Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

I've been recently thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Saitek Yoke and Rudder pedals, instead of just using a Thrustmaster HotasX Joystick which I have used quite successfully for the last few years. I would be looking at the Saitek Cessna range as I would like something realistic. I understand from reading the threads here that the Cessna range are made slightly better than the Pro-Flight range from Saitek and are better than the CH products. What do the rest of you think about these?

My other query is regarding the use of the Throttle quadrants, I understand that by having 2 throttle quadrants I can set up two engine props with throttle, prop pitch and mixture for both engine one and two, which is great but I don't always fly twin props...........Sometimes I fly 4 engine props, and Jets with two, three or four engines. Is it possible to have saved throttle quadrant settings for each of these aircraft that are automatically set up whenever I fly that particular aircraft? What do the rest of you do?

Thanks for any useful comments,

Happy Flying.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hiya Stretch

From all of my reading around here (I've only been here a few weeks) I discovered that FSUIPC seems to be able to do this.

So I bought the paid for version and am still reading the manuals / playing with it all, but yes, you can, and from what I've read, FSUIPC saves your hardware settings "per-aircraft"...

I'm still learning and finding my way around FSX/FSUIPC and other stuff, but thats what I've learned so far.. I have 2 throttle quadrants too, and so far have only set them up in FSX for 4 engines, throttle only, no prop/mixing at all, as I like to fly about in the B737 and the cessna..

Hi RCITGuy,

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think nobody was at home!

Interested in your comments with regards using FSUIPC I don't have it installed on my PC, I thought about it once for controlling the weather in FSX but then went down another path and bought REXEssentials instead.

What kind of Yoke do you use? and how does it compare to using just a joystick? Does using a yoke really improve the experience of FSX so much more than a joystick?

Very interested in your thoughts on this subject.

Regards.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

how does it compare to using just a joystick? Does using a yoke really improve the experience of FSX so much more than a joystick?

I bought a yoke long time ago in the 90's and it changed my whole experience of FS for the better. It was the original CH Virtual Pilot Pro and it lasted until a couple of months ago. I replaced it with the Saitek Pro and it is a great yoke. My old Thrustmaster Pedals also lasted a long time and were subsequently replaced by the new Saitek pedals. I couldn't enjoy flying without both a yoke and pedals. On the other hand, if you're an Airbus man you probably need that little boy's joystick they are flown with ^_^ .

Hi btrjet,

Thanks for the comments,

Nope not an Airbus fan. All the aircraft in the hanger are Boeing PMDG oh except that wonderful MD11.....................Then I found A2A and now need a bigger hanger.............Why do those folks at A2A make such damn good planes!!!!!!

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I've got the Saitek Throttle quadrant, yoke and rudder pedals ( Pro series). The pedals are great because the footwork is an integral part of flying in the real environment. They are well built and easy to set up. I have to say the build quality of the Pro Yoke leaves a lot to be desired IMO. The best way to describe it is "sticky". The mechanism does not allow for smooth control so minor inputs can end up being "jerky". At the extreme end this is particularly noticeable; if you turn the yolk to get full aileron deflection ( only 45 degrees in Pro version) the elevator control is terrible. I have heard that the Cessna version turns the full 90 degrees ( like a real Cessna yoke) and is both smoother and more responsive.

Someday I will open it up to see if there is a way to mod the mechanism for smoother control.

Dave, depends what your flying...

I like to potter about in Boeings and cessnas, so a yoke for me is perfect, but if your an airbus/fighter jet kinda guy then a stick is better..

I have the pro-flight yoke, 2 throttle quadrants and I love em so far..

I just spent the last 4 hours farting about with FSUIPC, re-jigging my controls, but after much fluffing around, all is good, I have the throttles setup correctly now, spoilers/flaps etc, and i'm also using Accu-feel, which is very subtle, but really awesome.

FSUIPC + SPAD for my panels has actually now got all my kit working, as all my panels used to keep freezing up on me, but I just did a quick test run outta heathrow and back, and seems ok, will test tomorrow when I'm off to AmsterHAM for a long jaunt around the block so to speak :-)

So yeah, overall, I'm really happy with my yoke and throttles, so long as you have some patience to sit and familiarise yourself with the FSUIPC manual, which is very friendly written and easy to understand, all is well :-)

I now even setup engine starts and cut-outs, spoiler arming so far....

Accu-feel is good if you set cabin integrity to zero... Turns it into a bone shaker of a ride :-)

Hi RCITGuy,

Ok so I did it, and splashed out on the Proflight Cessna yoke and pedals, with an extra throttle quadrant to give me six levers.

Woohoo your right, it really does make a difference to your control of the aircraft. I am like you and fly Boeings and Cessna's really cool, I've also kept my Thrustmaster HOTAS stick connected for flying A2A's Spitfire, Mustang and cub really cool now!!!!

I'm interested in your setting jet throttles with spoilers, throttle and flaps and your Prop throttles with Mixture, prop and throttle settings.................Have you used FSUIPC for this or the Saitek sst software, as I can't get that to work properly on my set up. I have set up the Keystrokes properly in the Saitek software but they don't seem to translate into actions in FSX.

Interesting to see your using Accu Feel as I have that too, I just love the creaks and groans in my old aircraft.

Happy Flying.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hiya mate

I don't actually use prop pitch or mixture at all yet, haven't got that far...

So far, all I have managed to do is set the auto brake to one of the buttons, and the far left levers detent, so that when flying with power on, the far left lever controls the spoilers and auto arms the auto spoilers upon lowering the throttle to idle (almost).

Am still experimenting with various settings and buttons, but I need to learn a lot more before advancing with the controls I think..

Glad you like yours, it really does turn it from a frustrating game to an actual simulator..

Hi RCITGuy,

So after spending two very frustrating days trying to get the Saitek software to work as Mixture/Prop/Throttle and Spoilers/Throttle/Flaps and getting nowhere, I decided to follow you and buy a copy of FSUIPC. All I can say is, wow! It's so easy to set up any button on Yoke, Throttle, my old Joystick to work any control in FSX.................So I am now a happy bunny again and just waiting for that second throttle quadrant to arrive that's on back order, ggggrrrrr.............Hopefully should be here tomorrow...........then I will be able to set up some truly wonderful settings and things will be working as close to the real thing as I'm ever going to want them to be.

My flying is improving no end with a Yoke too.

Anyway thanks for the reply, I hope you get your settings sorted out as you want them.

Regards.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Lots of happy customers here. I on the other hand have very different experience with the pro flight products. My Pro Flight yoke for example frequently loses it's USB connection. The only way to get it back is to reboot. This is a very common problem that many Saitek users have. The problem has spawned a lot of suggested mods like disengaging sleep mode on USB device drivers ect. , ect., ect. Another problem; Using their built in USB bus for other devices is a bust. Buy their add on USB power supply so it will work better? Forget that. It is a waste of your money.

The Saitek software is also a bust. I simply removed it from my hard drive, use SPAD for Saiteks switch and multi panel, use FSCUIP4 for yoke and button controls.

The Saitek throttle modules have their own quality control problems. The original unit that ties into the yoke has a soft spot in its rheostat but other than that it has nice detent at throttle off position. On the other hand, my second throttle module with a USB connection has nice control but a practically non-existent detent at throttle off position. This one I sent back for replacement and received back a perfect replacement of the same problem in a new box.

MY NICE THINGS TO SAY: their rudder pedal and USB trim wheel are nice and a good buy. If I had things to do over again I would pay twice as much for a really good commercial quality flight training yoke and throttle system. After all, flight simming is not a cheap hobby, sooooo what do you use most? Yoke, mixture, trim, and throttle. Buy good and cry less.

Hi All

I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention anything about losing the USB connection and in the six or more years I have had most of my Saitek hardware it has never happened to me. I found that routing all of my cables though some thin wall flexible tubing helps to avoid inadvertent pulling on any cables. Just my two cents worth........John

Hi John... agreed..... I have never have any problem with any Saitek product. I run dual yokes and quadrants.. Dual radios and the BIP... Can't fly without them!

Jeff

I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention anything about losing the USB connection

I have to disagree, my Saitek yoke never comes alive after a boot or reboot. It's connected directly to the MB and has to be unplugged and reconnected every time. It's a pita but I've got used to it.

I would also pay more for a higher quality yoke if I had the spare cash, the travel is quite simply not smooth enough. The trim wheel and rudder pedals are excellent though.

Hi Anthony

It seems to me there was a problem with that before the Spad drivers came along and one had to do that everytime after a restart. This is just a suggestion but are you sure you got completely rid of anything Saitek softwarewise? Because there is no way in hell that that should be happening. If you are familliar with your registry you could run a search for Saitek and see what comes up and share it with us please......John