Sign in to follow this  
GDex

FSX installation in C:\ drive

I just got a new computer, running Win 7 64-bits. As suggested in the NGX Introduction, I tried to install FSX directly in the C:\ folder as opposed to the default Program Files (x86) folder; however the installer would not let me do it; when I clicked on the Browse button and navigated to the C:\ level, it was grayed out.

Prior to running the setup file, I deactivated my anti-virus, went into the setup.exe file on the DVD and changed the privilege level to run as an administrator. I also may have changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2, but not sure if I did. I did that for some other programs, but don’t remember if I did for FSX or not.

So, what did I do wrong to get the C:\ level was grayed out? How do I make it available?

Secondly, is it really worth it? In my previous computer (Win 7 32-bits), it was installed in the default folder and I never had any problems.

Was it the root "C:/" or did you try "C:/FSX" (or something like that)? It's been a while since I installed and I do remember being a little awkward. Maybe when you change from default you have to specify the name of the folder as well as the drive. Maybe naming it "C:/FSX/" or something to that effect.

Answer to your second question is "yes" put it outside of the default-especially if you eventually want to run add-on software without complication.

Jim Atkins

You will need to create a separate folder on your C drive. I created a folder called "FSX", and point the FSX installer to that folder. You will not get the option to install to a different folder other than "Program Files" unless you do this. Sorry Jim, I think you said the same thing. :) C:\FSX

Using the disk as an installtion folder would be really nice but unfortunately is for FSX not possible. As the others say, you have to create a folder inside the disk (e.g. FSX) and choose that to install it in. That's the way everyone does it.

Just expanding what others said here.

C:\ or D:\ etc. are ROOT folders. You should never install a program onto a root folder; doing so could create mayor operating system mishaps and application “pathing” problems.

(That is why your installer won’t allow you to select C:\)

Even the Windows operating system is installed onto a subfolder c:\Windows.

Root folders, either local or remote should be kept clean (Folders only); don’t save your user files there.

(BTW some application installers save redistributables onto the root folders; I think thats is bad practice, but just leave them there)

Installing FSX (and many other programs) to C:\Program Files or to C:\Program Files(x86) is known to cause problems with addons, because of windows security issues (mainly CAL and GAC permissions) , so installing onto C:\FSX is a good idea.

Cheers.

Thanks to all for providing the answer to my questions. Now I am sure I can install it in C:\FSX. This is going to be some work since, after installing FSX in the Program Files (x86) folder, I already started installing some add-ons (PMDG 747, 737 NGX and others). I plan to uninstall all the add-ons first, then FSX Acceleration, then FSX, the latter using Revo Uninstaller to remove any potentially annoying links in the registry.

When I reinstall FSX, should I:

• Run the setup file as an administrator?
  • Run the setup file in a mode compatible with Windows XP SP2?
  • Turn off UAC before installing?

In normal operation, should I turn off UAC before running?

I also have a question on the re-installation of add-ons after I install FSX in C:\FSX. I know that when installing direct add-ons such as the PMDG planes, I will point to the C:\FSX location. However, there are other software that normally do not install within the FSX folder, but have links to FSX. An example is FSBuild. Should I install it in the Program Files (x86) folder, or in a new C:\FSBuild folder?

Thanks Dennis. This answers my question about FSX. Now what about the installation of software related to FSX, but that are not add-ons, such as FSBuild: should they install in the Program Files (x86) folder, or in a new C:\FSBuild folder?

If the programs have to be pointed to the FSX root directory, the installer should do that automatically. If it is not necessary, the installer will let you choose where to place the program. Read each installer page carefully, and you should not have any problems.

To resolve any possible problems, I have set up my operating system and other non-fsx programs on my C: SSD, and another SSD (D:) has everything FSX. Works out well, and keeps me from having to think, which is a bonus!

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Before you do a install do a ccleaner first to get rid of any left over registy files that are left behind

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

When I reinstall FSX, should I:

Run the setup file as an administrator?

Run the setup file in a mode compatible with Windows XP SP2?

Turn off UAC before installing?

In normal operation, should I turn off UAC before running?

1. Always!- and this goes for installing/running anything else FSX related too, otherwise you will hit trouble down the line

2. No

3. Yes- Turn UAC off and leave it off, having UAC off is key to a good installation and smooth running of FSX.

Thanks to all who have answered my questions. I have gone ahead and uninstalled/re-installed FSX, this time in C:\FSX, in accordance with all the provided recommendations (running as administrator, UAC and anti-virus off), and have installed the main add-ons (PMDG 747 & 737NGX), and continuing installing others.

There is an outstanding issue. But first I remind you of the evolution of my situation:

1. For the last 2 years I was using a borderline computer running Win 7 32-bits.
  2. On August 31, 2012 I acquired a new powerful machine running Win 7 64-bits, and I installed FSX in the default Program Files(x86) folder.
  3. In the last couple of days, I reinstalled FSX in C:\FSX.

When FSX was installed in the default Program Files (x86) folder, and I loaded a PMDG aircraft flight previously saved when I was using a Win 32-bit computer, the reloaded flight was not correct. For example, flaps were up when they should have been down, the auto-brake switch was off when it should have been at RTO, and the FMC data and flight plan were completely cleared from the FMC. After re-installing FSX in C:\FSX, the same thing happens with the B737, but with the B747 it is even worse: all the displays (PFD, ND) are black. On the other hand, I created a totally new flight with the 747 and saved it, and when I reloaded it, everything was fine. This issue does not occur with default FSX aircraft. So I can live with this issue, but I am just curious to know why this happens. Can this be due to differences between the 32-bit and the 64-bit systems?

Incidentally, turning the UAC off is fine while running FSX, but outside of that it causes annoying side effects, the biggest being that when I go on the site of my bank or other financial institutions, I have to re-enter the 12 digit account number each time, whereas if UAC is set at the default position, the system remembers the account number and automatically enters it in the appropriate field.

Glad you got it working.

Once done with your installs, you can reset UAC to its default setting if you want.

Go to your C:\FSX folder and select fsx.exe

Then right click and select Properties -> click on "Compatibility Tab" -> click on "Change settings for all users" -> check the Privilege Level "Run this program as an Administrator" and Apply.

Do the same for REX or any other FSX addon you have that uses an executable.

Cheers