Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

10.10 RC1 arrived! And what an RC!

On my system at least, Xplane10 remains amazingly memory-sensitive. I guess a lot of people will leap for joy when 64bit becomes available.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

thank you it worked, awesome update. I hope the new 777 runs ok with it.

I am in the middle of a trip between ESSA end EGLL and up until now everything seems to be ok. Seems promising and performance is quite good.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Yes, watched it and my respect and admiration for the LR team keeps growing from day to day, from flight to flight, each time I find new aspects of X-Plane to support what I already think - it's a great flight simulation platform, way beyond what most think ...

It's dynamic, and that can of course cause problems to 3pds. Want my oppinion? Those who are really up to the level / exigence of the sophisticated simulation X-Plane provides will stay, and do better and better with each new add-on, the others will follow the easiest way and leave, or not even join the club...

Of course, this is my oppinion, a very personal and, you may say, enthusiastic one, but that's how I feel about X-Plane(10)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just upgraded to rc1 and I don't know if it is the fact that I haven't seen the sim in 10 day or if it really has changed that much, but it just looks fabulous. I still get the left side role, so adjusted using the aileron trim on the carenado caravan and a very steady flight...I have to got to see how it behaves when I throw the KLAX scenery at it!!

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

From Ben's blog:

10.10 is not particularly happy with current shipping ATI Windows drivers. We’re still figuring out what our best path is. We may have to disable functionality when we identify this driver set.

That makes me sick, really. How many months ago did they promise to work out the ATI problems ? Of course, it's all ATI's fault. Somehow Laminar "Research" seems to be the only company unable to produce code that works with ATI GPUs. I'm pretty close now to just deinstall x-plane and consider the 70.-EUR I spent on it as a loss. Never again.

From Ben's blog:

That makes me sick, really. How many months ago did they promise to work out the ATI problems ? Of course, it's all ATI's fault. Somehow Laminar "Research" seems to be the only company unable to produce code that works with ATI GPUs. I'm pretty close now to just deinstall x-plane and consider the 70.-EUR I spent on it as a loss. Never again.

i stayed with the old ATI drivers, i think 12.4 And Xplane 10 runs great. At max settings with HDR off, i get over 30-40fps.

From Ben's blog:

I agree that is absolutely disgusting! I've never been so disgusted by a developer comment in all my life.

Do we still need multiple copies of XPX and PC's to obtain detachable views as in FS9/FSX? I have that requirement, the sky(projector), the instruments(multiple screens). Then other PC's for weather, ATC and other add-ons.

I have a Radeon XTX 6770 I don't have too many problems with X-Plane 10 I have most of the rendering settings cranked up and getting 25-30fps even in Seattle.

X-Plane sounds great and I'd really consider switching to it if it weren't for those three things:

1. The terrible ATC and AI. They are still years behind FSX, and need lots of work.

2. The fake but "plausible" world. Seriously? Why can't they work on having the scenery match the real world?

3. Austin Meyer's stinking altitude. "The GUI we have now is so perfect, if people don't like it, put up or shut up!" Not to mention his mockery towards Microsoft Flight or the constant nagging about switching from MSFS.

I am aware of X-Plane's great development and strong points, but until they fix those three, it's a no-go for me. Not paying $70 for "plausible" scenery.

X-Plane sounds great and I'd really consider switching to it if it weren't for those three things:

1. The terrible ATC and AI. They are still years behind FSX, and need lots of work.

2. The fake but "plausible" world. Seriously? Why can't they work on having the scenery match the real world?

3. Austin Meyer's stinking altitude. "The GUI we have now is so perfect, if people don't like it, put up or shut up!" Not to mention his mockery towards Microsoft Flight or the constant nagging about switching from MSFS.

I am aware of X-Plane's great development and strong points, but until they fix those three, it's a no-go for me. Not paying $70 for "plausible" scenery.

The scenery is being worked on and should be out with 10.20 when it goes 64-bit but you would have known that if you read Ben's blog. The new GUI is actually much better then it was and I like it, kind of resemble FSX in a way. ATC in FSX likes to route you into a mountain or into another plane when landing, ATC does need work in XPX I think we all know that. So the stuff is being worked on just be patient and enjoy x-plane for what it is.

Take your time... no hurry! It took me months, but was for good :-) Now I know why :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, a case was made (over some resistance) for modification of the Ui, and some efforts along those lines have been made and are visible in this Release Candidate and several proceeding ones. The message there is that Laminar can listen if voices are raised, but progress is as incremental in this area as Xplane progress in areas other than systems simulation has apparently always been.

I can't help but agree about the ATC and AI! I am not a big user of either, but what I have seen so far is not up to par, and I suspect that this is again simply not a focus. I think third parties will have to fix it eventually, but I would not step in if I was a third party until the code was stable.

Its the "plausible world" that is a big problem for me right now. I believe in the technology, and have been promoting the techniques on which its based as a no brainer for flight Sims for years, but the Xplane10 implementation seems neat, cold, artificial and quite dead. There is a lack of any believable naturalist style that makes everything feel like an electronic sketch of nature rather than an attempt to depict a landscape, and that style has been an Xplane constant.

I have hopes that 64bit will allow more variety in texturing, and that somebody will finally kill the horrible trees and replace them, but again, its all problematic because these small "human" touches that make a world have never seemed to be a focus during Xplanes lifetime.

This RC confirms that I still can't "believe" in the plausible world right now.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Take your time... no hurry! It took me months, but was for good :-) Now I know why :-)

The question is, are my concerns going to be fixed? I'm sure the ATC and AI will be improved in the future because X-Plane's developing greatly. But what about the scenery? Plus, Austin really has to fix his altitude towards Microsoft's products.

@HiFlyer': Exactly my concerns. I use ATC a lot, and the scenery in the X-Plane demo doesn't convince me. I am happy that GUI is being improved, but it needs more.

I'm staying with the FSX (possibly Prepar3D in the future) side for now.