Sign in to follow this  
zmak

where to from here?

After flying the 737 for several months Im at the point where I can cold n dark start and fly it anywhere with SIDS and STARS . using voxatc as airtraffic control.

However Im starting to feel a bit flat and bored to be honest so I am interested in suggestions as to where to focus for more immersion. What do some of the more hard core flyers do to plan, fly and execute the perfect flight? and importantly how long do you allow for the flight planning?

ZORAN

check out the more exotic/interesting/difficult places, do failures, do a couple flights without LNAV... that kind of stuff. Or change the plane for a while.

About flight planning, well depends, if I feel like it I will spend hours at a time for a flight, getting a valid route, reading weather, NOTAMs, figuring fuel burn, studying charts...

Shoot some non-precision approaches and handfly them. Anyone can do endless ILS after ILS. Try a procedural VOR/NDB approach, do some go arounds, have a read of the finer things about the plane that you don't normally do in FS, like non-normals.

Guest BeaverDriver

Take the 600 and look for strips between 5 and 6 thousand feet long. Both the 600 and 700 will do those if you flight plan carefully (i.e. watch your weights, but that doesn't mean going empty by any stretch - use the charts supplied to figure out what you can and can't do).

Come round to mine and help me develop my skills further?!

Maybe a break is what you need. Then coming back to it you should appreciate it again. Along perhaps with some of the suggestions made above.

Pick up the PMDG MD 11 or JS-41. They are different enough and provide a challenge initially to get right, especially the J41. Or you can do extreme things with the weather!

Flying VOR/DME approaches is fun. Especially cycling ones.

Take the 600 and look for strips between 5 and 6 thousand feet long. Both the 600 and 700 will do those if you flight plan carefully (i.e. watch your weights, but that doesn't mean going empty by any stretch - use the charts supplied to figure out what you can and can't do).

-800 lands on shortish runways nicely too. My hometown airport has 6988 LDA airfield + a sharp turn before a not so long final.

Awesome. Bringin' this baby down is so cool.

Non precision approaches

Circling approaches

Try to acomplish a complete CDA from Cruise to ILS

Practice engine failure departures, failures in general

Or if you use voxatc, take the step online on vatsim and fly with real ATC and expand that dimension of your flight.

Try fspassengers or fscaptain (I belive it's called, can't remember of the top of my head).

Join a Virtual Airline.

What I'm trying to say with the last few suggestions is that you can expand your flying in more ways than one, increasing realism by adding simulated passengers, a simulated airline or live ATC can IMO bring a lot to your flightsim experience. I myself fly on vatsim with a virtual airline and find that it adds greatly to my enjoyment.

some good suggestions here. I do fly in 3 Va's spread over the world and also have a lot of J41 time.

I think shorter fields and a non ils approach could be start but I am limited by my va's as to what i can do

ZORAN

I think shorter fields and a non ils approach could be start but I am limited by my va's as to what i can do

Then don't fly online/with your VA? :blink:

Why don't you fly tutorial 2 into Innsbruck... It's really fun! Also, try flying into Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont.

Then don't fly online/with your VA? :blink:

Why don't you fly tutorial 2 into Innsbruck... It's really fun! Also, try flying into Rio de Janeiro-Santos Dumont.

Lol i know its strange but I feel a sense of purpose with a VA . Now you nailed it for me, I need to do all those tutorials properly and then will buy topcat and refine my flying!

ZORAN

Online flying did it for me. I am now a official ATC stalker. I fly where I see them on lol. Makes good for seeing a lot of the FS world and tests your knowledge when all of a sudden you are flying in Russian airspace with center on and all and have no idea what's going on. Sink or swim. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol i know its strange but I feel a sense of purpose with a VA . Now you nailed it for me, I need to do all those tutorials properly and then will buy topcat and refine my flying!

Good luck into Innsbruck! ^_^

I recently started learning how to use charts and attempt to fly non precision approaches as many have suggested already. It really has opened the sim up for me. I have been simming for years and can't believe I haven't done this before. My next step is to try some online flying but don't feel confident enough yet.