Sign in to follow this  
mr340

How do you keep track of all the payware airports you have ?

Hello mr340,

I use Google Maps also, and have all my payware airports marked. It's easy to visually reference and gives me an idea of the distances involved between airports.

Thanks i really want to try that with google maps. Now i will know how far away i am from the destination payware airport that i am flying into . Those are some great idea guys

Not sure it's the 'best' way, but I keep a list of saved flights with the airport name.

Thanks Tim, i have a list of saved flights but now what am going to do is look into my fsx addon scenery folder which i think most of the payware scenery goes into . An i will create a list of all the payware i have then set it up in google earth just as my fellow simmers said. :smile:

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

rm340,

it's very easy to create the kmz-files since you just save the set of places you created in google earth as a .kmz-file.

In the left list you have "My places" (I guess, I have a Swedish version myself). Right click on it and choose to create a folder. Personally I have named the folder as FS9 and another one as FSX. I then created sub-folders Europe, NA etc.

Then you start adding places. You can use the search function and enter eg Ronald Reagan airport and you will zoom there. To put a marker use ctrl+shift+P and give it an appropriate name. You can also choose another icon - personally I use the.... drumroll... aircraft marker. You can of course also just zoom in wherever you want on the map and put the marker there. As long as the marker has a yellow blinking rectangle around it, you can grab it and move it to pinpoint the position.

Once you've created a marker you will find it somewhere in the list on the left under "Places", depending on which folder you had active when you put the marker on the map. You can now just drag the saved marker to any other folder at your heart's consent.

Now, to create the kmz-file, just chose the topmost folder you created, head up to the Archive menu and and choose "Save" and "Save place as" and then you can choose the .kmz-format.

As I said, I have a Swedish Google Earth so I just guessed how some terms probably are translated.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

If I'm flying VFR, I have a list I write down on a post it note, so I can search for nearby airports in the GPS and fly to them.

If it's IFR I remember the airports, and search on flightaware for scheduled flights that use a departing and arriving airport I have paid for.

I mark then up on plan-g using the custom waypoint markers. Then use the range rings to get my to or from airport. Easy as!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Louise

London, UK

I mark then up on plan-g using the custom waypoint markers. Then use the range rings to get my to or from airport. Easy as!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks am sure going to try it right now . I will used this laptop for the google earth maping an stuff . An my desktop with FSX .So i think this will be very nice way to keep track of my payware scenery .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Every time I purchase an addon.. scenery or aircraft or whatever, I forward the purchase e-mail to myself with additional information about the CCard used or Paypay info, Srl#, activation code etc and then save that e-mail to a separate e-mail folder called "Online FSX addon purchase".

Then I save that e-mail in txt file along with the downloaded file in folders titiled /FSX_Purchase/DVD1, DVD2, DVD3 .....

Such that each DVDx folder does not exceed the size of a DVD-R capacity. I have slowly backed up into DVDs.... after a while I stopped making these DVDs..but I have these folders copied over into seperate HD's on separate PCs for backups instead.

Its easier to purchase HDs that I could use one of those Docking stations where I can swap in and swap out SATA HDs.

:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I used to do it with my AVSIM Forum sig ( :blink: ) but now I just organize them in my software key file. I keep all the downloads of my purchases on a portable hard drive (or 2) and on that drive I have a text file with all my keys and software listed. It's a pain but has saved my the couple of times I have had to rebuild.

Jim Atkins

That's an interesting idea. I'll try that, too.

Cheers,

Flo

I do this as well, google earth is my first step in flight planning even if I'm going to use FSBuild I checkout where I want to fly first.

I also keep a document with a list split into regions where I can write notes about each one. For example some packages come with several airports so I list the codes and details etc. But this doc won't be needed anymore once I copy all the details into google earth

That's an interesting idea. I'll try that, too.

Cheers,

Flo

I do the same thing. If you do a Google search, there are a couple .kmz/.kml files out there that have most of the World's airports organized by country and listed by ICAO code. When I install a new scenery, I activate it in GE. It works well and the weather overlay is a plus. Also, if you are trying to get a rough idea of flight times, you can measure distance in GE.

