Sign in to follow this  
Ken_Stallings

Airport lights, old airplane skins, & cockpit lights?

If this is covered in another thread, then just advise me. I looked through the first page and did not find anything that appeared to match my questions by title.

There are three basic issues I have found over the years when using the Dx10 Preview in FSX and these are the reasons why I stopped using it.

1. Airport lights disappear -- this is a constant that whenever I have used Dx10 Preview the taxiway, apron, and runway lights (except sometimes for the approach lights) disappear. So, do these Dx10 tricks recently discovered solve that problem?

2. Older airplane skins turn solid light grey -- this happens with many aircraft originally released for FS9 in that when in Dx10 Preview, the skin paints seem to disappear and get replaced with a solid light grey skin. I recall that this was because the type of texture file used for these older airplanes are not compatible with Dx10. So, again, do these recently discovered tricks solve that problem?

3. Often I have found that the way cockpit flood and instrument backlights are radically altered when using Dx10 Preview. So, once again, do these tricks solve that issue?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken; I can answer #2 for you, though it may not work for all aircraft - but I've yet to find one which won't. I have the Rick Piper Chippie; the LSH Maddog; the F1 172 "Used Trainer", the Do-27, the Carenado 182Q - all were light grey, as you said - but I happened to have (for three years or more - never needed it) - AddonConverter" by FlightSimTools.com. It fires up via the dll.xml, as FSX starts, runs through the system, converting on the fly and creating a cache file, which it reads every launch-time thereafter. Of course - it you take it out of the xml, they all revert, so it's an extra thing to run...

For the lights I have to leave it to Steve. I haven't been following it. Shockwave lights have solved all my lighting issues, but I don't do much in that respect, anyway - spending most of the time at this moment finding performance efficiencies!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Appreciate the reply Paul!

If the other issues can be satisfied, then purchasing a third-party utility to correct that issue might well be advisable. One of the principle airplanes with this issue is the Flight One 172R, which I really like because since it had wheel pants, it became an almost perfect match for my own real-world Skyhawk. A fellow by the forum name of Real Old Salt (Rich Murray) was kind enough to work up a beautiful custom livery and interior cockpit that perfectly matched my airplane and Jerry Beckwith was equally gracious and worked up an FDE that very tightly matched performance using a 180hp engine such as I installed on my Skyhawk. So, if this utility would solve that issue for that particular Skyhawk (inside and outside) it would be welcome.

BTW: I have not heard from Real Old Salt in ages. Anyone know what he's up to?

Thanks,

Ken

For the lights I have to leave it to Steve. I haven't been following it. Shockwave lights have solved all my lighting issues, but I don't do much in that respect, anyway - spending most of the time at this moment finding performance efficiencies!

Paul, you mention shockwave lights? Please can you elaborate.

I have spent a few hours now getting DX10 to work from a performance aspect and have now found a sweet spot that works for me. However, the runway lights are a problem. At some airports they behave perfectly at others they blink on then off, which is a shame. I get that DX10 preview is after all, a preview and as such is experimental.

Bri

I did a small amount of testing of the aircraft lights when Steve first posted his Blog, Bri, and I was parked at Concrete. On some aircraft - the C172 I had the results he was expecting, but when it came to the landing and strobes - I saw the street lamps come on at the same times as they did - and flash in sync with the strobes. It didn't do it with all aircraft, though, and after looking at the aircraft cfg's, it was apparent that I had installed the Shockwave lights at some time, and they were still there in those aircraft. I then re-installed the REDUX back into the system, but wasn't aware of the runway lights issue as I rarely fly at night - however I will test this, as - for some - it could be a show-stopper.

Back later.

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul, when I fly I tend to do it in real time. Don't know why it's just one of those habits one gets into. Due to boring old work most of my flying is therefore done at night. It might also have a lot to do with the fact that most of my RW flying as a passenger into Heathrow has mostly been at night also and is why I have an affinity for it. I would be interested in your findings though when you get chance as so far I've only tried three airports. Of the three Heathrow with UK 2000 extreme has worked the best for me, the other EGCC another UK2000 field has been random with the lights flickering on and off. another default field Sheffield was very poor with only the centreline lights being visible.

When it works it's Amazing. It just feels that it's random right now but their must be something that can be fixed, because sometimes it works other times it doesn't, it's just finding the common link. Easier said than done :)

Bri

Can someone please help me understand how this DX10 works????

It is very frustrating, I have some payware products that if "Preview DZ10" is not checked than all you see are skeletons and much of the scenery or airplane is not there (FSDreamTean JFK, RealTraffic, and I just purchased the CS 757.

I ant seen to get it where everythin is working at the same time.

Well, Bob, I guess you need to tell us a few things first, like your system details in your Profile, what your Operating system is, and the specifics of what scenery, what aircraft.

What payware products only show skeletons if you don't check DX10- Preview?

You won't find anywhere that is going to answer your last question. I/we can only tell you that XXXXX - scenery works, because it's DX10 compatible, or the YYYY-aircraft also works, because it's DX10 compatible. Most of the time we have to rely on each other for that information. A couple of days ago the WACO YMF-5 was released by Alabeo: I flew one of those as a radio controlled aircraft - just a fabulous aircraft! But now I fly only DX10 - so I asked on the FSX forum and got a reply today. It is - so out comes the Visa card! Same with setting up your FSX so that it works better than FSX-DX9. We can help you if you need it, all you have to do is ask!

