Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

ATC Runway Numbers Wrong For EGCC

I'm having a problem with the FSX default ATC for Manchester, (EGCC) it uses runway numbers 06L, 06R, 24L, & 24R rather than the correct 05L, 05R, 23L & 23R. My UK2000 Airports & PMDG flight management computer are correct with their runway numbers so i was wondering if i could alter the default ATC to say the correct runway numbers?

Thankyou for reading.

Si.

I gather runways get re-designated from time to time in the real world - why i don't know as presumably they don't move. The default FSX airport is merely out of date.

The first thing you could consider doing is adding a new freeware AFCAD file for the airport. There are a few in the File Library - search for EGCC in the FSX/AFCAD section. One is from Alpha India, who produce reputable AI flightplans - you'll probably find you get better parking as well as re-named runways.

He doesn't seem to have done Manchester but I'd also like to put a plug in for Ray Smith who generates quite a lot of freeware AFCADS - some of which are fairly large updates e.g. the new terminal & tower at Heathrow. I use a lot of his files.

Alternatively, you could get Airport Design Editor and try to make the changes yourself http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/ - but I'd get an AFCAD - it's easier!

ngxu_banner.png

I gather runways get re-designated from time to time in the real world - why i don't know as presumably they don't move.

They do!

Runways are designated after their heading from magnetic north and not the geographical north.

Since the magnetic north pole is moving at a rate of about 1 degree every 9 years, this creates these phenomenal.

The variation rate varies on different spots on the globe, some places move more, some less, but these also varies time to time.

But like your answer, yes get an AFCAD update, should be some in the data base, and also you can update the magnetic variation in FSX and FS9 by a download from here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Thankyou for your replies gents, i used an AFCAD update & ran the World Navaids installer but while my runway numbers are still correct for EGCC, the default ATC still tells my to use the old runway numbers?

I guess what i'll do is just use the old ATC instructions but realise it means the new runway numbers.

By the way Pontus, i never realised that runways were named after the magnetic degree that they ran at, i kind of had a WOW moment there.

EDIT: The runway numbers are also the old numbers when setting up the Free Flight options in FSX.

Edited by Bolt

FSX approaches relate to the runway designator. If you change the designator in isolation you are likely to break the pre-existing approaches.

I think the general approach to changing runway is:

1. change runway designation (this shows the correct white number on the rwy)

2. delete the runway starts and add new ones with new designation (this sets the start position in the free flight and flight planner)

3. change ILS runway designation (if ILS exists)

4. Change approach headers runway designation (this is what the GPS shows eg ILS 05L approach)

5. Look through approach legs for any legs using runway threshold as endpoints (will be named RWxxx eg RW05L) and rename

6. Optionally you can update any other leg endpoints that don't have official names rather look like FI05L, FF05L etc and rename them (not required, just for display on GPS/maps)

scott s.

Thankyou for your input guys i really do appreciate it.

Before i go any further with changing stuff would any of these suggestions change the Default Air Traffic Control Voice to saying the correct runways for EGCC?

Si.

He doesn't seem to have done Manchester but I'd also like to put a plug in for Ray Smith who generates quite a lot of freeware AFCADS - some of which are fairly large updates e.g. the new terminal & tower at Heathrow. I use a lot of his files.

I agree, Ray Smith is awesome!

Si,

I have UK2000 Manchester Xtreme installed, and default ATC correctly identifies the runways as 05L/05R/23L/23R. In fact, that should be done automatically without you having to do anything. Have you had older versions of Manchester Airport installed that had the 06/24 designations? If so, check to make sure that they have been removed.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi,

firstly I realise the last post to this thread is almost 3 years old but I wish to share my fix for EGCC.

Having very recently got back in to simming and plumped for FSX:SE, I have had a multitude of questions that needed answering and joining AVSIM has been a complete Godsend.

This however is my first post as prior to this the wealth and depth of knowledge throughout these forums has not necessitated my interaction as just through searching I found all my answers.

In light of this I though it about time that I gave a little back.

---------

The other day while trying to get my head around using an FMC in the PMDG747 I was following this YouTube tutorial.

The creator of the tutorial  was flying from EGCC 05R to EGLL 27R.

Straight away I hit a snag because when I loaded FSX and attempted to start at EGCC, the runway options I had available were 06R&L & 24R&L, not 05 as in the video.

I know that I had the latest AIRAC 1506 DB loaded and put two & two together to conclude that the data built in to FSX itself was out of date.

A quick Google later provided this thread.

I downloaded a freeware application called FSX Planner & set about altering the EGCC bgl file.

I have now changed all original pointers for 06L to 05L, 06R to 05R, 24L to 23L & 24R to 23R.

This includes runway markings, start points, taxiways, ILS, navaids & approaches etc...

Quick screenshot of my C152 G-BSTO at EGCC on 05L

It took me a little bit of fiddling to get the correct priority for the addon inside the Scenery Library as I have got ORBX installed but eventually found that it works perfectly located here:

Manchester EGCC [RWYS 05&23]

Anyway, here is the updated BGL file for anyone that wishes to have it.

EGCC Updated Runways

Kind regards..,

1CM69