This pic has a mixture of freeware and payware. I could symbolize them based on free/pay but I have not gotten around to it.

GE.jpg

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Not sure it's the 'best' way, but I keep a list of saved flights with the airport name.

I did the same and it also works for scenerys. If you are careful with naming you can even get the saves sorted by type, region etc.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I do this as well, google earth is my first step in flight planning even if I'm going to use FSBuild I checkout where I want to fly first.

I also keep a document with a list split into regions where I can write notes about each one. For example some packages come with several airports so I list the codes and details etc. But this doc won't be needed anymore once I copy all the details into google earth

Thanks so do you mark different places in google earth with airport codes to keep track of the payware scenery or airport you have ?

I do the same thing. If you do a Google search, there are a couple .kmz/.kml files out there that have most of the World's airports organized by country and listed by ICAO code. When I install a new scenery, I activate it in GE. It works well and the weather overlay is a plus. Also, if you are trying to get a rough idea of flight times, you can measure distance in GE.

This pic has a mixture of freeware and payware. I could symbolize them based on free/pay but I have not gotten around to it.

GE.jpg

Amazing!! Jeff i like that it also has the name of the country along side with the airport code . Am downloading google earth right now to organize all my payware scenery an airport. Thanks everyone for your helpful reply's .

Mr Leny

Hi Mr Leny,

I do mark them in google earth, I started with the excellent KMZs provided by OzX and ORBX, these cover all of Australia/NZ. These have aerodrome information, runway lengths etc in them as well.

Colour coded ORBX airports, OzX are another colour, Ant's airports another colour, and overseas airports another colour still. I have another colour for favourite AFCAD major international airports as well (e.g. Ray Smith's AFCADs).

I haven't finished adding all my overseas scenery yet, so I'm still working partly from my text file but one day I'll do it.. I hope before I get more scenery :)

The other thing I do - is I keep charts in a chart folder hierarchy for every airport I own as well. I've decided not to update AIRAC data any more and stick close to July 2012, then I don't need to update my charts ever again. Some countries it takes alot of digging to find charts, and it gets time consuming.

Keeping charts is another way to never forget where you should fly:

mycharts.jpg

CHeers

Hi Mr Leny,

I do mark them in google earth, I started with the excellent KMZs provided by OzX and ORBX, these cover all of Australia/NZ. These have aerodrome information, runway lengths etc in them as well.

Colour coded ORBX airports, OzX are another colour, Ant's airports another colour, and overseas airports another colour still. I have another colour for favourite AFCAD major international airports as well (e.g. Ray Smith's AFCADs).

I haven't finished adding all my overseas scenery yet, so I'm still working partly from my text file but one day I'll do it.. I hope before I get more scenery :)

The other thing I do - is I keep charts in a chart folder hierarchy for every airport I own as well. I've decided not to update AIRAC data any more and stick close to July 2012, then I don't need to update my charts ever again. Some countries it takes alot of digging to find charts, and it gets time consuming.

Keeping charts is another way to never forget where you should fly:

CHeers

Impressive this really helps when it comes to flight planning specially creating several flight plan from different payware scenery an airport. With these tips i can now tell how faraway each payware airport are from each other . An the name of the country . Am going to be honest sometime i purchase scenery or airport an i don't even know the name of the country that host the amazing scenery . But using these tips it really will make a difference when it comes to better flight planning .

Thanks a lot Dan.W

Mr Leny

I am glad I don't buy airports anymore: apparently this saves me a lot of trouble! :wink: However, when I still was into Orbx airports I made a simple map using Google with all the airports I owned on it. I had it printed out beside my computer so I could easily plan flights between the airports.

But as I said, payware airports don't interest me anymore. Way too expensive, way too heavy on the system and it spoils the rest of the scenery because the rest never looks as good as that payware airport... :wink: Only flying between addon airports became very boring and I only visited 5% of the Orbx regions I own.

BTW If you own that many airports which you haven't even visited yet... shouldn't you stop buying them, at least for a while...?

BTW If you own that many airports which you haven't even visited yet... shouldn't you stop buying them, at least for a while...?

Never-ending variety = Boredom avoidance. :mellow:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5