Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

Buy current 747 or wait for new? Discount?

Ok I have a strong itch to fly the 747 from PMDG as Ive tried others including default and they just dont cut it once you fly a PMDG.

So my question to current 747 pilots, Is it worth buying now or shall I wait? Is it just too old of a release to fly realistically?

It would be nice if somebody from PMDG chimed in. Like perhaps if there was a discount for buying the new one when it comes out if I buy the current one now or vice versa.

I fly the MD11 and love it. and the NGX is super realistic and great quality, but its not a "heavy" and would like to add a second bird to the fleet now. Who knows when T7 will be out.

Anyones thoughts?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I'm also thinking along these lines. So far I haven't got the 747 since the v2 is coming, but the more I wait the more I really want to fly it. If I knew there would be a discount ahead that would most likely push me over the edge to buy it now and then buy the v.2 when it comes out.

Then again, if the 777 comes out next week I'll be busy with that for a while, not very likely maybe but one can always dream!

Tough question! I have the current -400X and I love it even though the NGX which I also have is a (visually) far superior product. I can only imagine what advances from that standard will make its way into the T7 and the 747 2.0. Personally I'm more excited about 2.0 than the T7 but I'll probably get both.

The current 400X is still a great fly, everything works, there's lots to do and damn she just looks and sounds really really good (I splurged on those UHD external textures you can get for her too which look just fantastic)

There's no right answer here but if the budget allows for it, get the current Queen - impossible to say when 2.0 will come along, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year sometime so why deprive yourself of some good fun with a great Heavy today !

Oh, PMDG, you can send my comission check to the regular location :P

thanks for your answers. What a dilemma. Well the budget never allows for it being on disability, but boredom and need for variety trumps budget.. Just have to sacrifice some food. LOL

Usually an outdated product will have some big discounts when a new one is coming, but maybe this means V2 is too far off at this pt.

Any comment from PMDG if your reading this?

CYVR LSZH 

The product is not outdated in my opinion. It is the best /400 you can get out there. And the 747 V2.0 as you said seems to be far away considering the development cycles from previous planes. I've flown it a lot until I got the MD11. It has nothing to do with inferior quality as they are almost on the same level of quality for me. I just turned into a true McDonnell Douglas MD11 ....

I have two options for you.

1. easy way, go buy it :D

2. fun way: Fly the NGX until the 777 comes out, then fly the 777 until the V2 comes out. You may get the QW 787 too, I'm sure it will be blast.

:D

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I have two options for you.

1. easy way, go buy it :D

2. fun way: Fly the NGX until the 777 comes out, then fly the 777 until the V2 comes out. You may get the QW 787 too, I'm sure it will be blast.

:D

Good options. I fly the MD11 alot. NGX too but its not a heavy.

Any chance the license is transferrable? meaning has anyone seen their pmdg 747 for sale in classifieds?

CYVR LSZH 

Hm, I really want the 747 now! The NGX is brilliant but it doesn't do longhaul. And I love the MD11 but i mainly use it for cargo, and by the end of the day it just isn't the 747. (Not to mention my VA do use both but the 747 has a lot more variety to the routes flown compared to the MD11).

I think I'm going to have to give this some more serious consideration when I get my next paycheck!

I say get it! But get it on sale. I see it for around $29.99 some places. It's one of my favorites. The system modeling is so great! And there is no aircraft more elegant and beautiful IMO. Besides, it may be a long time before we get the new one!

I say get it! But get it on sale. I see it for around $29.99 some places. It's one of my favorites. The system modeling is so great! And there is no aircraft more elegant and beautiful IMO. Besides, it may be a long time before we get the new one!

Where the heck have you seen $29.99?? Is that the downloadable version or boxed?

CYVR LSZH 

I was lucky and purchased my real (and new) boxed version (labelled Aerosoft) from Amazon for a little less than $24, but it is no longer available at that price. It was weird when the B747-8 expansion pack off the PMDG web site cost more than the base pack!

I wouldn't say that. They said that the V2 would follow quickly after the 777. We also know that the 777 is "descending" It won't be that long. I estimate january / february.

But then again if you really can't wait, go for it. Just bear in mind that it's a legacy product and the graphical quality won't be as great as the almighty NGX.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png