Hope this helps!

Make sure highmemfix=1 is located in the Graphics section of your FSX.cfg. As mentioned here several times, older aircraft and scenery made for FS9 and earlier versions of FS are not compatible with DX10 Preview. To fix this you must get the payware, Addon Converter X. It runs in the background and, when it sees older textures made for FS9, it will convert those textures so they are compatible with DX10 Preview in FSX. The CS757 was made for FSX but the developer may have left some old FS9 textures. I have it but it's not installed. Perhaps someone who owns that aircraft can post as to its compatibility with DX10. Even so, the Addon Converter X will convert those textures while you are flying in DX10 Preview mode.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did a small amount of testing of the aircraft lights when Steve first posted his Blog, Bri, and I was parked at Concrete. On some aircraft - the C172 I had the results he was expecting, but when it came to the landing and strobes - I saw the street lamps come on at the same times as they did - and flash in sync with the strobes. It didn't do it with all aircraft, though, and after looking at the aircraft cfg's, it was apparent that I had installed the Shockwave lights at some time, and they were still there in those aircraft. I then re-installed the REDUX back into the system, but wasn't aware of the runway lights issue as I rarely fly at night - however I will test this, as - for some - it could be a show-stopper.

Back later.

pj

Hi Paul,

I to have the A2A REDUX lights installed and having the same proplems with the lights flashing on and off as you had said. Have you tried uninstalling A2A REDUX? If so did you have the same problem? I have all of your additions to the FSX.CFG file as Steves Shadow setup for DX10. The flashing lights now is the issue dring night flying; of course in daylight flying the issue is not there. I will uninstall A2A REDUX and see what happens.

Les

Haha! Hi Les! Unfortunately - I think the problems with your lighting will get worse!

Steve's fix, may be - (at this moment, as I don't know for sure) - not a complete fix, as I was only partially involved in his testing. The lighting methods on both DX9 and DX10 are strange, in the least. On the aircraft I tested - I think all that had the A2A solution worked just fine: all those with default lighting had issues.

67, RETIRED AND LOVING IT, TOO!

Haha! Hi Les! Unfortunately - I think the problems with your lighting will get worse!

Steve's fix, may be - (at this moment, as I don't know for sure) - not a complete fix, as I was only partially involved in his testing. The lighting methods on both DX9 and DX10 are strange, in the least. On the aircraft I tested - I think all that had the A2A solution worked just fine: all those with default lighting had issues.

67, RETIRED AND LOVING IT, TOO!

Paul J

Thank God Acronis and a 3TB 3.0 USB connection. I did uninstall the A2A 3D Lights! As you said I would have more problems and I did just that. I then recovered the drive again from the backup and everything went fine. :rolleyes: I then flew from LAX and the area to check the the FPS because for me this is the most intense area and I got from 20 to 35 FPS @ night which wasn't to bad. The lights on the ground did not flash on and off and the head lights on the autos glistened as they drove by which was neat! I did have a notice that there was new driver for my NVidia Classified card which is new 9-13-12. I downloaded it and installed it. Paul; when you install a new driver should the new driver uninstall the old driver?

I have Steve's shadow program installed along with your entries into the FSX CFG file. Sometimes I will get a blue patch on the ground and then the graphics will draw in but is like a flash of blue. When I press the F12 key the overhead view will like crazy with a lot of sharp polygons. Could this be a driver that is still in the system? Also there is shimmering around the edges of the waters edge which I didn't have before I uninstalled A2A 3D Lights.

That's enough for tonight!

Les :mad:

I uninstalled my old NVidea driver and installed the new 306 driver and everything is back to normal.

Thanks,

Les

175 meg! Wow!

Downloading as we speak... I'm glad you have it fixed, Les. :drinks:

The more success we see here, the more people will want to share that success, and the more - I would hope - attention our developers will pay to ensuring DX10 compatibility with their products. I asked about the F1/CoolSky DC-9 that's just released, and one of their beta testers got back with a post, saying it was - so there's a replacement for the venerable LSH Maddog.

I also bought the Alabeo Waco YMF-5 - WHAT A FABULOUS AIRCRAFT!!!

I cannot speak highly enough of its flying characteristics, its appearance and the attention to detail that the devs have paid to it. I test flew one of our R/C flying club's MK Waco YMF-5 years ago - and it is just the same. All came back. What a beaut! .... Also DX10 compatible.... bonus, eh? :lol:

This is a two part question.

1. I have downloaded and installed Steve's 3.0 shader and installed it, no issue. When I fly theC172 default, the shadows in the cockpit looks pretty good. When I fly the 747 default, the shadows are sometimes jagged and not lookimg like the ones in the C-172. Can you explain this?

2. I have read alot about the inspector and all of you useing it. I have been using the ventubo.com/fsx.html to setup my fsx.cfg file and making the edits that you have recomended. The question is; is this program simular to the inspector giving you suggestions on how to setup your .CFG file? The screen shots I have seen of the inspector are hard to read and with all 1000005 for example gets comfusing.

Can someone explain this in a laymans perspective? I am always open to learning something new.

Thanks,

Les