Sign in to follow this  
HUMPERS

updated to windows 7 but having problems

Can anyone help please? I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 but I am having trouble getting many files to install on FS9.

I managed to get Gary Summons Uk part 3 on ok but i cannot get Just flight's VFR scenery volume 1 or Radar Contact 4 to install. Also many AI flights from WOAI & several aircraft don't show.

In fact i can only see default traffic. Very frustrating. I have run through the installation program for the VFR scenery from scratch lots of times and t it says its ok to start FS 9 but its just not showing up.

Any ideas Folks?

Cheers

Rod :mellow:

Right click, run as administrator. I suppose you installed FS2004 in the its default program files?

You say that you have upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Does that mean you have bought the upgrade version of WIndows 7 or have you wiped your system clean and installed a full version of Windows 7? It is generally considered that the latter route is the best as installing just an upgrade version of the operating system whilst less costly can give rise to all sorts of problems.

David

Can anyone help please? I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 but I am having trouble getting many files to install on FS9.

I'd also suggest that you not install FS9 in the folder C:\Program Files (x86) which an install under Windows 7 will default to. Install by first invoking administrator privileges, then install FS9 to another, short-name folder of your own creation such as C:\FS9; D:\FS9 or some such. I'm running FS9 here on Windows 7 64-bit with no issues, including virtually all of the WOAI packages and a great deal of 3rd party scenery (both commercial and freeware) and have no issues. But if you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 as I am, keep in mind that FS9 is a 32-bit program, which sometimes means it can be necessary to do some things a little differently than you're probably used to. Finally, per the other poster above, if you've installed an "upgrade" version of Windows 7 over an existing Windows XP installation, you're almost bound to have serious issues. By all means do a "clean" install of Windows 7 if you possibly can.

Its a new computer so Windows 7 is a fresh install. I paid for a d/l (Home) version & they kindly gave me a Professional edition.

I think i might try installing into a differnet directory as suggested. If i do, can i drag over some of the files from the present directory to avoid all the time wasting?

thanks for your help.

Rod

Giving yourself a stable Sim is not time wasting. Cutting corners and then trying to fix problems is. If you do it right from the start you will not regret your action.

Install fs9 to a folder of your making outside of Program Files. Make sure you have turned off UAC before you start, it will save you a lot of grief.

When you are done installing your addons, if you want some pointers toward various settings, come back.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Provided you know how to assign permissions to all the FS9 files and folders then there is no reason why you should not install the software into the Program Files folder structure. If you don't know how to do this then installing outside of Program Files is the better option.

As for invoking administrator privileges before installing FS9 this is not necessary. I have never done this in Windows 7 and it has not caused me any problems installing FS9. In fact, I have never, ever invoked administrator privileges to install any software in Windows 7 and have never had any problems as a result. BTW, I am the only user on my PCs.

David

i will install in seperate folder as I'm not quite sure about assigning permissions? But if its straightforward please let me know.(the more I know , the better).

Thanks everyone

Rod