced OOM errors.

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

Should not be any higher than 120 for FSX. For FS9, 400 was okay. A figure of 400 will put a lot of stress on your video card and system! Mine is 80. Most people keep the figure lower than 100.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Should not be any higher than 120 for FSX. For FS9, 400 was okay. A figure of 400 will put a lot of stress on your video card and system! Mine is 80. Most people keep the figure lower than 100.

Best regards,

Jim

Mine is set to 400 and my card dates from the Jurrasic era.

LOL! (about the Jurrasic era). I got my info from NickN's guide on Setting up FSX and Tuning It where he states in his FSX settings section:

IMPORTANT: This setting IS NOT THE SAME AS FS9! The amount of data being tasked is MASSIVE compared to FS9.

DO NOT SET THIS TO 400! SETTING THIS TO 400 IS A MYTH IN FSX!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

With 8GB ram and 64-bits system you shouldn't experience OOM errors if you have correct, up to date FSX.exe file. Which version of FSX do you have installed? Do you have installed FSX Service Pack 2 which replace old FSX.exe with new one having LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag set on?

I have FSX Gold Edition installed, so that means SP1, SP2, and Acceleration. It's worth noting that I do NOT suffer OOM errors in DX10 Preview mode. It is super stable in that mode, so I am not sure what the problem is....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png