Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

Beta 11 is now yawing instead of banking!

I find in beta 11 the planes are now doing a much more realistic yaw instead of banking hard left on takeoff. Before beta 11, I found most of the planes would start banking immediately after leaving the ground, some more so than others but almost all of them would exhibit this behavior, which prompted me to map rocker switches 3 and 4 on my CH Flight Sim Yoke to aileron control with button 2 set for aileron center. I did this because no amount of rudder input would keep the plane from banking. Now I find even the default Cessna 172 SP will hold level with the proper amount of right rudder input. This prompted me to map switches 3 and 4 to the rudder trim, and with just a bit of rudder trim the plane will hold level. It doesn't take very much rudder trim to hold the plane and keep it from banking. I find also when reducing power the plane doesn't start banking right near as much, just a bit of left trim will compensate. Even the default planes seem much more accurate in their modeling. I've tried this with the Cessna, the Stearman does, much better too, it actually acts like a taildragger instead of a wild maniac when you touch back down; :P and MortonM Piper Archer III is postively a double delight. I've tested with the Cessna, the Carenado F33A, (really shines in this beta), in fact the F33A is what prompted me to experiment, it didn't bank nearly as much as it did in other version of X-Plane 10 or even X-Plane 9 for that matter, so that is what got me to thinking. Next is the LES DC3, (although it never was bad about banking).

I hope someone else will try this, let me know if it really is improved or,,,,,am I all wet? :Idea:

Having more fun than the law will allow with this sim. Four%20Leaf%20Clover.gif

Thx for the note Donald. I'll try it tomorrow morning (it's now 21:17 here in Lisbon and computer time goes to wify.....) :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just fired up XP10 to check this on my Saab flight model.

Certainly seems like it's true. Have to go back and change quite a few areas of the flight model.

Happy days!

I wonder why they changed it without saying anything.

Alexis Mefano

Well, mine still bank left, although maybe a little less than on previous versions (?) I can't really tell.because I got accustomed to use the aileron trim... Regarding yaw, on some models I still find the need for much more yaw due to assymetric spiralling slipstream hitting the tail...

But it's most probably going to get addressed in the future!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Well, mine still bank left, although maybe a little less than on previous versions (?) I can't really tell.because I got accustomed to use the aileron trim... Regarding yaw, on some models I still find the need for much more yaw due to assymetric spiralling slipstream hitting the tail...

But it's most probably going to get addressed in the future!

Try mapping the rudder trim to preferably a rocker switch, if you have one, instead of using the aileron trim. See if that doesn't work better. Of course it may take some getting used to, I know from using the aileron trim so much. Of course you can just use the rudder input, but that gets really tiring, pretty quickly with these controls not having any real air deflection on them.

Try mapping the rudder trim to preferably a rocker switch

Yes, it's true rudder trim works fine to compensate these effects. I don't know if this was also true with previous versions of either X-Plane9 or 10...

It's also true that the yaw is much more evident when we use the HUD cue instead of the "ball" on the turn-coordinator. While the cue in the HUD clearly shows yaw, sometimes the ball barely moved from what we believe to be it's center position.

I started doing all my tests using the HUD :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I've never used the HUD, guess I should try it out.

One plane that does have a nice slip to the ball effect is MortonM's Piper Archer III. It is the only plane that I fly that doesn't have a 3D cockpit, but this one is a 2D cockpit that I do fly regularly because it is so good. I have several hundred hours in a Piper Archer III and when I fly this one, it is soooo familiar. One can download it at the org if you haven't already done so. For anyone else to try, go to the Org's website, click downloads and look at the Most Highly Watched section scroll around you'll find it.

For anyone else to try, go to the Org's website, click downloads and look at the Most Highly Watched section scroll around you'll find it.

Didn't know about that one! Thank you - I will certainly try it ASAP!

Also, before starting to test X-Plane10 I used to read many coments from people saying X-Plane10 didn't have adverse yaw.... Well... all I can say is - do they no what they're talking about? It has, and as a matter of fact I do think that all of those I have tested present what I believe to be consistent amounts of it, the K21 being the one I can judge based on RL experience, and does it perfectly!

Main Simulation Rig:

Didn't know about that one! Thank you - I will certainly try it ASAP!

Jcomm one thing about this plane, it appears that you are sitting in the middle of the plane instead of on the left side, to compensate for this, (if indeed your plane appears this way), go into the settings page and change the lateral offset setting from 0.00 to 0.15 to0.20. The 0.20 works best in my monitor. The lateral offset box is found near the bottom center of the page.

Donald,

now I remember that some months ago, when I approached X-Plane10 for the 1st time, someone suggested me that ArcherIII as a good example of what can be achieved with X-Plane. I did download and tested it, but then I got involved with MS FLIGHT...

I just re-downloaded and made a small flight from Alverca Airbase do Cascais aerodrome (LPAR --> LPCS) and it was a GREAT experience! Thanks again for your suggestion - what an add-on!!! And free!!!! :-)

Main Simulation Rig: