Last night I updated the firmware on my GTX 460 SE (301.??), and after the update I noticed an option that said Enable 3D.

Now, I thought you had to have a 3D monitor to enable 3D (I do not have 3D monitors). So, I went to Nvidia's website and ran the system test to see if I can run 3D and all test pass.

NVidia has something that's called 3D Vision discovery glasses, but you cannot buy them by themselves.

So, I was wondering has any body tried this with FSX and how does it look. Also, tigerdirect has the 3D wireless kit for around $150, and their called active shutter (which I have no idea what that means), but I search bestbuy and Sharp has some 3D glasses (active shutter) wireless rechargeable with infrared receiver for around $60. Are these the same?

Thanks,

Ray

Running in 3D requires high frames since it effectively halves the frame rate for each eye. So if you fly at 30fps, it will look like 15fps. Not sure about your system but I suppose it could be done in FSX. I would have to turn so much graphic stuff off or down that it would be a blurry barren ugly mess. No thanks.

I had 3D glasses for a while but stopped using it cause its just clunky and frame rates were always an issue. There's also convergence in many games to worry about but that's been ironed out pretty well I hear.

My system runs FSX with ENB+REX+UTX+3DVision with no problem holding 30FPS on a 120hz Monitor

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

run 3d off Hd 6670 graphic card with tridef and add ons rex and utx-hd3d in power 3d get around 22 to 30 FPS with mid-range settings. Makes flying GA low and slow really fun. Trying it out now on passive glasses on vizio 3dtv its locked at 30fps on 1080p, but can go to 60 fps with 720p. Once you go 3d hard to go back to 2d for flying. Would get passive monitor and nivida 3d program that can work on all types of displays or go with tridef. Also, if you got $$$ try to find a monitor that can convert 2d and 3d on the fly so it does not effect fps.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have just regular monitors, they are NOT 3D, and I have 3 of them running Nvidia surround.

My graphics cards are (2) GTX 460 SE.

Nvidia says I can run 3D, but I thought you needed a 3D monitor. I was looking at the passive 3D, but from the looks of it you need the old style glasses, one blue one red...is that correct? If so you cannot pick them up at Best Buy, unless any passive will work.

So, then I started looking into the active 3D and again you can only order it from Nvidia...is that correct? Still not sure if this will work for me...because I look a lot at my EFB tablet that's connected to FSX via bluetooth, or I'm on my laptop looking up skyvector.

Thanks,

Ray

You can't run 3d without a 3d display. Also, FSX isn't coded for 3d displays so it has some graphical glitches. I don't recommend it.

Also, FSX isn't coded for 3d displays so it has some graphical glitches.

FSX is actually very good in terms of 3D. Everything works in 3D except .FX lighting.

Been 3-D simming -- first with red-and-blue glasses, then Edimensional shutter glasses, and now with 3DVision glasses -- for about five years now. Adds a new level of immersion to FSX.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

You don't need those expensive monitors and glasses. Just do what I do: Quickly blink your eyes alternately. With practice you can attain remarkable 3D depth and dramatically enhance your FSX experience!

:P

Alexander Alonso

Quickly blink your eyes alternately.

I actually tried for like 5 seconds!! LMAO!!! :LMAO:

lol wish, it worked, they are working on holigraphic 3d saw it on youtube :lol: . Got passive shutter 3dtv to use for fsx works well, you are frame limited 30 fps, but fly I low and slow anyways. If someone could fix those lights be great. Lots of forums dedicated to 3d. Got Nividia or AMD card go with tridef or Nidivia can use 3d Visions with Nividia card and they provided a list of monitors that will work with Nivida products. It does cost money, but it worth with immersion effect. The 3d effect is best when you are flying down on the valley floor and see those huge mountains in the background. 3d effect is money never wasted to me can watch cartoons in 3d now and movies. B)

I've been trying the 3D option - and find the effect compelling. Does anyone know of a good source of up to date information on fsx/w-3d?

You don't need those expensive monitors and glasses. Just do what I do: Quickly blink your eyes alternately. With practice you can attain remarkable 3D depth and dramatically enhance your FSX experience!

:P

Uhmmm........ Like this?  :mellow:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5