Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Adding 3rd-party add-ons

Didn't see this anywhere yet, so let me ask - does one have to install a 3rd-party product twice if you are using both FSX and P3D, or can each FS reference one install?

Does that Estonia Migration tool perform this, one install-two references?

I would think there could be issues with some products (like ORBX), but have not investigated that yet.

thx,

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Depending on an addon. Some can install at the same time, some can't. FSUIPC, FSDT both can AFAIK. Others might not, you may have to run the installer twice.

Estonia does nothing else but make P3D pretend it's FSX and make an original FSX installer install into correct P3D folders.

You might check my blog, as it contains some info on this, with soon much more to come. I am in the process of reinstalling my complete FSX and P3D under double OS install for correct testing platforms.

There is also a list of addon compatibility and some additional info.

Might add. some installer look for a previous install in the registry opposed to a FSX.exe .So, if you try to install again the only option will be a repair install in the current location.

Quite correct. This is why I opted for the solution with two operating systems. I simply cloned by current one onto another disk (I right now have 7 of 8 SATA ports connected, with 1 free for my future SSD for FSX or P3D). I really hated the way there were interrupting each other with different addons. Alone there are no problems or for manual ports, but for anything automatic, installers etc, is where you often get into trouble.

Yep... Whatever that meant :) I see then you have basically two registries. If I need an addon on both sims, I just clone it.

To help clarify, let's say I have Airport 'A' and it is 1GB. Are you saying I will have to install two of them taking up 2GB of space or are you say you will only have to take up 1GB of space but run the installer twice?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

You can either:

1) install it twice, taking up 2GB of space

2) add appropriate entries into p3d scenery database, having 1GB installation which is aliased to both scenery databases, fsx and p3d

Since I prefer having two separate operating systems for this, I will have it installed twice. I will have 600GB Vrap for FSX and 512GB SSD for P3D, or the other way...

I would think there could be issues with some products (like ORBX), but have not investigated that yet.

There are definitely issues with Orbx which is causing some wailing and nashing of teeth. But the good news is that Orbx are getting close to releasing a retrofit dual installer for all their product.

ORBX is easily installable - use the Migrator to install, using the FSX installer and in the end, just throw in the latest libraries. You are fully set to go.

ORBX is easily installable - use the Migrator to install, using the FSX installer and in the end, just throw in the latest libraries. You are fully set to go.

But don't do it, or you may have to it again. A little patience is called for until the Dual Install is released quite soon. It is also worth pointing out that the Migrator is NOT the complete answer as some AI aircraft at places like YMAv (Avalon) Airshow are NOT migrating correctly.

I don't know, I didn't see any problems here. Don't own Avalon though, it is possible that there are some singular problems.

Thx for the tips. I will have to decide later down the road if I too should go the dual-boot route. I think I would prefer not too. I will need to keep both FSX and PD3 on the PC. Like everyone else, will have to go through some installs and see how they react.

Word Not Allowed, was gonna see what you cfg tweaks are but you took down your comparison article at you blog which I understand had them listed? Aren't they just a few compared to FSX? Posible to list them again?

For Nvidia Inspector - use the same as FSX and just create a new profile name?

thx,

Clutch

Clutch, quite correct, I took it down because a new comparison is coming. The old one was wrong, and I am currently installing stuff into P3D installation, the FSX one is over and done. It takes days to finalize everything, so bear with me please.

It will contain some really nice comparisons like the new KPHX, Corfu X, I maybe even get the QW Avro ^_^

I would like to put the comparison with NGX, but you know how the license stuff is currently. If PMDG opens up, then of course.

NI - using the same profile, just added the p3d exe in the list.

Hey take your time - no rush. I actually just for giggles renamed my FSX.cfg to Prepar3d.cfg to see what would happen. It's running great!? I mean like I am impressed on performance type great. So I will just double-check with your new article when you are done. Guess I don't need Inspector? Strange but happy. Ok back to my external gauge panel....

Clutch

Yeah, been meaning to tell you: my P3D is tweaked the exact same way as FSX is, and works great! But I wouldn't port the fsx.cfg to prepar3d.cfg, because prepar3d.cfg contains some other configs that fsx.cfg doesn't, I don't know what happens behind that door. So I suggest just go quickly through my guide and just set it all accordingly and you are set.

Of course Inspector is needed if you want the same picture quality as in FSX. Just add the prepar3d.exe to the list of apps in the inspector under the MS Flight Simulator X profile and you are set.

Edit, here you go, quicker:

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Usepools=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[GRAPHICS]

ForceWindowedVSync=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=True

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000