Sign in to follow this  
Air1

C-46 glider challenge

Making my own challenges / entertainment.

Start a job with a good runway for a destination, carry almost no fuel, get on course and hit the "N" key when available. You will exit warp about 5 miles out. The co-pilot will use just about every line of dialogue he knows all at once concerning lack of fuel and landing. Very funny. Meanwhile you have to manage rate of decent and decide when to deploy gear and flaps in order to make the runway. to bad you can't feather the props, they are a real drag. If you don't make it you can always go back to the "check point" and try it again. An option that you don't have in the real world. But you do learn from your mistakes. After you land and roll to a stop you will still receive credit for the job but of course "0" no skip points. With the C-46 you seem to have more altitude available then some of the smaller aircraft. You can also trade speed for altitude and gain some advantage.

For instance I have not been able to stretch the glide with the Maule or the Cub far enough to reach the runway. Of course you can always do it in free flight with any of the birds, and I have. Hamburger runs also have all aircraft available. Have fun.

It would be nice if they would unlock all the birds so we could use them as we see fit. We did pay for them after all!

Not a bad challenge. I guess since the thing REFUSES to turn even with full rudder and ailerons that it is fair it will also not slow down even without thrust. Thanks for the idea!

Gliding a 50,000Lb aircraft! Nice challenge.

OP, I have access to a certain flying C-46 here in North Carolina. I can get you some great shots, and maybe some video of me at the controls if things work out the way they're supposed to! Such a manly, impressive, beautiful (depending on who you ask) aircraft. And L-O-U-D. My Bose headset doesn't touch the noise levels in that cockpit!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

50,000 lbs is fully loaded with cargo and full fuel. Here we have a very very light cargo and no fuel. Hope you can make that flight, that would be cool. The only C-46 I have seen up close is "Tinker Bell". That was at Airvernterue this year.

BTY I find it is very responive to the controls.

50,000 lbs is fully loaded with cargo and full fuel. Here we have a very very light cargo and no fuel. Hope you can make that flight, that would be cool. The only C-46 I have seen up close is "Tinker Bell". That was at Airvernterue this year.

BTY I find it is very responive to the controls.

Well of course I'm referring to the max gross weight. The point is that's a very large airplane for dead stick landings!

And that would be her. :wub: Tinker Bell.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Sounds like fun! ^_^

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5