Sign in to follow this  
19dcavscout

Poor Performance and I cannot figure out why

The title pretty much sums it up. I have a modern system (Ill give the complete specs below) and I honestly think I should be running better than I am. I have tried several help guides, including doing the online FSX.cfg configurator to no avail. I have been running ok in DX9 (24-28fps with frames locked in the PNW area (ORBX)), but performance has dropped a bit more once I made the switch to DX10 (14-19 in the same area with same settings). I also cannot seem to get the AA working to anywhere near the screenshots that I have seen. Any ideas?

CPU: i7 2700k

VC: EVGA 560ti SC 1GB VRAM

MEM: 16GB

HHD: 2TB 7200 RPM

I can give more but I don't think its too necessary. Also I am using the latest Nvidia drivers that are certified, might try some beta drivers tonight just to see if it helps at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nick

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Hang on and you will no doubt get some help. I'm new to DX10 but have had good success. I'll not be moving back to DX9.

You certainly seem to have enough computer muscle. Post your fsx.cfg. The best AA for me using a GTX 460 SC is 8x Grid Supersampling and nothing else.

DX10 is quite different than DX9--tweaks that work in one won't necessarily work in the other. It's worth the effort, though.

Randall-

Did you try the settings in Paul's guide pinned at the top. He has the FSX settings and video card settings. Many of us have our computers overclocked more than 4.0. You could easily move yours up to 4.4. The bojote fsx configurator does not work for everyone and sometimes is a hindrance. Most of the settings were meant for systems that are not as powerful as yours. I would get rid of them and use our settings instead. For your system, I think the Bufferpool settings provided by PaulJ in the document above and the highmemfix=1 tweak is all that is needed for your system. Your display settings should be exactly as what we have provided here. Even with these settings you're not going to see high fps in all instances. There are a lot of factors to consider such as weather, time of day, scenery loaded and aircraft. If you're not getting great fps after following Paul's guidance in the how to document, then you need to turn off autogen during the flight. That will improve things considerably during the flight. You can turn it back on if you want when taking off and landing.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Nick,

I just tried a flight from Portland to Seattle and got anywhere between 11 and 31 fps. Mostly my fps were in the upper 20's, it just depended on the view. I tried to raise my fps by turning off autogen but I saw absolutely no difference in the frames with it off. So I turned it back on to max and still no difference. So my comment above about turning off autogen while flying appears to be in error. I had a smooth flight throughout. This is a frames intensive area, especially around Seattle but I'm always happy to see my frames stay above 15 which I think is suitable considering I'm flying the PMDG737NGX and with real weather turned on. Whenever I'm in the cockpit, the frames drop into the teens. In wing view and they are in the upper 20's. This is good for this area of the world!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you all for the quick replies. My fsx.cfg is such a mess I think I am going to just have to scrap it and redo it. As for overcocking, would be interested if I knew exactly where to look and how to do it. I think my motherboard supports it.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

According to your PC Spec's it appears to be overclocked to 4.0 (Processor Speed). Did you have it done commercially when you bought the computer? Your motherboard and CPU definitely support overclocking. Right now I don't think it's going to make much difference between 4 and 4.4 as I had about the same frames you had with mine overclocked at 4.4.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

So I reset my FSX.cfg (which is what I should have done in the first place) and redid all my tweaks and it looks and runs beautiful now. Thank you for your help. Now I just need to tweak the AA a little more to get rid of some of the last jaggies and I will be good. And also to start and research some more on overclocking the processor. Thank you again for your help.

Nick

Nick Hatchel

Pretty similar boards:

4.6 gig

https://dl.dropbox.c....6 settings.pdf

4.8 gig

https://dl.dropbox.c....8 settings.pdf

4.9 gig

https://dl.dropbox.c....9 settings.pdf

I suspect you'll be quite happy at 4.6 for a while, Nick.

Good site:-

http://www.overclock.net/t/1012874/the-official-asus-p8p67-p8z68-p8z68-gen3-series-owners-club

Asus has a guide, too, but it's not where I thought it was - I have to go digging.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Nick,

I just tried a flight from Portland to Seattle and got anywhere between 11 and 31 fps. Mostly my fps were in the upper 20's, it just depended on the view. I tried to raise my fps by turning off autogen but I saw absolutely no difference in the frames with it off. So I turned it back on to max and still no difference. So my comment above about turning off autogen while flying appears to be in error. I had a smooth flight throughout. This is a frames intensive area, especially around Seattle but I'm always happy to see my frames stay above 15 which I think is suitable considering I'm flying the PMDG737NGX and with real weather turned on. Whenever I'm in the cockpit, the frames drop into the teens. In wing view and they are in the upper 20's. This is good for this area of the world!

Best regards,

Jim

Seriously? An overclocked Haswell CPU with a GTX780 and still having fps in the low 20's flying KPDX to KSEA in the PMDG birds? Sigh.... P3D v 2.0 ... I hope this changes that.

I hope this is on that Dell 30" Ultra!

Charles.

Nick,

Best regards,

Jim

hmm i always have good performance in Seattle array with PNW flying from FSDT CYVR or Flightbeam KSFO. PMDG 777 and the NGX in the lower 30`s upper 20´s all the time. Where exactly is this fps killer in this area? I have not seen it yet.

I do not have any freeware airports installed in this area btw.

PC spec almost the same as you

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png