Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 9/6 Sandy Beach - Molokai

This one shouldn't be too hard to find. Good job for the Icon.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

This one I had already. But I never did find the one for 9-5. Criss crossed with in the 2 mile area 3 different times, nothing poped. Not sure it was there.

This one I had already. But I never did find the one for 9-5. Criss crossed with in the 2 mile area 3 different times, nothing poped. Not sure it was there.

I was also not able to collect the Kaaawa Valley AIOD. I went after it in Free Flight 1st. and ran a search patter and was not able to come up with it, 2nd. I attemped to go at it in the hunt, again could not come up with it. Next I switched over to the Icon and landed at the beach, got out and went walkabout to the top of the mountain where I think that the AOTD should have been located. I then shut down Flight at that point. The next day when I started Flight I was still on top of the mountain so walked backed down to where I had left the Icon and wouldn't you know it someone had stollen it. So out of curiosity I decided to see if I could walk on water, and I could so I walked out about 10 yards brought up my hanger selected the Icon and was back in plane again.

Here is a SS from the top of the Mt. looking back to where I had parked the plane.

TopofMt.jpg

And this is a shot the next day when I walked back to where I had left the plane.

Missingplane.jpg

I think the Ka'a'awa Valley Aerocache was somewhere around here at the top of a peak:

Best regards.

Luis

I think that if you had gotten closer to the peak the aerocache marker might have popped up. The description said "Above a peak in this valley". That's why I didn't even worry about the valley or beach. I picked a prominent peak, headed straight for it, and when I got pretty close the marker popped up and I got the cache.

Luis, your selection of the peak might be correct but I thought it was the one to the left. Oh well, got it anyway. I did do a bit of internet research prior though and had a pretty good idea of which peak I would go to and it turned out to be the right one.

As for the sandy beach cache, I had collected it too back in April.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I think the Ka'a'awa Valley Aerocache was somewhere around here at the top of a peak:

Best regards.

Luis

Thanks for that info. Luis,

I flew along all of the ridges with in 50 ft. and I don't know why I did not locate it? The hill I walked up is the tallest one directly to the left of the point of your arrow, and from there I tried looking all around for it. Maybe the next time it comes around (if it does) I'll have better luck.

The location you have indicated is in my first screen shot.

Just got the Sandy Beach aerocache. I wasted so much time searching in Maui instead of Molokai. <_< I need to be more careful.

I'm not really sure where exactly the darn thing was, but it was somewhere around there. :lol:

I too have had a couple of problems with Aerocaches on Oahu. I think that there are 3 ways to start a Hunt now:

1. Don't start the Hunt at all, but go to Free Flight, take off from an airport, and search without the Sensor. I always do it this way.

2. Start the Hunt and take off from an airport. I thought that this was new either after a bug fix or after the release of Alaska, but one of the Team members said it had always been possible. My mistake, because I specifically asked for this possibility during the beta, arguing that there is more satisfaction if we can take off and land, instead of ...

3. The third possibility - start the Hunt and begin the flight in the air. Ugh! :huh:

So, in Oahu, the last few times, I use option 1 and never, never find the Aerocache. Even starting the Hunt and taking off from the airport = no Aerocache.

Only by starting the Hunt and beginning in the air have I consistently found (or even seen) the Aerocache.

So, it is either my bad navigational skills (very possible, as the instructor in Flight is always telling me this :lol: ) or Loki is missing some of the options when loading the Aerocache. I bet it's just me, though.

Best regards.

Luis

Luis - I always start the aerocache hunt from the runway and since I have the HUD turned off, I don't have the sensor either. I haven't had any problems finding them this way, however, I certainly wouldn't imply that your navigation skills are bad though. That's the instructor's job. :lol:

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

Hi,

I've never experienced problems locating aerocaches in free flight. When I first installed Flight I stumbled onto some of the default aerocaches while exploring. Since then when going after an aerocache I choose the start location, aircraft, time and weather under which I'd like to hunt. No problems locating the caches. Here's some pictures from the Kaaawa (Valley?) aerocache.

8092012_9_4_13_5_11_271.jpg

6182012_9_4_13_8_23_80.jpg

4682012_9_4_13_8_30_947.jpg

6312012_9_4_13_8_50_49.jpg

8572012_9_4_13_9_15_773.jpg

7482012_9_4_13_9_49_302.jpg

3582012_9_4_13_11_26_925.jpg

5112012_9_4_13_11_30_466.jpg

Jim F.

Thanks for the nice set of screen shots jandjfrench.

In your first shot right under your top wing is the tree that stands out on top of the hill that I walked up to. So as to why the aerocache did not show up, is beyond me. I had suspected that would be the most likely place that they would have put it.

Maybe what I should have done was shut it down and restarted it again, but I did not think about that at that time.

I use to start by bring up the Aerocache Hunt page and read what info. they gave us and then go down and hit the start hunt button. This would put me in the air over the top of the closest airport to the aerocache, usually. When I used the start hunt button on this one, it placed me on the ground at Kaneohe Bay MCAF (PHNG). From there I flew stright to the top of that hill then started a search along all the ridges in the area.

On a free flight once, I happened upon one of the aerocache in Hawaii and collected it. This started me on a quest of running a search patteren over all of the Islands and collected almost all of aerocache in the list. Except for two high altitude ones; I was able to pick up one high altitude with the Redtail when I got it. From that point on I would go to the Aerocache Hunt page and read what information that was there, then go to free flight and hunt it up. I have only had to cheat on one so far and it was on one of the waterfall. I crash several times trying get it. So on the last attempt as soon as it registered I hit the map button, backed the plane up a little (very little), hit the map button and pulled out of crashing. lol

Since then I have only used the start hunt button twice, once on the Cone Island aerocache which could not be collected either way, and on this one.

In collecting aerocache now, I take off from the airport that I've have landed at last and land at the closes airport that I can refuel at, and if it is a long flight I will use Redtail to travel the distence. :rolleyes: