Sign in to follow this  
737guy

So Long NG!

My buddy is really hating what the 737 NG is doing to his quality of life as well, he's going to switch to longer haul again once he got enough hours on the NG. The NG seems like hard work compared to say the 744

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Well,

After almost 5500 hours in the 737NG, I'm moving on... It was a tough decision, made easier with a few things that are going on with my airline... Short of my time on the Mad Dog, and the F-111 in the Air Force, I've never been more fond of an aircraft... Well, there were a few years as an FO on the MD-11, but I digress...

I'll be moving on to the 757/767, which will net me (I hope) a better long term quality of live based on a few things going on with my airline, and where I am based. So with that, I share a very recent shot when I had the good fortune to bum a ride on FlagShip Detroit (DC-3). Thats the Freedom Tower up ahead. Second pic is of my new office.... Fire away any NG questions you may have, while I still remember things! :)

615513_10151000035743192_584678800_o.jpg

21072_214617658191_2575626_n.jpg

First of all I would like to express my pleasure having you here in this forum and thanks in advance for your time.

I have a question, not strictly related to tech matters..... could you please briefly describe an episode where you had professional issues with a collegue during flight, even if she/he was a crew member. Better if the episode will speak about an F/O or a pilot, which was the cause and how you managed to solve the issue, beside of course executing the captain orders.

Thanks in advance

MarkII:

I've flown with my fair share of captains that presented a challenge to work with in the past, but never to the point where we were not able to focus on the task at hand. I will say this, I have seen a few younger FOs that at times are more focused on playing digital iPhone footsie with an FA than focusing on pre-flight. Usually a calm but firm comment snaps them back to attention. All said, I make sure to let my crew know I value them being there, and that they are a hugely important part of getting the aircraft from Point A to Point B, and that I want their input at all times...

Much appreciated.

I know what you mean about younsgters fiddling with smart phones...I have the same " issue " in my job, even if, unluckily, it's not aviation related :(

playing digital iPhone footsie

The last time i saw this all i had to say was" Hey you know I always wonder what would happen if you flush the iphone on a airplane toilet??? "

Image removed as image is no longer available.

The last time i saw this all i had to say was" Hey you know I always wonder what would happen if you flush the iphone on a airplane toilet??? "

LOL! I will have to try that next time it happens.

Well,

After almost 5500 hours in the 737NG, I'm moving on... It was a tough decision, made easier with a few things that are going on with my airline... Short of my time on the Mad Dog, and the F-111 in the Air Force, I've never been more fond of an aircraft... Well, there were a few years as an FO on the MD-11, but I digress...

I'll be moving on to the 757/767, which will net me (I hope) a better long term quality of live based on a few things going on with my airline, and where I am based. So with that, I share a very recent shot when I had the good fortune to bum a ride on FlagShip Detroit (DC-3). Thats the Freedom Tower up ahead. Second pic is of my new office.... Fire away any NG questions you may have, while I still remember things! :)

615513_10151000035743192_584678800_o.jpg

That's awesome. Did you end up taking the DC-3 picture?

Ken Stango

Ken,

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the DC-3 that I can find at the moment.

Thanks

Ken,

Thanks

We're you on that Flight with Captain Kent Wien out on interest?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ken,

Thanks

It's no problem. I am not asking for you to find a picture of the DC-3, I am asking you if you were the person that took the DC-3 picture that you posted at the beginning of the thread. All that I am looking for is a simple "yes" or "no" response to my question. Thanks.

Ken Stango

Congratulations!

One question pops in mind though. Has it ever happened that you that you though "stupid 737, I wish I was in another plane" at a particular moment?

Regards,

Manfred

For me there are two things that drive me mad on the 737. First is the flight warning system "six pack" system. When doing the recall check very frequently some of the lights will fail to light up. The solution is to keep pressing the recall until everything works or have the other guy press his but sometimes then different lights will fail to light up. I've also had it where the was an actual malfunction and the Master Caution lit up but not the light in the six pack. In my opinion there is no good reason why they couldn't have a 747/757/767/777 style EICAS in the 737.

The other thing is the Speed Trim. I have noticed almost 100% of the time for very small speed variations it trims the wrong way. For example when accelerating out of 10,000 I will very deliberately activate the trip at the bugged speed to set the speed trip to that speed. If I get just a few knots fast the speed trim will roll in a little nose down trim. For a speed increase it should be nose up. Another trim annoyance is when leveling off. When you reduce thrust the nose wants to drop. The plane will roll in a little nose up trim to compensate. The problem is that it put the trim in way too early in the level off and you end up fighting the plane to actually level off. If it just waited a little longer to make the trim input it would actually be helpful. Now I hand fly a lot so maybe that is why this bothers me so much. On the other hand I am on track to hit 7000 hours on the 737 by the end of the year so maybe it's just time for a change. The problem is I am so junior that I can't go any lower so I guess I will just suck it up and have fun flying this plane.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg