Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Embarrassing confession......

No one enjoys flight simming more than I. I've been doing it religiously since the very early days (at least 15 years ago). I fly mostly GA aircraft, and business jets. However, I still love flying the heavy iron, but I only use airliners that can navigate with the default GPS.

So, that's my confession. And I'm really embarrassed to say that I still do not know how to use an FMS navigation system that's so present in some of the finest models FSX has to offer. I've never taken the time to really learn about SIDS and STARS or programming an FMS. I know I'm really missing out on some tremendous experiences with phenomenal looking aircraft.

No excuses, but by the end of this year, I'm committed to learning how to navigate using this instrument. If you could recommend the best starting point for me in my quest, I'd appreciate it.

Now I feel better getting this monkey off my back!

Stan

Get the ngx, do both tutorials that come with it, then go apply at your local favorite airline for an FO position.

Get the ngx, do both tutorials that come with it, then go apply at your local favorite airline for an FO position.

Hehe agreed. If all you do is the first tutorial you should be set to program the FMS (and be able to fly the plane with ease). I've got a confession too... all that material with the NGX - I've only read a few lines :P

NGX makes it really easy - a lot of the functions have shortcuts if you want... like your ZFW can be auto calculated based on the weights you entered... it makes it simple for people like me.

Route structure is easy. Departure airport - Departure Procedure - Enroute Fixes - (find one that joins star) STAR - destination airport. I recommend Skyvector to assist for routing:

http://skyvector.com/ - Either high altitude enroute or low altitude if planning on less than FL180

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Quality Wings 757 features a simple FMS which is a nice start. The NGX is not an easy plane for "beginners" and has much more than just an FMC. Start slow and sure, that's my advice.

As for your confession, nothing to be ashamed about, that's how i started as well :P

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

First of all, Im far from being an expert ( I mess up quite frequently)

By all means, get one of the high end planes, and do their FMS tutorials, PMDG, QW and Aerosoft have good tutorial flights. (I’m sure there are others, but I don’t own them)

There are several brands/types of FMS and ways to program them, but the principle is the same.

Here is a link to a very good video using the ISG FMS,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXU4gDoDj6c

Hi Stan,

If you own any of the PMDG aircraft, they have tutorial you can use to program the FMC and in their other manuals too. I learned through the tutorials provided with LevelD 767. I like the ones from Captain Mike Ray - http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/airplane-checkrideprocedure-manual-from-capt-ray-r185 as he provides lots of pictures and some comic relief. I think you can download his manuals from FeelThere and Amazon.com. Just do a search for Captain Mike Ray.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The tutorials with the NGX really are first rate. I highly recommend them. Also there are a tons of places on the net to read about procedures that are very good. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but definitley worth it.

Very good, Stan. No problem with that 'lack' though. Turns out it's the sim you want it to be and I think one can be pretty happy with 'just' using the GPS and finding his way around.

On the airliners, there are some fine ones with the classic gauge setup, far away from any GPS or even FMC setups. And there are also some more coming up, namely the DC-9 from Coolsky, looking :O good.

This is just to avoid the other lack, only being able to run a FMC, but wondering what the needles on the old planes show you. ^_^

Same here Stan!

I simply can't get past the default navigation. I only fly the commercial jets and only use the default GPS. Don't have a clue about the FMS stuff. I tried the PMDG 737 for FS9 and spent about 2 days on the tutorial and finally gave up. I really can't get motivated to try it again. Seems like a heck of a lot of effort just for a pc flightsim game. I'm not a real pilot and never will be. Besides I like to play with all different types of aircraft.

Bruce

Using Boeings as an example ( I dont fly Scarebuses), there are 2 basic types of FMC's available, those that you MUST program the flight plan with, and those that allow you to load a FS flight plan directly into the FMC, which saves a heck of a lot of time....

Just 2 examples... PMDG, you must program it manually

QW 757, accepts flight plans from not only the default planner abut also from 3rd party addons

All other features are pretty much the same

Jay

No one enjoys flight simming more than I. I've been doing it religiously since the very early days (at least 15 years ago). I fly mostly GA aircraft, and business jets. However, I still love flying the heavy iron, but I only use airliners that can navigate with the default GPS.

Stan

While I generally know how to program the FMC (although I only have 2 aircraft that have one), I use the GPS for a different reason. I think ATC is a must and you really can't fly with ATC (takeoff to landing) with the default ATC and VNAV.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Stan,

If your interested on getting your feet wet with a basic FMC and interested in saving a few bucks at the same time, try downloading the JustFlight Freemium 757 package.

Bill

What's an FMC?

I've looked all over the Beaver cockpit and I can't find it.

What am I looking for?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

What's an FMC?

I've looked all over the Beaver cockpit and I can't find it.

Now I feel better!

:LMAO: Keep looking!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10