Sign in to follow this  
Ps762

Do you know anyone who never got married?

Unless your fiance is named Kate Upton, getting married is one of the most stupid things you can do in your life.

I have been sitting here staring at the screen for half an hour, waiting for my wife / master to leave the room so I don't get into more trouble than normal. Forty plus tears, oops! I mean, . . . years ago I thought I was getting married. It turns out that I simply fell into a well baited and set TRAP! Big%20Grin.gif Seriously we were married a the age of nineteen (to young IMHO) But we would do it all over again. We literally grew up together (matured) and learned to be each others best buddy, supporter, care giver etc. We have sacrificed a few dreams along the way for the sake of one or the other and more importantly, shared our dreams and goals merged into one.

I have a aunt who had her heart broken when she was very young and so swore she would never marry. She hardly ever dated and never desired a serious relationship. She worked for a bank and during a meeting with a client they agreed to finish the meeting at a coffee shop. Here we have my aunt, a very proper lady (remember miss Hathaway, the bank lady from The Beverly Hillbillies?) and this man who had never been married, was gruff and unpolished to say the least. Talk about opposites! Well you guessed it, they were married a couple of months later. Both were in their fifties. Imagine how stunned I was when my wife and I got the chance to go visit. Miss Hathaway was wearing a pair of jeans, tee shirt, bare foot and drinking a Bud! The important thing is that they were both as happy as can be.

I have had friends who never had a relationship that lasted a week and were happy and others that were miserable. A few were married young like my wife and me and are still married. And yet others who are on their third or fourth. Some who have been with the same partner for decades but not married.

It seems to me that it all depends on personality type, social environment and being just plain lucky enough to find a partner whose attributes merge with yours and yours with theirs, instead of conflicting more than each (or one) can tolerate.

Best regards to all,

Mel

I LIKE being married. In fact, I'm in search of my 3rd ex-wife right now. IMHO, there's no real sense of commitment these days. Divorce is way too easy to get, and there is no social stigma about it any more. Everybody is into self-actualization, and being alone, and everybody has too many "issues", and what not, so it is felt that it's just easier to be alone. With all of the distractions we have in modern society, that's pretty understandable.

Pierre: I would suggest you get with a mental health professional and start there. Don't be cheap -- there is no better investment than that mae in personal resolution and soul nurturing. Trust me. My last divorce kicked the crap out of me emotionally, but I'm such a better man because of all the work I've done on myself since then! If you want to be alone, they will help you resolve that so that you are a bit more accepting of that. If you want friends, they can help you with that, too. But to have friends you have to contribute and work to get them -- it's not a one way street, and what you put in to it is EXACTLY what you will get out of it -- and you will NEVER find and keep a wife without mastering the art of friendship!

If you're not ready to go out for help, or don't feel it's a dire enough situation, there are a TON of self help books out there -- I've read over 100 in the year and a half since my (last) wife moved out. Personally, this guy changed my life! I HIGHLY recommend his ebooks and audio programs -- he and his wife sell many and this is the one I started with:

<< http://tinyurl.com/8boccca >>

PM me if you want.

Old and single, AGAIN.

Never married here either, although, I was engaged once.

It still gives me shivers to think how close I came to messing up the whole works!!

I've been a "lone wolf" all this time, and have enjoyed it tremendously.

Unless your fiance is named Kate Upton

Always a goal, however... Super attractive people have their own problems... mostly mental, LOL... and they cost allot of money.

Unless your fiance is named Kate Upton, getting married is one of the most stupid things you can do in your life.

I had to Google her....LOL

Matthew Kane

I had to Google her....LOL

I wanted to Google her too... but the line is too long! LOL... sorry... its late.

I had to google her too I didnt know who she was...luckily my computer froze while on the google results, darn technology lol.

I'd like to add that there's no point in being a pilot and being married. Why did you want to be a pilot in the first place? Now don't tell me it was about the flying, I've seen Top Gun more than once. -_-

I'd like to add that there's no point in being a pilot and being married. Why did you want to be a pilot in the first place? Now don't tell me it was about the flying, I've seen Top Gun more than once. -_-

:LMAO:

Top Gun is Fiction....Truth is most pilots are nerds and that former 1960's sexy perception has been dead for a very long time...LOL

(Sorry if I upset anyone) but Nerd is the new cool....

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Hi.

Happily never-married here. I have a daughter of 19 years, but the relationship with her mother rapidly descended into nightmare. It took me a lo-o-o-ong time to recover from that... including a period of chemical adjustment.

If it's finding a partner that worries you, I think widening your social circle is the best way to start. Meeting the right person may take forty years but if you don't meet people at all, you'll never find them.

Sadly, there's no easy way to accept that being single is ok- we're constantly under pressure to conform, from society, from friends or acquaintances, from ourselves and our perception of the world around us. Take it from me though, living your own life is wonderfully self-indulgent and there really is nothing wrong with it. I find I don't need much company and tend to meet only with a small number of friends, and that fairly infrequently. If the people you know understand that you may get uncomfortable in company they'll make allowances for that and they'll still be your friends; you just need to open out to them first and explain how you are.

It seems to me that your isolation is affecting your happiness and your self-esteem. Don't worry: if you want to be a different person this page might help you get started: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm If you find from it (or any of the similar pages, there are lots of them) that you are genuinely suffering then go and see your doctor and explain what you've found out about yourself and how you'd like to be. You'll be surprised by the sympathetic and practical response to whatever difficulty you have.

And last, keep in mind that many adults are single for a large portion of their lives, and (in the developed world at least) one person in five will suffer depression at some time.

Let us know how things work out.

D

Hi!

Many thanks for the replies and stories. I guess I should maybe not try to worry about it so much and try to focus more on being happy myself. However that is easier said than done from my experience! However I did manage to get out today and went to visit my old airfield where I used to take flying lessons which was nice. It's a beautiful airfield and on a sunny day like today is even better in real life than FsX. Plus the people at my old flight school don't mind me hanging out and drinking a diet coke for an hour!

On an aviation note there was a Cessna lesson today where the flaps stopped working (C172). They handled it well though and everyone was safe which is good.

Many thanks,

Pierre

Hi Pierre, I got married and was married with the same lady 13 years . It was a mistake ! I have been alone since she left in 2005 and I mean completley !.the only human contact I have had is I hugged my mom when she beat breast cancer last year ,but you know these have been the best 7 years of my life .. in fact it was seven years ago today she left .I have no interest in pursuing a relationship with anyone and the friends I have are drifting away but I couldn't care less. Just remember, no matter how many friends you have, everybody dies alone .so one may as well learn to live that way as well. its not a big deal. I find pleasant forum banter all the social interaction I need outside of work. !

Pierre, I know you're pretty near me, so happy to meet up for a coffee or something and talk planes/whatever :smile:

Don't worry and obsess about it, it will eventually consume your life if you do.

I thought I was going to be alone for a long while. Then the women started falling like ripe fruit from trees when I just acted like myself. Just be yourself and don't try so hard.

:LMAO:

Top Gun is Fiction....Truth is most pilots are nerds and that former 1960's sexy perception has been dead for a very long time...LOL

(Sorry if I upset anyone) but Nerd is the new cool....

Cheers

I may be a nerd, but I'm very handsome. Just ask my mom.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules