Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Radar application for RT training in local network

That was a bit of a mouthful, but here is was I am contemplating.

At my local flightclub we have three computers in a network and two have FS9 installed. We have some new pilots who aren't comfortable with RT so I figured with the autumn evenings becoming less friendly for flying, we could instead give them a chance to work on the mic freight.

So I'd like to create a training environment where a "tower controller" sits at one computer with some kind of map view and talks with the two "pilots" that uses the FS9-computers. I suppose Teamspeak is the way to go for the RT part, but has anyone got a suggestion what would be a suitable "radar application" for the ATC station.

I have unused licenses for FSCommander as well as FSNavigator so could one of those work?. There is also the instructor station in FS9 but does it support multiplayer? Does it even have a map?! Inititiating power off landings from the instructor station could otherwise be fun.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Either FsNavigator or FSCommander would work well enough to provide those acting as ATC with the session's aircraft situational awareness, to be able to act a ground, tower or approach controllers.

Yes, Teamspeak would be a good choice for the Radio Communications.

Geoff, thanks for your reply! I'll probably try to set up FSCommander since FSNav can only be run from within the simulator.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Geoff, thanks for your reply! I'll probably try to set up FSCommander since FSNav can only be run from within the simulator.

You will need to run FS9, no matter which Radar you use, so that you can connect to your Multiplayer session, and get the traffic onto the radar.

Are you sure about that? If I run FSCommander on a computer where I have no sim installed I can still show VATSIM traffic in FSCommander and VATSIM is a kind of multiplayer session. My multiplayer session would be hosted on one of the computers running FS9. Well, only one way to find out! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Are you sure about that? If I run FSCommander on a computer where I have no sim installed I can still show VATSIM traffic in FSCommander and VATSIM is a kind of multiplayer session. My multiplayer session would be hosted on one of the computers running FS9. Well, only one way to find out! :D

You have already found out .. I just told you. :P

In FScommander, under ONLINE, you will see it knows how to Connect to Vatsim & IVAO (provided you suppy user login info). There is NO provision to log into a FS9, or FSX muliplayer session, unless FS9 or FSX is already running and connected to their MP sessions.

Would be a nice feature for FSCommander to add, but don't hold your breath waiting for that - easier said than done.

FS9 is possible as it's Multiplayer is DirectPlay9, and there is a FS9 Multiplayer SDK (of sorts). FSX is another (dissapointing) Story.

Geoff,

I just tried setting it up at home. FS9 on one computer with FSUIPC installed and WideFS server. On another computer in the same workgroup I installed the widefs client and FSCommander. Started a multiplayer session in FS9 and lo and behold, I have no problem connecting FSCommander 8 to the mulitplayer session and I get a readout of the altitude and speed! Under GPS in FSCommander I chose Conneto to FS as I would have done when connecting to VATSIM, and that's it! B)

Anyway, I should have tried it myself first before I went asking for help. But I appreciate you responding!!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------