Sign in to follow this  
freded

737NGX will not climb or achieve FMC settings

NGX is equipped with FMC 10.8A. This means you can arm VNAV on any takeoff. Before take off you can freely set V2, after passing 400' AGL VNAV will set V2+20, after acceleration altitude it will set properate speeds for flap retraction.

Maybe you are using older one and things are different there.

When you get to the white carrot on the speed tape on the left side of the PFD, go from flaps 5 to flaps 1. At the pink 'carrot', raise flaps.

I'm not a real pilot, but FCTM suggest another tehnique.

We have 10.8 at American but aren't allowed to engage VNAV until at least 1000AFL. And I don't recall that it could be armed on the ground but I've never used it that way. Good point.

Procedures vary from carrier to carrier. We use a 'stock' Boeing QRH, but have our own normal procedures - to a degree our operating manual matches Boeing's from what I've heard. Haven't compared the two though.

We have 10.8 at American but aren't allowed to engage VNAV until at least 1000AFL. And I don't recall that it could be armed on the ground but I've never used it that way. Good point.

Procedures vary from carrier to carrier. We use a 'stock' Boeing QRH, but have our own normal procedures - to a degree our operating manual matches Boeing's from what I've heard. Haven't compared the two though.

AA uses U10.8 and not U10.8a? I thought U10.8 was dead.

Matt Cee

We still use 10.8. Last update was 10.6, and we just finished replacing that with 10.8 this year. It took maintenance months to complete the changeover for some reason...

I imagine some FMS update is coming soon - we are going to implement 25 tkof flaps at selected airports, and that option needs to be incorporated.

it happened to me some time ago, didn't know that could be a fsuipc issue so i uninstall the entire flight simulator and it fixed the problem. It was madness, i pitched down the plane and the airspeed was slowing. It wasn't able to go further 200KIAS being lighter than the air with full trust.

We still use 10.8. Last update was 10.6, and we just finished replacing that with 10.8 this year. It took maintenance months to complete the changeover for some reason...

That is strange - after 10.8 was sent into operation, it was found that it is buggy, Boeing started putting 10.7 again, and apparently they issued a service bulletin for airlines to do the same, until 10.8A is available. Are you sure you are not on 10.8A?

Guest BeaverDriver

'FlightWatch',

Here's the latest screenie from my next attempt:_

be98b8d6.jpg

And here are the shots of the FMC pages you asked for:-

37dc89c5.jpg

ad85eff5.jpg

ee800d0e.jpg

The Takeoff Ref page is not, of course, a shot of the setting before I started the flight. In fact I added Flaps 5 before taking this screenie to simulate the original. Trim was originally 5.04 and VR 142.

Hope you can tell what's going on from all this...

BTW, I did a complete uninstall/re-install yesterday, so can't think why it should be already 'corrupted'.

Mark

Freded, did you ever click (twice each) your Vspeeds on the right side at eack of the respective LSK's (bottom screen shot) to load your V speeds before taking off? You'd then set your V2 in the Speed window prior to taking off. Also make sure you've "Excecuted" all the steps prior to this part. But as the bottom screen shows, you're V speeds are given, but not entered into the system. That may be the reason for the FMC Caution lamp, but I'm not sure about that.

That is strange - after 10.8 was sent into operation, it was found that it is buggy, Boeing started putting 10.7 again, and apparently they issued a service bulletin for airlines to do the same, until 10.8A is available. Are you sure you are not on 10.8A?

Yeah, I didn't think people were even allowed to use U10.8.

Matt Cee

I'm pretty sure none of our airplanes have U10.8a; we use a custom set specifically for our -800s (the only variation we have) based on Boeing's (or whatever contractor develops it). That's what I've heard from the shoolhouse, couldn't find it written anywhere. If I fly in the next few days I'll take a picture of the ident page and post it.

Seems to be going a bit off-topic in places here!

Mark

Did you actually load your speeds and execute as asked as your FMC screenshot does not indicate this? Have you carried out the actions suggested by Ryan (PMDG Support)?

Your ISA DEV does not match that in the tutorial. Tutorial screenie shows 32F. Did you set OAT as required in the tutorial (see screenshot on page 41 of tutorial and info on page 42)? This should automatically set TO-2 and CLB-1. Screenshot on page 43 shows how it should look once done.

I also note you have an FMC warning light showing - suggesting to me that something is not fully configured in the FMC.

Happy to catch up on Skype and walk this through with you if it helps, just let me know with reply/PM.

Seems to be going a bit off-topic in places here!

Mark

Did you actually load your speeds and execute as asked as your FMC screenshot does not indicate this? Have you carried out the actions suggested by Ryan (PMDG Support)?

Your ISA DEV does not match that in the tutorial. Tutorial screenie shows 32F. Did you set OAT as required in the tutorial (see screenshot on page 41 of tutorial and info on page 42)? This should automatically set TO-2 and CLB-1. Screenshot on page 43 shows how it should look once done.

I also note you have an FMC warning light showing - suggesting to me that something is not fully configured in the FMC.

Happy to catch up on Skype and walk this through with you if it helps, just let me know with reply/PM.

I think the FMC light is due to the Unable Next Alt.

Matt Cee

Ryan,

I have closed FSX, deleted FSUIPC.INI (making a back up of it, too) re-opened FSX and, having reconfigured the FMC for the Tut. 1 flight, am about to takeoff...

I checked that FSUIPC has rebuilt its INI file - the new one is much smaller!

So I'll report back when I see what happens with the flight. :-)

Mark

I find the FMC execute light in the sim very difficult to see and easy to miss when programming - could just be my system, or perhaps it really needs to be brighter. It's easy enough to see in the real airplane, even in bright light.

Ryan,

Well, that FSUIPC.INI was obviously corrupt! The present flight is now at cruising alt and speed and approaching REDFA on the route. So, barring any screw-ups by yours truly :rolleyes: , I should be able to complete the flight. I'll e-mail you both versions of the INI file, as requested.

One point I should mention is that while setting up the FMC, I noticed on the PERF INIT page 1 that the GW (at LSK 1L) was showing as '168.0' instead of the '138.0' in Tut.1. As a result of this, TRIP/CRZ ALT (at LSK 1R) showed 'FL250/FL250' instead of 'FL301/FL250'. I decided to try correcting this (it had been the same error on previous flights but I had ignored it...) by line-selecting '138.0' into LSK 1L. This was accepted by the FMC.

Another unexpected - to me ^_^ - message from the FMC was that, during the climb phase on LNAV & VNAV, a message appeared at the bottom of the screen telling me to reset the selected altitude. I had been under the impression that VNAV would do this automatically but apparently not. So I changed the value of 'Altitude' on the MCP to the next value on the LEGS page. Nothing happened until I clicked on LVL CHG and then VNAV, as soon as a positive climb was shown. Re-reading Tut.1, I now see that I should have expected this and used ALT INTV instead.

One last point, while I have your ear: the speed tape in the PFD is 'jumping', by which I mean the tape itself is flicking up and back irregularly without affecting the indicated speed. Is this normal or do I have a video fault?

Thanks for your help!

Mark