Sign in to follow this  
Ken_Stallings

Airport lights, old airplane skins, & cockpit lights?

When I fly the 747 default, the shadows are sometimes jagged and not lookimg like the ones in the C-172. Can you explain this?

I don't think this can be explained. Some aircraft look better than others. Do not think DX10 is going to get rid of the jaggies. We are trying to reduce the jaggies but AA is very, very difficult to fix as it is a driver issue.

The question is; is this program simular to the inspector giving you suggestions on how to setup your .CFG file? The screen shots I have seen of the inspector are hard to read and with all 1000005 for example gets comfusing.

There are a lot of examples on settings for the Nvidia Inspector. Paul has posted at least one here. There's one in Srjan Word Not Allowed's software/hardware guide pinned at the top of the Hardware Forum. I know another excellent one is over in the PMDG forum. The NI is not hard to read. Not sure where you are getting this information or what image you were looking at. If you are confused at the settings, they are mostly the same as in the Display Driver settings (like in the Nvidia Control Panel) but NI as a couple of additional settings that work better with FSX. The settings do not work on every system as no system is the same but they are great guides. I personally believe that *******'s config settings for FSX are for older less powerful systems. I recently proved this theory on my own by renaming my fsx.cfg to fsx.orig and then restarting FSX and letting the config rebuild. I then ran fsx on the default settings as established by the software maker, Microsoft. I did make a couple of minor changes like further reducing AI, ships, cars, etc., but pretty much the same. I had no tweaks installed whatsoever. FSX ran just as good if not better in DX10 mode. So, don't be looking for the 'holy grail', the 'magic bullet' to make this experience perfect. It probably won't be but we are attempting to make it the best we possibly can.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'll give it a shot, Les.. Inspector and CCC: Nothing to do with the fsx.cfg file (at this point).

Up to about four, maybe five years ago now, I guess, we had a simpler life... no BufferPools, no HIGHMEMFIX, no FFTF, etc., the hardest thing was "ATI or Nvidia?" - and this one is still not fully settled, but by and large it's Nvidia that rules the roost nowadays. The Graphics card has a "driver" - a program that talks to the motherboard and processor. We also have programs with which we can control those drivers... It used to be "Nhancer" for the Nvidia gpu, and it's been replaced by Nvidia's "INspector" that's all.

In the AMD/ATI world, we've had for the longest time - "CCC" - "Catalyst Control Center". CCC does a similar job tio Inspector, has less features than Inspector, and is not so regularly updated with a new version every two or three months. CCC is not very timely in their releases. You will also see another, very much older driver controller software called "RivaTuner", which has suddenly sprung back to life, as it seems some folks are having issues with the vertical synchronization "vsync" of their monitors. Inspector has a mechanism for controlling this, but it seems, it doesn't work for all systems. RivaTuner does have a Vsync control mechanism called "d3dOverrider", which, according to one poster "LeonHardt" - http://forum.avsim.n...c/#entry2472700 works very well, and I would encourage anyone with unsatisfactory vsync, to give it a shot - it might just be the second fix for Nvidia vsync - and it also will work with the ATI/AMD cards, too, (maybe in place of CCC?) and as a replacement for the old ATI TrayTools (ATT), which are very hard to work with.

OK: Venetubo,com... Nothing to do with Inspector or CCC...

:

Is the website for ******* Altuve, a.k.a Avsim member "Bojote". Bojote came on the scene perhaps four years ago, asking for volunteers to try a couple of his "experimental fixes".... BufferPools. He went on, over two years, to dig into FSX, and to add fixes, and to explain them as we tried them. It was also a time when the graphics card manufacturers were beginning to produce more powerful gpu's - and Intel and AMD were battling for supremecy, Intel winning out with their Core2Duo, and then quad and finally the i7 series of world-beating processors. Bojote made tweaking an easier path for many people when he created his web-based "auto-tuner" where one can send in an fsx.cfg, fill in a few boxes, and get a ready-tweaked config file, that will work!

So... there are two pieces of the puzzle - 1). Setting up Inspector - or CCC - and 2). what to add, or change in the fsx.cfg.

At the top of this forum, Les, are three or four pinned posts which contain most all of the info needed to be successful with DX10 - it's actually not very dissimilar from DX9, except that it will take more load, and looks prettier, and appears to be much more stable!

The fsx.cfg:-

Follow the "How-to", Les, it's quite easy, especially if you delete the old one and let fsx build a new one. The instructions are all there.

Inspector:-

Here's a link to a "light" Inspector - using 4xSparseGridSuperSampling. You can copy these figures right into your MS Flight Simulator X profile, and it will work. Just ignore the "100000005" stuff on the right side.

If you still needs some help - pm me, and we'll set something up, OK?

:wink:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'll give it a shot, Les.. Inspector and CCC: Nothing to do with the fsx.cfg file (at this point).

Up to about four, maybe five years ago now, I guess, we had a simpler life... no BufferPools, no HIGHMEMFIX, no FFTF, etc., the hardest thing was "ATI or Nvidia?" - and this one is still not fully settled, but by and large it's Nvidia that rules the roost nowadays. The Graphics card has a "driver" - a program that talks to the motherboard and processor. We also have programs with which we can control those drivers... It used to be "Nhancer" for the Nvidia gpu, and it's been replaced by Nvidia's "INspector" that's all.

In the AMD/ATI world, we've had for the longest time - "CCC" - "Catalyst Control Center". CCC does a similar job tio Inspector, has less features than Inspector, and is not so regularly updated with a new version every two or three months. CCC is not very timely in their releases. You will also see another, very much older driver controller software called "RivaTuner", which has suddenly sprung back to life, as it seems some folks are having issues with the vertical synchronization "vsync" of their monitors. Inspector has a mechanism for controlling this, but it seems, it doesn't work for all systems. RivaTuner does have a Vsync control mechanism called "d3dOverrider", which, according to one poster "LeonHardt" - http://forum.avsim.n...c/#entry2472700 works very well, and I would encourage anyone with unsatisfactory vsync, to give it a shot - it might just be the second fix for Nvidia vsync - and it also will work with the ATI/AMD cards, too, (maybe in place of CCC?) and as a replacement for the old ATI TrayTools (ATT), which are very hard to work with.

OK: Venetubo,com... Nothing to do with Inspector or CCC...

:

Is the website for ******* Altuve, a.k.a Avsim member "Bojote". Bojote came on the scene perhaps four years ago, asking for volunteers to try a couple of his "experimental fixes".... BufferPools. He went on, over two years, to dig into FSX, and to add fixes, and to explain them as we tried them. It was also a time when the graphics card manufacturers were beginning to produce more powerful gpu's - and Intel and AMD were battling for supremecy, Intel winning out with their Core2Duo, and then quad and finally the i7 series of world-beating processors. Bojote made tweaking an easier path for many people when he created his web-based "auto-tuner" where one can send in an fsx.cfg, fill in a few boxes, and get a ready-tweaked config file, that will work!

So... there are two pieces of the puzzle - 1). Setting up Inspector - or CCC - and 2). what to add, or change in the fsx.cfg.

At the top of this forum, Les, are three or four pinned posts which contain most all of the info needed to be successful with DX10 - it's actually not very dissimilar from DX9, except that it will take more load, and looks prettier, and appears to be much more stable!

The fsx.cfg:-

Follow the "How-to", Les, it's quite easy, especially if you delete the old one and let fsx build a new one. The instructions are all there.

Inspector:-

Here's a link to a "light" Inspector - using 4xSparseGridSuperSampling. You can copy these figures right into your MS Flight Simulator X profile, and it will work. Just ignore the "100000005" stuff on the right side.

If you still needs some help - pm me, and we'll set something up, OK?

:wink:

Good morning Paul,

Thank you for replying to me and asereing my questons. You have cleared up a lot of questions for me and I thank you!. As you suggested I deleted my fsx.cfg file and let fsx make a new one. I the went to ventubo and did the cfg thing along with ticking the VYSNK box. I then as I mentioned above I then modified the cfg file with the tweeks you have. I had mentioned that when night flying the street lights flickered on and off. With cleanning the cfg file took care of the problem. Last light I flew over Southern California @ night and the light on and off thing did not happen and each session I flew @ a minumum of 45 minutes to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Now I do have a question or issue. In DX9 when a scenery pollygon redrew on the screen sometimes you woulld get a black pollygon in the shape of the area that it is tryng to redraw. In DX10 it is a blue area that flashes on for about 1.5 seconds but is visable if you are makeing a recording. It has to be a setting in the cfg file or fsx and or in the Nvidia control panel or both. Have you ever had this issue and if so what did you do?

Now another thing that I had found early on and is; when I right click my desktop and select NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL; which opens a whole new world of settings for MS Flight simulator X. You can setup a profile for Flight Simulator X. They all ready have a profile but you can allso modifie the profile to your system. If you run (2) cards in SLI as I do you can set the cards to use both cards in SLI. Pretty cool!

i have found that if you run more than on monitor that will take the resources from each card to make up the differnce. In other words each monitor will run at a slight differnt resolution and also took away from FSX! because the video cards were trying to run two or more monitors. I wanted to run (3) moniitors and have the front view one and the side monitors for the left and right cockpit windows. That didn't work for me so I went back to (1) monitor.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Les

In DX10 it is a blue area that flashes on for about 1.5 seconds but is visable if you are makeing a recording. It has to be a setting in the cfg file or fsx and or in the Nvidia control panel or both. Have you ever had this issue and if so what did you do?
Have only tried to make a video once, (unsucessfully) Les - with DXtory a few days ago, so no, can't help with that one.

select NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL; which opens a whole new world of settings for MS Flight simulator X

AAaaaah! You've not tried Inspector, have you! It has many more functions than the NCP, and will (at long last) control vsync. Download it here. Once installed - open it, and follow the directions here, with the one exception - use the settings provided in the "How-to" guide, reducing the 8xSGSS down to 4x if you don't have a high-end system. (4x is pretty good, anyway, and will give more headroom) (Thanks Jim). Note - vsync option needs to be set to "Standard" and "1/2 Refresh Rate."

Hope this helps, Les!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Have only tried to make a video once, (unsucessfully) Les - with DXtory a few days ago, so no, can't help with that one.

AAaaaah! You've not tried Inspector, have you! It has many more functions than the NCP, and will (at long last) control vsync. Download it here. Once installed - open it, and follow the directions here, with the one exception - use the settings provided in the "How-to" guide, reducing the 8xSGSS down to 4x if you don't have a high-end system. (4x is pretty good, anyway, and will give more headroom) (Thanks Jim). Note - vsync option needs to be set to "Standard" and "1/2 Refresh Rate."

Hope this helps, Les!

Paul,

I've got to be the hardest nut to crack....! I just downloaded the NVidia Inspector and I have installed it. Also I have printed all the documentation. I will let you know how I come out.. Also I purchased the Waco today and flew it around doing a few rolls and really enjoying the plane. I looked to see if there was a manual for it and didn't find one. Do you know if a cover can be put over the front seat area? Plan on taking the wife out to a movie and when we get back I will be working on the Inspector..

Thanks!!

Les :lol: ^_^

Les - I went looking through the screenshots on the site, and saw 1 pic of a Waco with a cover on... but no instructions anywhere, and only a datasheet with the download. THEN I took a look at my account... nothing, then clicked on "Updates & Patches" - blow me down - there's a service pack for it - out already! I'm downloading it as I type, so let's hope for a bit of a manual, and some instruction for a cover... :lol:

I'll be back..

pj

PS.. Hope it was a good film..

Edit: I left a question re the cover on their website, Les, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

:smile:

Good Morning, Les! - I went into the 2-D view this morning - and voila! a "sort-of" instruction thingy is there, waiting! Duh!

You would think there might be some reference to it somewhere, wouldn't you? Most/many folk don't use 2-D any more, and it was only in another post (asking about views and keys) which prompted me to use F10. There's not even an Alabeo forum (that I can find). <_<

Thanks for the info. I pressed sht+2 & 3 and one give me a menu which I then could put the front cockpit cover on... COOL! This plane is really fun to fly around and when you roll the engine sounds are fantastic!

FIRST OF ALL I DELETED FSX.CFG file and then run FSX in DX10 mode.

I then installed the Inspector and made the settings as the direction specified.

I did make a few changes and here is what I did.

Antialiasing Settings = 4x4 Multi Sampling

Anisottropic Filtering Mode = Aplication Controlled

I then run FSX @ KLAX at night and in the day. I did notice that I was still seeing blue polygons on the scenery at times. I set backe and tried thinking what I had missed in the inspector. I then reopened Inspector and I had to re-enter all the information; but this time I went to the SLI section and there where I didn't mke any selections the first time. I then made the changes for my 2 580 3GB cards. Each time you want to make a change in Inspector do you have to re-enter all the information again? I had saved the file and then exited the Inspector.

Now back to the flying! I run FSX in the day and night mode and I did not see any blue polygon flashes. I hope this is not a fluke and it takes care of the issue on my system.

In closeing I want to say the Waco is a joy to fly and the torgue on take off is awsome!! HOLD RIGHT RUDDER IN OR YOU'LL HEAD BACK TO THE BARN!! :Clown: Just like the P-51 Catalac of the sky's! taken from the movie Empire of the Sun " Steven Speilberg film. When Christian Bale (Batman) when he made his first movie as a child. Fantastic film to see!!

Thanks for the help... the hard nut has been cracked and now a firm beleiver in Inspector!!!!

Les

:LMAO:

So.... When you opened Inspector, you went to the top-left corner, typed "MS", and then selected MS Flight Simulator X - right?

Once that is done, you made your changes, based upon your thoughts as to what will work, perhaps better - and then you looked up to the top-right corner, and clicked on the "Apply Changes" box..... Yes? :lol:

Hang in there, Les - I hope this has helped!!

Edit: - Did you ever fly the R/C MK version of the YMF-5? Beautiful kit - she flies just like this one! I'll try and dig out some 'photos...

All the Best.

pj

:LMAO:

So.... When you opened Inspector, you went to the top-left corner, typed "MS", (yes) and then selected MS Flight Simulator X - right? (YES)

Once that is done, you made your changes, based upon your thoughts as to what will work, perhaps better - and then you looked up to the top-right corner, and clicked on the "Apply Changes" box..... Yes? (YES I DID) :lol: If everything saved when I clicked on Apply and Save, shouldn't I be able to go back and not have to re-type every thing back in again would I? Or is it saved and can not be edited in at a later date? :LMAO:

Hang in there, Les - I hope this has helped!!

Edit: - Did you ever fly the R/C MK version of the YMF-5? Beautiful kit - she flies just like this one! I'll try and dig out some 'photos... ( yes by all means I would like to see the photos!)

No. I have not seen the plane.. you wrote and told me there was an update for the Waco already. I checked and was unable to find on thier web site?

All the Best.

pj

Login to the site, and then look at your account - it shows along the top as "Updates & Patches" in blue print.

I went through all the pics - none. :( sorry. Blue and yellow, same paint design as the green/white one. MK used to make som beautiful kits - very nicely-cut wood, etc..

There should be no issue with Inspector, Les - the settings are saved as a .nip file in the Nvidia\Inspector\Profiles folder, and when you next open it up, choosing the configuration button, then highlighting 'GLOBAL_DRIVER_PROFILE, typing MS, then selecting MS Flight Simulator - that profile should be pulled in and presented to you, with that title up in the top-left slot. What you set in there earlier should be there - you can then change it to your heart's content, and save it as some other name. I can't figure where you're having a glitch..

more :( .. It has to be some little thing that you're missing, because this is the single, most common interface in the sim world. I don't have two cards, or SLI - so maybe each card has to be configured separately??? At the bottom of the first (opening) screen there's a slot which tells you which card you're dealing with..... maybe you've set up the first card, then the next time it pops up with the second card, cfg showing?? Does this make sense?

Login to the site, and then look at your account - it shows along the top as "Updates & Patches" in blue print.

I went through all the pics - none. :( sorry. Blue and yellow, same paint design as the green/white one. MK used to make som beautiful kits - very nicely-cut wood, etc..

There should be no issue with Inspector, Les - the settings are saved as a .nip file in the Nvidia\Inspector\Profiles folder, and when you next open it up, choosing the configuration button, then highlighting 'GLOBAL_DRIVER_PROFILE, typing MS, then selecting MS Flight Simulator - that profile should be pulled in and presented to you, with that title up in the top-left slot. What you set in there earlier should be there - you can then change it to your heart's content, and save it as some other name. I can't figure where you're having a glitch..

more :( .. It has to be some little thing that you're missing, because this is the single, most common interface in the sim world. I don't have two cards, or SLI - so maybe each card has to be configured separately??? At the bottom of the first (opening) screen there's a slot which tells you which card you're dealing with..... maybe you've set up the first card, then the next time it pops up with the second card, cfg showing?? Does this make sense?

Checked the Inspector as you suggested and I made the changes and everything is fine.

Thanks!

Les

Waaal Heck! Are ya goin' ta tell me what ya did?? :lol:

Did each card have to be configured?

Paul,

The jury is in.. I got into Inspector and have been playing with the settings. I now have FSX running between 20 and 35fps depending on what I fly and what terrain I fly over and the scenery really looks good. As far as the two cards in SLI, When you set one the other one is the same as the first. Now in the Nvidia Control panl it gave me te option to have each card split the frames or load so they switched back and forth. The Inspector did not give this choice as far as I cam see. I have the frame rate set at max and the fps are up and down as far as 50fps flying over water. Itried the Frame Rate Limiter and set it to 30 and or 50 and that didn't help so I put it back to max.

Wihile flying the new Waco I am seeing some weird screens when I change views from the outsid to the VCockpit view, which somes times I will get the Microsoft FSX wording that comes on and then off. Ths would be like in the windsheild area. I have never had this happen in all the time that I have been flying. This only happens when I fly the Waco no other plane and it isn't consitaint..... 12:30am and time to hit the hay!!

Les :rolleyes:

Yep - that will always happen on any pc during the first load. In DX9 it's black, whether scenery takes longer or the aircaft or airport. The Waco has a lot going on, so the blue "DX10 business card" (my name for it) shows until the loading is complete. Having FSX on an SSD would get rid of it.

Frame rate is pretty subjective, Les: Unlimited frames: - there is a parameter or two that is ignored when this is the case, and the problem you might find with unlimited is that, as sometimes the graphics load is light - and the frames shoot up :dance: but within a few seconds - a heavy load occurs, and frames drop, :( sometimes accompanied by a hiccup - a hesitation. To even it out I set 30 as the target frame, and control the load distribution that way. 30 is very smooth, and now works with Inspector to stop the vsync tearing.

Set to 30 and use the "1/2 Refresh Rate" and "Standard" settings for vsync control (this is a new feature for Inspector) - BUT - if it's working the way you want it to - leave it alone! :lol: