Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Plague Incorporated? Uhm.......

So, looking for a new brainless diversion on my Ipad, I come across Plague incorporated, which is part of a fairly new genre apparently started by the game Pandemic and the sequel Pandemic 2

The object of the game is to evolve and propagate as a plague/pandemic and totally erase mankind from the earth. Strategy's include starting in poor third world countries so as to avoid notice for as long as possible, and then evolving in such a way as to thwart containment and the search for a cure until its too late.

Does anyone out there besides me find this whole concept kinda..... Macabre?

Just my eyebrow raiser for today.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Does anyone out there besides me find this whole concept kinda..... Macabre?

Certainly seems that way to me, has the games industry really run out of all other ideas??? :huh:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I'm afraid a lot of the PC games have lost the plot IMO. All they ever seem to do is pander to the lowest common denominator... a bit like the load of clap trap that comes out of Hollywood these days, purporting to be blockbusters. All the producers want to tell us is how the film is the most expensive, with the biggest budget, the most special effects and highest paid actors blah blah, like it means something... Plague Inc? Sheesh, what a load of crap.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I bought and wore that game out a few months ago. I found it entertaining.

Note the "History" Channel's past obsession with the end of the world. Asteroids, plagues, etc, etc. I believe as humans we all share a fascination with the inevitable end of civilization (whenever that may be [no Myan theorists, please]). This game feeds on that fascination and also a certain strategic itch I have. It's an interesting concept, and a spooky one. That's what me kept me playing while sitting in the FBO waiting on passengers,

Why hate so hard on what a few others may find interesting? "load of crap"? And the most popular game these days has us "sling shotting" birds at pigs on little wooden castles. Again, at least there's a bit of strategy involved in Plague Inc. Surely someone can appreciate that?

(When'd you get opinionated, Howard?) :P

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

:smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Lets not forget that they even offer a Walkthrough, Cheats and Strategy Guide. :lol: So much for the superlative of macabre.

Either way, such things can offer an educational purpose, even if they incorporate the game goal of killing mankind. The ways of spreading and the number gain included are the things which may come in interesting and even enlightening.

Actually I think the dictionary definitions of the word macabre fit the game perfectly.

In works of art, macabre (US /məˈkɑːb/mə-kahb or UK /məˈkɑːbrə/; French: [makabʁ]) is the quality of having a grim or ghastly atmosphere. Macabre works emphasize the details and symbols of death.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I bought it today, very good for 99 cents. It's just a map. A strange feeling as you see humanity lose the battle. But quite educational, re all the variables that could exacerbate an outbreak.

Sorry fellas, my previous outburst was uncalled for...

Howard

Love it also. This thread actually got me to get it on my iPhone. I find it a fun time waster. Judge me if you want. I don't see the harm in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry fellas, my previous outburst was uncalled for...

Some folks receive a feel of relief when shooting birds then. :lol: No, not the real ones.

But I agree with you Howard, some games come in pretty weird at first.

Some folks receive a feel of relief when shooting birds then. :lol: No, not the real ones.

But I agree with you Howard, some games come in pretty weird at first.

My original post on the game was rather negative, but I thought it through a bit more before hitting the "post" button and downgraded my reaction a bit. I can see some claim to an educational nature, but since the game really does nothing to exploit or capitalize on that, I have to see the notion as a rather thin fig leaf over a mildly tasteless, even if engaging, diversion.

Devons rig

Oh I agree. It is pretty tasteless and I still waste my time with it. But then again, nobody here should take me too seriously, because one of the funniest and most remembered games I have ever owned was called "Redneck Rampage". THAT...was tasteless and just plain wrong, pushed the envelope on content back when it was released, and as we speak, I am looking for it to install again...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk