Sign in to follow this  
turner112

How to quickly "hide" default scenery objects?

Hi all,

I distinctly remember reading something about a fast way to draw a polygon to "hide" default scenery objects, but can't find it now. It seemed really basic, just drawing on top of the default scenery. It was probably one of the airport editors?

(Bonus question!! : what's the easiest software to use to modify runways/taxiways?)

FWIW I'm using Massive Scenery, and want to eliminate default airport buildings where they are incorrect and replace them.

Åny help appreciated -

thanks,

Andrew

For the most part scenery objects such as buildings can be removed using Exclusion Rectangles. However these need to be used with care. If you are interested in removing everything then a large one will do that. However it may also remove things that you did not want removed. In some circumstances both taxi signs and FSX jetways will be affected. The law of unintended consequences runs rife when using large exclusions.

So it is often better to use a series of small exclusions set to deal with single or small groups of objects.

If they are default objects (that is from FSX and not from third party add ons) then I would humbly suggest looking at Airport Design Editor. Loading a stock airport into ADE will load the airport buildings. In ADE you do not need to use an exclusion. You just need to select any buildings you want gone and delete them. These will then be gone in FS. ADE does use exclusion rectangles but it creates very small ones and you do not need to worry about creating your own.

There are several other tools that will create exclusions. One of the easiest if you are just looking to deal with scenery objects such as building is Instant Scenery 2 from Flight1. This has the benefit of working in Sim so you can see what you are doing in the 'real scenery' so to speak.

As for Airport Factilities Editors it depends on whether this is FS9 or FSX. AFCAD is the grand daddy tool and is still available and used for FS9. It has not been updated for many years now. As for currently supported tools the main choices are AFX again from Flight1 or Airport Design Editor. Both support FS9 and FSX. AFX is payware and developed by the same person as Instant Scenery. ADE is primarily freeware (it does have paid for advanced tools) and is developed by me. As for which would suit your needs best I will leave that to others to say.

Hi Jon-

THANKS!

I am actually using FSX and Instant Scenery 2... did not know I could create exclusions with that, or, at least, I forgot.

Ok.. I've looked it up and tried it, but it's not working - the manual states "Only objects

defined in lower-priority scenery areas will be affected."... so, the airport buildings I need to eliminate aren't affected.

Checking out ADE now. Looks like it's great! Only catch is I have to figure out how to compile.. was easy to open an airport by a search, but when compiling it looks like it doesn't simply offer to overwrite the original.

cheers

Andrew

You don't over write anything. In fact you should not. Compile in ADE using File > Compile. Choose the Addon Scenery\scenery folder as the target to save the compiled Bgl file. Make sure FSX is not running when you compile. After the Bgl file is in the scenery folder then run FSXvand your updates should be in effect.