Sign in to follow this  
freded

737NGX will not climb or achieve FMC settings

If you're using FSUIPC open from the addon menu and just click okay. It's a known fault and this reloads the FSUIPC file inits. If you look at the AC in spot view I'll bet it's flying in a nose down attitude.

Good luck.

Guest BeaverDriver

Ryan,

Well, that FSUIPC.INI was obviously corrupt! The present flight is now at cruising alt and speed and approaching REDFA on the route. So, barring any screw-ups by yours truly :rolleyes: , I should be able to complete the flight. I'll e-mail you both versions of the INI file, as requested.

One point I should mention is that while setting up the FMC, I noticed on the PERF INIT page 1 that the GW (at LSK 1L) was showing as '168.0' instead of the '138.0' in Tut.1. As a result of this, TRIP/CRZ ALT (at LSK 1R) showed 'FL250/FL250' instead of 'FL301/FL250'. I decided to try correcting this (it had been the same error on previous flights but I had ignored it...) by line-selecting '138.0' into LSK 1L. This was accepted by the FMC.

Another unexpected - to me ^_^ - message from the FMC was that, during the climb phase on LNAV & VNAV, a message appeared at the bottom of the screen telling me to reset the selected altitude. I had been under the impression that VNAV would do this automatically but apparently not. So I changed the value of 'Altitude' on the MCP to the next value on the LEGS page. Nothing happened until I clicked on LVL CHG and then VNAV, as soon as a positive climb was shown. Re-reading Tut.1, I now see that I should have expected this and used ALT INTV instead.

One last point, while I have your ear: the speed tape in the PFD is 'jumping', by which I mean the tape itself is flicking up and back irregularly without affecting the indicated speed. Is this normal or do I have a video fault?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Hey Mark,

Sounds like things are getting sorted out somewhat, which is good. If I might (very respectfully) recommend reading a little closer the tutorial through completely first and then going flying with it :smile:. Most of what you are seeing is explained in there, and in the various other manuals.

On the GW issue, are you sure you're not seeing the GW / MAX GW (not sure of the exact wording there as I'm not at home at the moment)? GW would be the gross weight of the aircraft for the flight, and MAX GW is the maximum GW of the aircraft allowed (which you won't be at for this flight). Have another look at that to be sure. You need to go with what the GW for your flight is, and if it's higher than expected, double check your fuel load.

On the FMC requesting you reset your MCP altitude, that is correct. Once the Alt Alert horn goes off (or for sure when you actually level at an altitude that you have set in the "window"), your airplane will maintain that altitude until you "release it", regardless of what your flight plan calls for. This is mainly because ATC may not give you the same altitudes as those listed in the STAR's or SID's and you want to be able to override those without abandoning your FMC flight plan. Once you get to the point where ATC has cleared you (and they will tell you in the Tutorial) to a higher altitude, you then roll your altitude setting in the "window" to the new altitude and the FMC will go ahead and take you there. If you've been holding that altitude (i.e. level at 5,000), then you may have to set the altitude and then hit FL CH or SP INV in order to let the FMC know that it's ok to go ahead and climb now. If you make the change as soon as you see the message, you shouldn't have to hit the FL CH or SP INV buttons (one, not both) at all. Conversely on descent, you will get the message (typically ahead of your T/D point) to "Reset MCP Altitude". Unless you are using ATC, you would look at the next waypoint's altitude in the FMC window and roll your altitude pre-selector (in the Window) down to that value, and when you reach T/D, the FMC will start the airplane down. Again, that's all explained in Tutorial 1.

Insofar as the speedtape "jumping" you are likely in some turbulence. All your pitot-static instruments will be affected by that IRL, but in the 737 you'll notice it most on the airspeed indicator - tape or dial. As long as it's not ridiculous (like 40 or 50 kts), ignore it. You will fly out of the turbulence at some point, and if it is with you right to the airport and you are manually flying, just average out the readings around your Vref + 5 (some like to carry more speed on close final in rough weather but Boeing still recommends the 5 kts only).

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. Like I say, I'd read very carefully a couple of times that Tutorial 1 when sitting on the ground. It's pretty hard trying to keep up when actually flying unless you sort of know ahead of time what's coming. Good luck with that and have fun :smile:

Hi Rick,

Your tip about FSUIPC is very helpful. I had no idea it was "known fault"! How often does this need to be done?

