Sign in to follow this  
mr340

How do you keep track of all the payware airports you have ?

Hi would like to know how you guys keep track of all the payware airport you guys have? I myself have a lot of payware airports that i have bought but sometimes i even forget i have them . Because i bought so many sometime it is hard to keep track an i came to notice the other day that i had few payware airports that i haven't even visit yet. What are some of the ways to best keep track of your payware scenery or airport?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Well, that's actually a pretty good question.

I too sometimes forget I even have certain payware airports/sceneries. Although I always take a look around them in the trike after I get them installed to check them out, make sure everything looks good, everything works, etc.

I also have a ton of airports I never fly into anymore mostly because the VA I belong to is cargo based and we don't fly into say, Chicago Midway...

When I do a new route or something the first time I always check to see if I have a payware version of the destination installed in FSX somewhere and if I don't I look to see if one is available and if not I come here and grab a freeware version.

Maybe a simple text file of the ICAO codes of my payware stuff in alphabetical order or something might be in order...

Yeah, I know that problem, too. Especially in those areas where I have mostly/only freeware aiports I lost track of them myself, sometimes, if I find some interesting looking free airports, I install them, and after having them installed, I don*t even remember it's name.

But with the payware airports, I try to vsit those, that I might forget more once in a while, just often enough to remember thei're there.

The funny thing is, something similar happened to me a few days ago with aircraft: When viewing my old screenshots, I found out that I've actually bought a Cessna with retractable gear from Carenado (a 182RG?), but I didn't even see her till then in my select aircraft menu.

First I have two folders, payware and freeware (don't know why I make a difference between them though...) and in there I simply have folders named according to the country. In those folders I then have a folder like 'KBOS - BOSTON' where i have the installation files and the serials. i also have an excel list where I have all the sceneries documented.

Actually I also have an excel list where I document in which order I install everything into the simulator.

Finally I placed most of the airports on google maps and created a kmz-file.

Best way? Don't know but it works for me!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

That's an interesting idea. I'll try that, too.

Cheers,

Flo

Maybe we need an addon to keep track of our addons then?

As far as "finding" aircraft though I once found out there is a limit to the number of aircraft that will show in the selection screen.

You can have as many as you want installed but only 250 (IIRC) will show up. I have since gotten a lot more picky about what aircraft I use and have trimmed many many GBs off my FSX install by leaving out all the aircraft I never really used including the default.

Maybe we need an addon to keep track of our addons then?

Great idea. :LMAO:

You can have as many as you want installed but only 250 will show up.

Maybe that's the problem, but anyways, I just cleaned up my virtual hangar, so there's a lot less of unused aircraft around, and there she was again.

I have everything put in an excel file, FSX settings, tweaks and addons. For every addon i have noted the complete name, manufacturer and version number, this way its easy to find out if a new version of a particular addon has been released. I also print out the invoice, and if needed note down the serialnr on it, of every purchase i make and store those in a map.

Use the spreadsheet of your choice if so inclined. I keep one with separate tabs for airports, aircraft, airlines, etc. Airports tab shows name, IATA/ICAO codes, publisher, version, and hyperlinks to the airport's Wiki entry and official home page. I also color-code their names by region so I can get a quick glimpse of regional groupings for flight planning. Aircraft tab groups by type (prop, jet, etc), publisher, version, pax/cargo weights, etc. And the airline tab shows who flies which aircraft types, hubs, IATA/ICAO codes and call sign, etc. Final tab tracks flights with airports across both axes and a simple color-code to show flights completed, planned, or range-limited. I'm a quant by training, so no big deal to be a little anal. ;-)

I use google docs spreadsheet to track all the detail, and then googlemaps to track all th elocations.

Just like Stephanovic I record on a spreadsheet where and when purchased, developer, serial number and version installed. If it's an airport I list which country it belongs in as well as any additional notes (eg "place below scenery x" or #don't forget latest version of Orbx library when finish all Orbx installs") - that helps me get everyting installed when starting from scratch. It also helps me to a sort based on developer or location so I can do installs in chunks.

I also use googlemaps and simply created a new map that had all my airport locations mapped out, as well as scenery areas indicated. I found that was the best way to help me think about what route I wanted to fly, and it helped me work out what other areas I wanted to poulate.

Cheers, Danny

Danny Hicks

Hello mr340,

I use Google Maps also, and have all my payware airports marked. It's easy to visually reference and gives me an idea of the distances involved between airports.

Chris Bremmer

I have a flash drive to back up all my installers. I have folders containing developer names and inside each developer folder I have folders with each ICAO. I'm amazed how much I've accumulated in 2 1/2 years. I just don't want to know how much I have paid. :)

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

First I have two folders, payware and freeware (don't know why I make a difference between them though...) and in there I simply have folders named according to the country. In those folders I then have a folder like 'KBOS - BOSTON' where i have the installation files and the serials. i also have an excel list where I have all the sceneries documented.

Actually I also have an excel list where I document in which order I install everything into the simulator.

Wawoooo i always wanted to do that placing most of the airports on google earth. But i don't know how to create a kmz-file. The reason for creating something like this in google earth i would say it is because before flying into an airport i can see how far the are from each other. Not like the last time i have never visit Ronald Reagan National Airport an i created such a short flight plan without even noticing from New York to Washington DC in a 757. I forgot which payware site i got it from . I think is latinvfr really can't remember . But if i could just create a map pinpointing all the payware scenery or airport that i have.

Ronald Reagan National Airport

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)