Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

Turn Crash Detection On?

I was wondering about turning crash detection on. Up until now I haven't because I remember in FS9 there were issues with invisible runway incursions that could bring a long flight to a frustrating and unhappy end. How is the default scenery in this regard, and do most airport addons address this?

I leave it off as well...as well as aircraft stress causes damage. There have been many flights where I have crashed due to FSXs rediculous wind shifts. I'm using ASX with wind smoothing on and I still get the ridiculous shifts.

I guess, you won't find many people here who have it turned on. For example, there are various issues that keep me from switching it on.

First of all it's the strange "service cars" on airports which refuse to take the roads and speed around on taxiways with higher priority given to them than to me (e.g. I had to stop my 747 after I've actually got take-off clearance and commenced take-off run,because a tanker appearing in front of my plane out of nowhere, crossed the RWY).

Second, there are some airports, where it's pretty much impossible to land with crash detection on, because there are trees so close to the runway that you have to fly through them (which would lead to a crash) or you risk to overshoot the runway.

Third, on some approaches it happens that you crash into invisible objects.

Fourth, I've had it more tha once that AI traffic passed through my plane because I was too slow for them (especially when on approach with a little Cessna, some heavies would pass me just to go around, because I'm already cleared to land).

And most of all, if the touch down's too hard, you'll get a crash message, too.

Guess that answers my question lol. Nothing worse than ending a long flight with a perfect landing and have a fuel truck come out of nowhere and drive right into you...

No, the crash boxes in FSX are also ridiculously large. You can miss the scenery object by a wide margin and still crash because FSX detected contact with the crash box.

Personally, I'm in the other camp.. I prefer to have C-D on.. I've been having an issue which was bouncing me into the stratosphere.. Figured it out.. Missed having it on.. Maybe I will turn it off though..

-Damien

I have it turned on and it gives me more realism.

But what I hate is that after a crash FSX starts reloading your flight and sets you faaaar away from your location. You cannot even abort this. In FS9 there was a autosave feature which helped, but for FSX I haven't found a good one yet.

I tired crash detection when I first started flight simming but it is not realistic. I have taken several flights with default heavies and commercial aircraft like the PMDG 747, 737NGX, iFly 737 and no matter what I do, it will eventually crash halfway through a flight due to stress on the aircraft. This is certainly strange to get stress on an aircraft when the autopilot and/or FMC is flying the aircraft and there is no real world weather loaded. If an aircraft is flying under autopilot and FSX says the right wing broke off due to stress, then I fear for real world flying. It's fun to try though if you have nothing else to do and see how far you can get before you crash and have to start over.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have it turned on. Always have. Stress damage too. What I'd like to see is for FSX to have the ability to go back just before the crash so you could try to avoid what it is that made you crash. I believe there was a sim like that several years ago. Think it was Pro Pilot, Flight Unlimited, or something.

Currently, a crash puts your plane WAY BACK to where you started the flight. This can be annoying if you just spent over a hour in the air and you make 1 dumb move (like overspeeding) that crashes your plane and doesn't allow you to finish.

It always happens to me when I'm just getting set up to shoot an ILS, and descending, and somehow I'm not watching my speed, and the plane stresses out.

Stan

If you have the payware FSUIPC it has the autosave feature, so you can go back to before the crash and try again. I save the last 15 minutes which is usually enough to retry approaches. FSUIPC also has a pause after crash feature though I don't use that one.

Barry Friedman

I would love to turn it on...because for IFR i want to crash if I don't fly well. But this doesn't properly... I can still fly thought half the buildings (addons especially) and I hit invisible objects. so its not good.

Another thing, when it crashes, it exists FSX..silly. I need to know it crashed but not leave the and reload the whole thing.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

This can be annoying if you just spent over a hour in the air and you make 1 dumb move (like overspeeding) that crashes your plane and doesn't allow you to finish.

Haha not to be a troll but doesnt that force you to be more cautious of what you are doing. IRL when im in IMC, I only have one opportunity to get it right. I also like that aspect in my simming. Just my opinion though...

Particularly leave it off if you're in to tactical aircraft like the VRS Superbug. My time is split 50/50 with tubeliners and tactical birds. The FSX crash detection will cause over-G and carrier landing crashes well below limits on these tactical aircraft.

My feeling about crashes in FSX (as long as FSX crash detection is what it is) is that you know when you crash. If you're honest with yourself, that's all you need.

Eric Szczesniak