Ryan asked me to delete FSUIPC.INI and let it be remade. This sorted out my problem...

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Glenn,

Many thanks for your reply.

I certainly DID read the Tutorial closely - I even selected passages and printed them so I had a readily available source to refer to during the set-up and flight. :-)

I'm pretty certain I didn't confuse GW with MAX GW, as I compared the Tut. screen shot with my setting of the FMC and the difference was in the GW.

As far as resetting the MCP altitude, I think I now understand that process - both for climbing and descending. Although I did have a serious problem when trying to descend to Schiphol: the A/T did not change the readout in the EICAS Engine window from CRZ to DESC. Consequently the throttles remained at the CRZ setting and in spite of deploying the SPD BRK (as requested by the FMC) it was impossible to descend fast enough. Then the FMC said "Descent point unachievable" - or words to that effect, so I performed a missed approach, circled, used Flight Planner to make a plan and used ATC's directions to make another approach. This worked and I was able to intercept the localiser and GS and made a successful CAT II (?) landing. Whew!

So I still don't know why the A/T wouldn't change to its 'descend' setting and allow the engines to spool down. Any ideas? I had been careful to "RESET MCP ALTITUDE" to the suggested 2000 ft when indicated and the vertical path indicator appeared on the ND, so why didn't the throttles 'RETARD'?

I think the 'speedtape jumping' was due to some bug in my computer as there shouldn't have been any turbulence.

I'll have another go at Tutorial 1 when time is available. Perhaps this time I'll get everything right! :-)

Thanks again for you input - it's very welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest BeaverDriver

Yeah, sounds like you might have something internal going on there. That's a tough one, as it should have worked ok from what you are saying. It is a very complex system and maybe there are some occasional kinks in it. I've not had any issues myself at this point (other than self induced :rolleyes: ) so I don't know what to say. Stay with it and things may work themselves out in the long run.

Good luck with that :smile:

Delete your FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini file and let it rebuild - this happens when something corrupts in there (we haven't determined exactly what yet). Assuming it fixes it, could you mail me the bad ini file too - rmaziarz@precisionmanuals.com

Should we not use the fsuipc for our controllers and instead run the yoke and throttle thru FSX?? im having the same problem with the speed /climb issue

i have all my controllers thru the fsuipc

John C

I know in the NGX Introductory pdf it recommended that you dont calibrate using FSUIPC but i didnt know if that changed with the last couple service packs

John C

Hi Glenn,

Many thanks for your reply.

I certainly DID read the Tutorial closely - I even selected passages and printed them so I had a readily available source to refer to during the set-up and flight. :-)

I'm pretty certain I didn't confuse GW with MAX GW, as I compared the Tut. screen shot with my setting of the FMC and the difference was in the GW.

As far as resetting the MCP altitude, I think I now understand that process - both for climbing and descending. Although I did have a serious problem when trying to descend to Schiphol: the A/T did not change the readout in the EICAS Engine window from CRZ to DESC. Consequently the throttles remained at the CRZ setting and in spite of deploying the SPD BRK (as requested by the FMC) it was impossible to descend fast enough. Then the FMC said "Descent point unachievable" - or words to that effect, so I performed a missed approach, circled, used Flight Planner to make a plan and used ATC's directions to make another approach. This worked and I was able to intercept the localiser and GS and made a successful CAT II (?) landing. Whew!

So I still don't know why the A/T wouldn't change to its 'descend' setting and allow the engines to spool down. Any ideas? I had been careful to "RESET MCP ALTITUDE" to the suggested 2000 ft when indicated and the vertical path indicator appeared on the ND, so why didn't the throttles 'RETARD'?

I think the 'speedtape jumping' was due to some bug in my computer as there shouldn't have been any turbulence.

I'll have another go at Tutorial 1 when time is available. Perhaps this time I'll get everything right! :-)

Thanks again for you input - it's very welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

I think you might be confusing the N1 limits with the FMA. The N1 limit just tells you the max power the engine will give. The FMA tells you what the autopilot or you are getting for guidance.

If you don't have the throttle settings correct for the sim, then even though the sim thinks its trying to give you idle thrust for the descent, your hardware might be overriding the sim. It might be stuck on takeoff power still!

Try watching for those gotchas on your next flight.

Matt Cee