Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

Are You the only flight sim enthusiast/addict in your home?

Yeah, my daughter calls my virtual passengers the nerd squad.

:LMAO:

I'm the only one in our household. My GF's an irremediable white-knuckle flier anyway, so couldn't be dragged kicking and screaming to Flightsim. She's impressed with some of the scenery add-ons though.

Only simmer here also. My Daughter (5) thinks it is the coolest thing though other than SpongeBob and my Son (10 months) loves the lights. Lol. My wife does not have two cares about it or computers in general unless she gets to the bank statement before I do. PMDG no lie caused me one of the most insane arguments ever with Her. No lie, just try to explain and win an argument about $200+ on addon planes for a sim that cost $30. She couldn't get it. I lost that one. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My day job is working for an embedded engineering firm and ironically 6 out of 12 engineers in my department are real world pilots. One of the remaining six is starting flight training soon.

Most of the pilots (including our CEO) use FSX in multi-monitor setups at home to fly into areas/airports they are unfamiliar with before making the real trip. Flying into the Concrete airport using Orbx PNW and Concrete airport scenery is a great way to familiarize yourself with the terrain before approaching the airport and thinking “#####?”

Funny enough though…we rarely talk about FSX, or flying at all for that matter, while at work.

Too many projects and we are all pretty much task saturated all day.

Philip

Just little ol' me. My Grandson is starting to take an interest, and I will heartily encourage that.

Stan

I'm the only one. My daughter is in her early teens and isn't interested in anything to do with aviation. My wife is just too busy to have many hobbies, and hasn't shown an interest in aviation either. So it's just me.....

John

Just me. My 16 year-old son thinks the VC cockpits are cool, but he's too busy playing the drums, working out, playing basketball, playing hockey, studying, playing Madden on his XBox ... well, you get the picture ... to fool around with flight sims. My 12 year-old daughter also thinks the planes are cool to look at, but that's about it.

My wife? Well, she's just happy that I'm "flying" around the basement, as she thinks that flying GA aircraft "for real" is too dangerous. The friends who actually are cognizant of my FSX addiction (yep, that's what it is; c'mon, everyone, admit it) think that it's really nerdy to "pretend" that I'm flying.

Sigh. I tend not to mention anything about my hobby to most people for fear of ridicule. What a sad state of affairs, because many of those who laugh at our hobby also play games on their XBoxes, PS3's, or PC's (e.g., NHL, Skyrim, or World of Warcraft), or even on their iPhones (e.g., Farmville, The Sims, etc.).

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Only one here too. My brother is the one that started it, he's about 10 years older then me and I remember him with FS98 then FS2004. By the time he got fsx our pc was getting old and he didnt really have time anymore. He's now an airline pilot and gave me the aviation bug, it does sorta run in the family I suppose. He still loves playing around on fsx when he comes home, he's amazed at what we have now (i remember him buying the LDS and he also got the Aeroworx for training) He is amazed at the realism etc.

Starting my training now and we both agree FS has helped with the rw stuff.

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

due to a medical condition: Narcolepsy.

Hah! Yeah--no--. Sorry.

anyhoo~

My kids like real flying but the virtual stuff--meh. Though my tween son suddenly is starting to get interested and the babies love sitting in my "cockpit" and playing with the yoke.

Jim Atkins

Well, judging by the comments here Flight simming appears to be a male dominated hobby. Unless of course the ladies would like to speak up

I would like to see a large poll put up to get a real view. Like married, single, male, female, age, location.

I think it would be kind of cool so see all that in one area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, judging by the comments here Flight simming appears to be a male dominated hobby. Unless of course the ladies would like to speak up

My gf works as a flight attendant and likes to sim at home. It's a pretty fun and interesting hobby to sim, not only flight sims....i also have Train Sims, Subway Sims(not the sandwiches) Bus Sims and yes i also bought "Street Cleaning Simulator" :lol: which is actually pretty fun.

99% male. Best not bring FS up an a first date then....................Unless of course your female. :wub:

I would like to see a large poll put up to get a real view. Like married, single, male, female, age, location.

I think it would be kind of cool so see all that in one area.

Not sure it would tell you much. My experience is that many many people, male and female kind of like the idea of flight Sims (especially if caught at the right age) and with a little wheedling can be persuaded to give it a try. Its just that the way the sims present themselves to newbies is habitually impenetrable, and I believe that is becoming more so rather than less. :unsure:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5